Sign in to follow this  

Lil' aviation and math Help

Guest usaircon

Hey guys i need some help...can some1 tell em soem ways that aviation relates to Mathematics i just wanna see becasue i need some more ideas...plz plz plz help me

Interesting question. There's lots of ways math relates to aviation which are beyond me. However, for sim purposes I have something that helped me learn to "fly":d=(hg)/(m60) where:d = descent speedg = ground speed (knots)m = how many miles to where you to descend h feeth = altitude to descendEdit: oops, I said miles. I mean natical miles.Let's say at VOR XXX I wish to be at 5000 feet. Right now I'm at 15000 feet. My ground speed is 240. I'm 47 miles from VOR XXX.So d= (10000 * 240) / (47*60)So d = 851 which means maintain 851 feet per minute descent, and keep your ground speed at 240.Interestingly enough if you swap d and m in the above equation, you get an equation that given a desired descent rate, m is how far out in miles you need to be to start that descent.It's just to figure out a close to right descent rate. I've discovered I don't need it anymore because I automatically come up with descent rates now after lots of practice.I get the idea this is for a school project or something, so how about:During an approach, the glideslope (at most?) airports is 3 degrees.This means the glideslope is the hypothneus of a right triangle. If you work out the math, you discover you need to descend about 1000 feet per every 4 miles. In other words, this is a quick check to see if you are anywhere near the glideslope. If you are 4 miles from the airport, and at 3000 feet up (airport is a 0 feet), you are WAY off the glideslope.If this is for school, perhaps a fancy diagram depicting this triangle would be useful.I use this stuff to help me get my sim flying right. This has nothing to do with real flying except that it might provide approximations. It might be useful to get a good grade.For God's sake don't use this to code that autopilot you're building for some aircraft company. :)Also, I made an equation to convert millibars to inches of mercury, which are diffrent units of barometric pressure. Instead of looking it up, I took two readings from the sim, like 29.92 hg=30.12 mb and 30.06 hg =10.17 mb. Then I used two equations with two unknowns to algebraically derived a formula to convert between the two. I leave that exercise up to the reader. :)There's also fuel usage etc etc calculations.You can have fun with weight, like a bag is average 40 lbs, and each passenger staticisally brings 1.5 bags so 50 * 1.5 * 40 = whatever (I'm just shooting numbers out of my head)Enjoy.Hmmmm. Maybe I need to get a life. :)

Guest usaircon

thank you guys for all teh awesome answers they all will help thx soooo much

>For God's sake don't use this to code that autopilot you're building >for some aircraft company:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol Thats funny