Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

ATC doesn't detect my descent !

Bonjour, This is the third time I experience the same problem with FS ATC : I fly an IFR flight ; everything is as usual until ATC asks me to start my descent. I descend as soon as possible, but FS doesn't seem to detect thai I'm descending : it asks me three times to accelerate my descent and eventually cancels my IFR flight plan ? Has any one an idea ?Maybe I have a clue : I'm flying now in the area of Greenland and Northeastern Canada (New Foundland) and the atmospheric pressure there is extremely low (984 mb) : could that be related ?Thanks for your answers Alain

Guest ssurjap

It could be related. Try accelerating your descent rate. The default is 1800 fpm. Try increasing it to 2700 fpm or higher.Steven

Guest nbl957

Have you set your Alt to standard pressure required for flights over 18000 ft (at least in North America). If not I believe ATC will most certainly cancl your flight.bf

Yes, my altimeter setting was 29.92 in Hg. I had a flight plan for FL340, but due to the low pressure, my real altitude (as read by clicking on Shift+z) vas 33300 ft ! I suspect the pressure, because there were a lot of messages to AI planes telling they were too low or too high !Alain

HiI've started to have the same problem occasionally after installing the excellent WxRE. don't know if the two things are related. I'm getting more and more fed up with the default ATC. I know it's their first attempt, but it would be nice if we could get rid of this irritating habit of cancelling IFR flight plans.I've heard rumors that Radar Contact successfully replaces the default ATC, but need to check up on that. Any ideas?Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest Dominik Mann

>I know it's their first attempt, but it would >be nice if we could get rid of this irritating habit of >cancelling IFR flight plans. I also heard that real world ATC will NEVER cancel your flight plan like that...especially not while at 30k ft plus...

While I can't help you with you current ATC issue, I CAN say that RC3.0 is a very very very good purchase ... if you like MSFS ATC then you will LOVE RC3.I used MSFS ATC on ALL of my flights since FS2002 was published, and yes it was quirky and not overly realistic at all times, but it was better than NOTHING. BUT RC3 ... is the answer if you like flying with ATC. You have to take some time to learn RC3 but it is very straightforward and works extremely well.

Just for information for everybody : I continued my flights to New-Brunswick, where the atmospheric pressure reverted to the normal range (29.91 in), and I had the same problem, but this time during climb. It was without problem during descent. As I fly with FSMeteo which smoothes pressure transitions, I think that the combined effect of smooth pressure transition due to aircraft position and pressure change due to descent or climb somehow confuses the FS ATC.Thanks for your helpAlain

Guest Jet

Where can I find info. on RC3?I am very interested...all I use is ATC for my FS2002 flights and am trying to get more realism.Thanks.

Try using FSmeteo to lock the weather to your destination at least 75nm before reaching the destination. That way you can reset your baro when ATC first asks you to descend and there should be no problems later on. Misha

>> Where can I find info. on RC3?Pop over to the RC forum here at AVSIM & you can check out the RC web site here: http://www.jdtllc.com/Ok I'm biased :-) I've been using Radar Contact since V1, but if you fly mainly IFR (RC doesn't do VFR)& want ATC truly as real as it get's (within the limitations of FS) then RC does ATC by the book. Go get it!

Gosta,Aha! I think I understand now.As for Radar Contact, it looks like I'll just have to buy this once my credit card has recovered from December. It's a long time till pay day!!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)