Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

TTools and AFCAD

Guest enave

I've searched the AVSIM file library for TTools and AFCAD but cannot find them. Am I just dense here?

Guest enave

Thanks for the help Joshieca. I guess he didn't use the abbreviation "TTools" anywhere in the description. That looks like the reason I couldn't find it.If I may ask a similar search question: I know for a fact that there are several DC-3's in the Fs2k2 library (for example, if you order by date, there's one on page two and one on page 5), but searching for "DC3" returns nothing, and searching for DC-3 only returns two of them. Do you have a trick of the trade that might help me find them?

Guest Joshieca

The search engine here on AVSIM is a bit strange...unless you know the file name or the authors name it can be difficult to find what you are after....The best thing to do is use the extended search function and the try to sort them by type....listing them under FS2K2 Aircraft should help a bit, but there still will be serveral pages to list though.

Guest enave

Is that a nice way of saying it's completely worthless? :-)Here's an example if anyone thinks I'm being too harsh. Take a look at this file:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...02ac&DLID=28915The filename contains the substring dc3. There should be an option to search for a substring within a filename. In SQL, that would be accomplished through the use of the Like operator. Anyway, using the quicksearch function or the extended search function to search for "dc3" returns zero files.The file linked to above has the string "DC-3" in the name and in the description. But searching for "DC-3" with the extended search function returns zero results.Apparently, the quicksearch function works differently than the extended search. If you use it to search for DC-3 within the FS2K library, you'll get three hits. Two of them are actually DC-3's. The file linked above is not returned.I think the bottom line is that AVSIM's search function is completely broken. I wonder if the people with access to the code would be open to a little outside help. I've got a lot of experience with databases and programming (though only a little with PHP) so I'll be the first to volunteer.Baring that, if they would be kind enough to periodically dump the entire database to a text file, zip it, and make it available for download - that would be great.

Guest Joshieca

Well I have to watch my mouth on the forums, so I can only say nice things from now on. :(About your last part about the library dump, I think that they do each week....do extended search under author for: AVSIM OnlineYou should find the library dumps there...

Guest Matt Johnson

You ever tried applying LIKE to a 30,000 x 384 record space in a timely fashion? (Hint: ain't gonna happen.)There should be an option to search for a substring within a filename.There is. Ever read the Help Guide?=====However, if your criteria mentions .zip then Quick Search will assume you are specifying a filename or specification. This means that: * Entering nl2000_v2.zip will search for precisely that filename in the library. * Entering nl2000*.zip will search for any filenames beginning with 'nl2000' and ending with '.zip'. * Entering n?2000_v2.zip will search for any filenames matching 'n', one character, then '2000_v2.zip'. Basically, file searches function in the same way that DOS would handle them.=====*dc3*.zip does exactly what you want, either in the quicksearch box or in the Filename extended search box.But searching for "DC-3" with the extended search function returns zero results.Thank you for reporting that particular bug, it has been fixed.Apparently, the quicksearch function works differently than the extended search. If you use it to search for DC-3 within the FS2K library, you'll get three hits. Two of them are actually DC-3's. The file linked above is not returned.This is because '-' is a stop-character in the search system. I will be fixing this shortly. Searching for 'dc-3' is currently equivalent to searching for 'dc3'; the file given doesn't show because it only contains the value 'dc-3'.I think the bottom line is that AVSIM's search function is completely broken. I wonder if the people with access to the code would be open to a little outside help. I've got a lot of experience with databases and programming (though only a little with PHP) so I'll be the first to volunteer.I think it's strange that you're the first person to say that. And no, the code isn't being released anywhere.Baring that, if they would be kind enough to periodically dump the entire database to a text file, zip it, and make it available for download - that would be great.We do this every week:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=Misc&Go=Search(Good for a "completely broken" search function, huh?)--M

Guest enave

thanks for fixing that bug Matt. But, I'm still having a problem.The name of this record:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileN...&CatID=fs2002acis:"Douglas DC-3 Air Queensland Air Cargo VH-MAL"And this search does find it:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Name=...&CatID=fs2002acbut this search does not:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Name=...&CatID=fs2002acSo, I guess the problem has something to do with the "-" character. right?

Guest Matt Johnson

That's what I said...