Sign in to follow this  

Bell 47 Instrument

Can someone tell me what the small red stick/wand above the panel does.No amount of manouvering or increasing the wind seems to have any effect on it. Thought it was a wind indicator. It just waves slowly between 12 and 1 o'clock.Baz

Guest Lindy

I thought I was the only one getting that!!!! I haven't seen anybody else comment about it. It stays there even if you're in the Virtual Cockpit, and it's VERY annoying. :~P I hope someone posts a fix to get rid of it......... I don't think it's supposed to be there.-Lindy :-wave :-rotor

And I've been too embarassed to post. Thought it must be something really important like a parking ticket holder. :-lol Baz

This piece of tape helps when flying a helo,I do think it may not be in the correct place but hard to tell and its not working correctly, it moves around in the wind and can give the pilot directions to which way the wind is blowing and also he can use it as a horizon indicator.If it blows up straight it can mean he as forward motion.If it drops down it can give u an idea of hover mode. This one does not appear to work properly and seems to be cosmetic. Take a look at a lot of helos with a lot of glass and u will probably see a piece of tape hanging there. If u stick a piece of tape on your monitor around the horizon level this is similar to what real helo pilots do. This helps in keeping your helo in level flight, but no wind effect. Denis the Menace

Guest Lindy

Well, thanks for the explanation Denis..... you learn something new every day, I guess. None of my other choppers has anything like that, so this is very new to me.Such attention to detail is to be commended even if it doesn't work as intended. I'll just learn to ignore it. :-)-Lindy :-wave :-rotor

It works fine, it is only limited on what it can do. It is basically a piece of yarn attached with a piece of tape. thats all it is. In this case, its functionality is limited to foreward flight. if the yarn angles to the right, it means you are side-slipping to the left, and vice-versa.

I really can't see the point of adding this if it dosen't work, which this one dosen't. Mine never moves.Also I don't see the logic behind it. If I was flying forward at 10 knots with a 15 knot sidewind this would be telling me that I was side-slipping. There must be that much turbulance from the rotors that that the yarn would be flapping all over but predominantly downwards. Any side wind forces would have to be greater than the rotor force.Cheers Baz