Sign in to follow this  
Guest robains

FSX and 8800GTX 768MB DDR3 video card... :(

Guest robains

Actually it is a pretty good boost and I've overclocked the 8800GTX to gain a couple more fps which indicates to me that FSX is not CPU limited on my setup (3.9Ghz X6800).However, 14 fps min is not exactly stellar, but sure is better than 7 fps. -- again I'm talking mins becuase average and max mean nothing to me when I'm on final to SFO or Gatwick or any other large airport.I'm not here to say what fps is acceptable to others, my point of acceptance is around 30 fps.A lot of people don't understand DX9c nor DX10 and how it relates to graphics coding. DX10 doesn't suddenly make software graphics run faster, it brings on more realistic features and these don't SPEED things up, they slow things down. The key is that DX10 at least provides the ability to use/implement new features. There is NO magic speed bullet in DX10.It will give the graphics coder more tools to play with, but DX10 in itself will not be "faster" just because it is DX10 on a DX10 capable graphics card.Rob.

Guest robains

Hi Jim,Based on the graphics setting I have in FSX and in the Control Panel, my system is actually running considerably better than all other results I've seen (at least from the folks that post screen shots with details about their graphics settings).Like I've said before, people say "it runs great on my system" but don't post all the details or just toss out a few and leave the rest hanging (just not very helpful).The number I use are mins as average and max are pretty meaningless to me when I'm on final to SFO.Rob.

Guest robains

Dave, I'd be happy to do that.1. I'll get some screen shots up of my graphics settings (both control panel and within FSX)2. I'll get some screen shots up with the weather and long/lat values so you can position Aircraft the samebe sure to show the frame rate counter.

If you want to do it easier and have even more comparable results, save both the situation (which includes the weather) and your settings, find the save files then email them to each other for comparison. Make a couple of different scenarios to give a good idea of performance in a few varying circumstances. If you want me to give more detailed instructions, let me know.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>>I'm posting my results so that others can determine if the>8800GTX will be enough for them to "save the day" with FSX.>What is needed to "save the day" with FSX is each persons expectations. I think, in your case (30 fps minimum at all times), the "save the day" hardware is about 1.0-1.5 maybe 2.0 years away. I hate to say that, but that's the best educated guess I can make at this time.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>A lot of people don't understand DX9c nor DX10 and how it>relates to graphics coding. DX10 doesn't suddenly make>software graphics run faster, it brings on more realistic>features and these don't SPEED things up, they slow things>down. The key is that DX10 at least provides the ability to>use/implement new features. There is NO magic speed bullet in>DX10.Right. Never in the history of D3D has a new API ver ever resulted in massive speed gains. New features yes. But a lot more speed? No. So if DX10 gives us big fps gains in FSX, it would be a landmark first with Direct3D. I just don't see that happening. It would be such a break with tradition if it did. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest navav2002

"errr folks, I'm running an X6800 at 3.9 Ghz and my FSB is around 1500Mhz -- hot is right, it runs hot that's why I have it cooled to -10 degrees C."Phase Change Cooling?? What set-up are you using?? Or did you build it up yourself??I'm hoping to do a new Rig soon...Thinkin' about Phase Change..Not sure though...Thanks,

When was this card released? Anyone know? does it work with TripleHead2Go for three monitors?Hmm...I didn't realize the DX10 cards were out.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Manny: it was released last week. Yes it does work with triplehead as that's what i use it for. I bought the GTS model myself due to not having a pc capable of powering or fitting the GTX. It is without a doubt the single greatest upgrade that i have ever done. It increased the frame rate on all of my games (other than FS9/X) by 50-75% with full AA and AF on if you so desire. I could never run NFS Most Wanted with everything turned up full high with my 7900gt but now it's like glass at that setting. What the card did do for FS9/X is greatly smooth out the motion, especially when panning, all but eliminate the blurries, and provide for a much greater visual effect due to the ability to use high levels of AA and AF. It also took a 12% overclock without even thinking about it. There is not a game that i own now that doesn't run in 3840x1024 with maxed out effects that isn't butter smooth, except for of course sitting on the runway in seattle in FSX, but that's another story.... I don't play any of those wacky EQ/NWN2/Oblivion games which can own a graphics card so i can't testify as to how they run, but from what i've read, it has greatly improved those as well. It was $499 in stock at my local microcenter the day that it was released. :)My Intel rep is trying to procure me a kentsfield quad core cpu this week but I haven't heard back yet if he was successful or not. If he can get one for me then next week I will be building a new box and probably taking back my GTS and getting a GTX instead since I will have a box that can handle it then. :)Dave

