Sign in to follow this  
Guest dek

Hardware upgrade nightmare - desperate for help

Happy New Year to all,I decided to give myself a gift for Christmas and upgraded my PC from the components listed underneath to new ones:I bought:Mobo - ASUS A7N8X deluxeAthlon XP 2700+2 PC3200 256MB DDR sticksNew 400W power supply.I installed it all following instructions, put my GF3 into it, assembled and plugged all fans (into proper sockets).Symptoms are: PC powers up for 3-4 seconds then goes off.No indications on the monitor whatsoever - black screen.I am so frustrated as I have tried almost everything - I have changed my supply to the old 250W one, I tried other AGP video cards, I tried sticking my memory sticks into alternative slots, reset BIOS jumpers on the mobo - nothing works.I will be grateful for your help.DomMy old system specs:AMD Athlon 1.2GhzASUS A7V133 200Mhz512MB SDRAMnVidia GF3 Ti200 (running on 40.72)Sony Trinitron 19'CH Yoke USB + CH Pro Pedals http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I'm no super-techie, but looks like a serious problem on your motherboard.You get any beeps before it shuts down? If so, how much?No chance to get into the BIOS?Did you self-install the processor?You're sure about the 'proper sockets' in regard to the fans?You did not use on/off switch pins instead?Did the MoBo came out of the box, sealed?You see any LED's on your mobo?What color are they when you turn power on?"simple" check would be to re-install your old MoBo with only the new GF and power supply.See what that does.G.

Asus boards have either a speach POST reporter or a sequence of beeps that will help you diagnose the problem. Try reviewing the Asus manual to see what jumpers need to be set to output this info. You do have the case speaker connected to the correct pins on the Mobo right? Dumb question, but you do have the correct spacers keeping the board off the back of the case, right? Personally, it sounds like a memory problem to me...Asus boards are pretty hardy. Unless you've shorted something out or had a bad static discharge then you're probably ok. Disconnect everything except the video card and see what happens. If that works, then try with just memory and keep adding one device at a time.I don't know about the GF3, but I understand that new mobo's will not accept old (3.3V?) AGP cards. I believe Asus has built-in protection to prevent damage to the board.

Guest dek

Dom, you can also try www.a7vtroubleshooting.com to get help. dek