Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Help with AMD CPU upgrade

Guest Lobaeux4

Hey guys, upgrading my 1700 XP to a 2400 XP. I've got an ECS K7VTA3 mobo, I looked on the ECS website, it says that mobo will support the 2400 XP (non-333mhz), I've pulled my 1700 out and replaced it with the 2400, but I get nothing. Switch back and the 1700 works fine. The core voltage is set at 1.7v, but on the AMD web it says it's supposed to be 1.65. I can't find a place to change the voltage on this board, and jumper 7 changes between 5v and 3.3vThis has actually been a pretty good board, ECS probably isn't the greatest name in mobo's but it's actually been pretty good.I'm running WinXP, bios is ver 2.2 (ECS's latest) VIA Hyperion drivers, DirectX 8.1.I hope I haven't fried this processor, I'm using a mighty big heatsink and fan, it's a Speeze AMD recommended.Any ideas? Is there a way I can check to see if this processor is fried? I picked it up from Accubyte, it's an OEM processor, at a cheap price.Thanks,Lobaeux

Guest PhilipManwaring

Well, the CPU might be fried, but before despairing about that I'd check that you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO. Sometimes the older versions don't know how to handle the newer CPUs. It's not a hardware issue - they just need to software support added. Also, try setting the BIOS to safe defaults by disabling all the high speed goodies on RAM access, AGP, etc. just in case something there is causing a problem.

Hey bro, send me an email, I want to know how this works for ya. I am getting the 2400 to replace my 1.4 Tbird. I read that you need to do a BIOS flash (???) so it can recognize the new architecture of the 2400Regards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Lobaeux4

I flashed it with the newest bios from ECS, ver 2.2, but it still didn't work, in fact, I lost the ability to use my second video card as well. Not sure how this happened. I'll check through my bios settings again.Lobaeux

Guest Lobaeux4

Thanks WSieffert, been reading your posts in the Hardware forum as well.Any way of telling whether a CPU is fried or not? I'd like to know before I send it back to Accubyte looking for another one, probably with a mobo as well.Thanks,Lobaeux

You say you get nothing. What do you mean with that? It doesn't even boot? Do you get anything onscreen with the 2400? Did you clear the CMOS?I also use the 2400 but an unlocked one (motherboard is Chaintech 7NJS so not to compare). I am running it -for now- on multiplier 12 with FSB at 166, so 2GHz. If I set my BIOS to the default 2400 settings (15x133) I do not get a proper CPU identification. Again, this is normal on an unlocked 2400. But no matter which setting I choose, the PC alway boots. IF yours doens't I'm afraid there is something bad going on....

Guest nitram

I have this motherboard and I think that the maximum cpu for it is 2100XP. It is to do with the required FSB speed being higher for the 2400XP.

Hi,Check Rev.number of your K7VTA3. Only Rev.3.1 or above supportAthron XP throughbred core even FSB is 266. Rev. 2.0 does notsupport it. That's why I upgraded MB to one with KT333.Yuki

Guest Lobaeux4

Boy you guys are full of good news! Thanks for helping me out. Yes, I've got Rev 2.0 of the mobo, looks like I'm going to have to get a new mobo as well. Oh well, looks like I can also upgrade my sons computer to an AMD 1700, lol.I didn't clear the CMOS, but now I'm glad I didn't. One last question, if I'm running this board and CPU on Windows XP, will it care if I put it into a computer running Win 98SE?Thanks,LobaeuxBTW- Hints for a new mobo?

If you updated the BIOS, you definitely need to clear the CMOS. If you don't, somewhere along the line, something will become amiss. It may work for awhile, but there will come a time!!!The BIOS/MOBO doesn't really care about the OS per say! However, if you install a disk drive up to this MOBO that has Win98 or another Windows OS already on it, it might/will take exceptions. The reason is not the BIOS/MOBO but Windows has optimized for the MOBO and peripherals that were attached on the MOBO you had the drive attached.You can try and let Windows sort it out but sometimes it is better to reinstall Windows, especially earlier versions than XP.

Guest Lobaeux4

LOL, scared to do anymore with this computer!! I guess I'll have to clear the CMOS, when I do that, it'll just boot up as usual, eh? And then I can make my changes to the BIOS then?Thanks,Lobaeux

Yep, just boot as usual and change the settings. But before clearing the CMOS it could be wise to note the current settings..... :(

I'll second Hakkie's post! The only question will be what to do with the new entries that weren't in the old BIOS!:-eek Best guess!!:-lolNot really trying to scare you, ya right!!!:-wink2 You've come this far, why not a little adventure!*:-*