Thanks for that info Dave.IS the GTX longer than the GTS? Is that why you can't fit it in?It also says "Max Resolution 2560x1600"...What does that mean for Triplehead2ggo?I have an Enermax 550W PSU. But I am also running two pais of HD. 1 Pair 150 10K Raptors and another Pair of 2 X 250Gig HD. Would the pwer be sufficient?Manny

Manny

Hard to say on the PSU. This is a very handy webpage for figuring it all out based on the gear you have though:http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jspI am getting a 700watt when i build my new pc. The card is very long and won't fit in any old case. The GTS barely fits in my Dell XPS machine and this case is pretty big for a mid tower. Most people are saying that you will need a very large mid tower or a full tower for this card. All of Nvidia's cards have that 2560x1600 rating but all their newer hardware will do 3840x1024 with no problem. ATI cards will NOT do anything greater than 2560x1600 for games so they are worthless for triplehead users. Hopefully they will fix this shortcoming in their R600 DX10 cards but knowing ATI, I doubt it.Dave

Guest chrispy

>And yeah, to the original poster I seriously hope you're>playing other games to see what that card can really do - get>The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2>etc... FEAR might be pretty good game to test it on to, note my 7900GT and Dual core pentium can run it on ultra high but just for the heck of it.

Allright Dave... I just got back from Fry's. I have the 8800GTX card with me. Haven't opened it. Maybe tomorrow I'll install it. Normally I would have gotten it from newegg instea of paying taxes and what not. But I saw the card at Fry's and couldn't keep my hands off. I have the Liam Li PC61USB Mid tower. I hope it fits.:)Manny

Manny

Got my BFG 8800GTX yesterday.It dwarfs my older 7800GTX in size and just barely fit in my coolerMaster Cavalier case.One look at the fan & you'd think that it would sound like a jet, but in all honesty it isn't any louder than my 7800GTX was - in fact I think it's more quiet. The 7800 was already a quiet card.As for performance... In FS9 & FSX there are some improvements to be had in the range of +-5 FPS + some increased graphic settings. So overall nothing too major there.However throw in just about any other game & this card is amazing! Doom3, FEAR, NFS Carbon, BF 2142... all run incredibly well on the 8800GTX.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161122.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

jamiee,You are quite right in your evaluation. I have the same opinion.All right..I couldn't wait.. I had to install and in the process messed up a few things and went on a panic mode. I have two sets of RAID 0. The primary Raptor set has the FSX which was fine,,, but the Second RAID 0 set had the FS9 and other stuff.. I lost the second one. So I thought. but it was actually some lose connection.But here is the annoying deal. I had to register Wix XP all over again. I got that "This is anew hardware and requires a new copy of Win XP and hence you need to register within 3 days" ...all the while,, I was getting a whole bunch of errors because my F: drive was no more... To see that reregisting message at the same time.. I couldn't see my HD...was really upsetting. I was so livid. I don't get that. I had to call MS and read out and enter a 48 digit number twice. . Once over an automated system and the second time to a person. I didn't even change my MB nor my processor. This is stupid. This is unacceptable. The congress needs to interfere. MS is out of line...totally.Ok... GTX card was huge. So I had to disconnect my Floppy drive. There is no use for this thing now, having loaded my RAID driver anyway..so I took it out.Installed the driver.. But I didn't remove the previous version of the driver properly so that gave some grief..so I had to use the DH cleaner and cleaned out the old driver and reinstalled the new driver.I started FSX. IT was for the most part the same as I had with the 7600GT... but had some improvement since the video driver memory consuption was around 400MB out of the 768MB that was part of the cardI also benefited from the new Antialiasing. The big Shimmering I had was almost gone.I also ran the FS9. I think, the Megascenary blurries that I used to have may not be there anymore. This card seems to have much impact on my FS9 than on my FSX. Hmmm... Too soon to tell. I'll need to play with it a little more.My MB temp went up by 5degree atleast.The Aquamark score went from 105FPS to 175FPS.I had this crackling sound problem on my PC..and that has gotten a lot worse. I need to figure that out and fix it.Manny

Manny