Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barney1

Iworm-Sobig Virus Alert !!!!!!!!!!!!1

Guest nitram

If you get an email from big@boss.com DELETE IT !!!!!!It contains a worm virus that is only 2 days old.Regards Nitram

Guest Barney1

See here for more info:http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sobig.shtmlAs usual, the email in and of itself is not the problem. But clicking on the attachment will almost certainly do you in!!Practice safe hex; never ever open an attached file that you are not expecting, even when from a trusted emailer. Seek confirmation and verification first from them before activating anything that comes attached to an email.Conversely, when sending attachments yourself, include an announcement of said file(s) somewhere within the body of the message to alert the recipient.

>>>As usual, the email in and of itself is not the problem. Some emails can infect just by clicking on the message. I know this is true as it's happened to me. I had shut off Norton to install some software and upon completion I forgot to restart Norton. A day or so later I received an email from someone I didn't recognize and intended to just delete by right clicking on the message then clicking on 'delete.' Too late, klez worm virus downloaded (the download screen popped up for just an instant) and infected my hard drive and damaged Norton Anti virus to the point that it had to be uninstalled manually (removing keys from the registry and deleteing folders) before I could reinstall Norton. I had always thought that you had to click on an attachment to get the virus but that simply isn't true in every case.Anyway, my point, or question is... how do you get rid of an email without clicking on it?

Guest nitram

Just highlight the email and click on the red X at the top of your outlook. Then right-click on your deleted items folder and click delete. Anyway viewing the email is not a problem, opening the attachment is !!!!!!!!!!

There are several types of virus, each with it's own "special" way of attacking:1.) Those that can be activated by running the attachement.2.) Those that can be activated by viewing the email in the preview pan. (no clicking of the attachment required, just viewing is deadly).3.) Those that are activated by highlighting them (even if you don't have a preview pane on). These are insidious but rare.I've heard that 2003 will have many surprises for all concerning virus.

Thanks, I appreciate that.I did have my preview pane on at the time of my attack... don't now. Are you familliar with the Klez worm? You must still highlight (click on) the questionable message to delete it. You're saying that in most cases if the preview pane isn't on the attack won't occur and you can go ahead and delete. I have been attacked by the Klez worm since I reinstalled NAV and it catches it with no harm done.

Yes, AFAIK, the #2 type of virus can be highlighted (just not activated in the preview pane) and deleted. Turn off your preview pane and delete any suspicious emails. And... hope you don't get a #3 type of virus. #3 can currently be avoided right now by using some other package for email tham Outlook. Something like Eudora or Pegasus...

Guest Barney1

You can also use a program which previews email _before_ downloading to your PC. One such free one is called Pop3Scan. Anything that you do not wish to have can be deleted right then and there. This kind of resembles Caller Display on your phone....if you don't like what you see, delete it!