Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

New $6000 Dell and I get 12 FPS

I just go the latest Dell XPS H2C with the quad core processor OC to 3.47 Ghtz, 2 gig of 1066 ram, dual 8800 GTX cards, Blu-ray drive, 24" flat panel (single monitor set up now until I resolve low fps).Installing FSX was a bear with constant 1335 errors but I finally got it. On the Cessena I only get 10-12 fps with all the sliders at 1/2 way on the scenery. I also loaded FSX SP1. Any advice?

Paul Gugliotta

Guest jimcooper1

>I just go the latest Dell XPS H2C with the quad core>processor OC to 3.47 Ghtz, 2 gig of 1066 ram, dual 8800 GTX>cards, Blu-ray drive, 24" flat panel (single monitor set up>now until I resolve low fps).>Installing FSX was a bear with constant 1335 errors but I>finally got it. On the Cessena I only get 10-12 fps with all>the sliders at 1/2 way on the scenery. I also loaded FSX SP1.> Any advice?OUCH!!One of my systems is a DELL XPS710 based on a X6800 (2.93 GHz), 2GB 1066Mhz, 2 x 8800 GTX, 2 x 24" Panels, WinXP Pro - purchased Jan 07.This give 20-30fps with mostly Med settings, even at Seattle.(AI turned off)The fact that FSX would not install cleanly is immediate cause for concern. DELL put so much 'bloatware' on their systems we usually 'flatten' them and start again. I'm assuming that you are a domestic user rather than a business user so this is probably not an option. My advice is to restore the DELL to factory conditions using the disks provide. Re-start the FSX install process again....as soon as you get an error inform DELL. You should not expect to get errors having paid $6000...for that price they should sweep your yard and skim the pool every week!!RegardsJim

Before you "flatten" your hard drive and rid it of Dell bloatware (which I think is a good idea too), try removing your overclock by returning your BIOS to optimal settings. The reason I suggest this is that I have had this problem on my system before, and just yesterday on my son's system that we just built for him with certain BIOS versions. In both instances, we would get single digit FPS with the default FS9 flight (at KSEA in Cessna) with overclocking settings applied and 40+ FPS with them taken away! For my system, it turned out I had to revert to an ealier BIOS for overclocking to do its magic and for my son, interestingly enough, he had to upgrade to the latest BIOS. After all the messing around we were both getting nearly 60 FPS with the default flight in FS9. This same performance trend occurred with FSX too.Something quick and easy to try anyway.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest Redvan

dont forget to not expect any gains in FSX in having a quad and dual GPU's... but none the less, you should be able to get alot more FPS than that.... dell... that's the problem... ;)

Guest MauiHawk

> How do I get FSX benchmarked on this system??I don't understand... you already said you were getting 12fps... are you looking for something more standardized or averaged than the onscreen readout?That said, I have created a couple of flight recordings that I run and benchmark with fraps to test for improvements when I change something. But there's no standardized way to bench FSX that I know of.

After working with Dell, I got this machine to 40-50 fps. It was never factory over-clocked, and the Dell rep took control of my computer and changed so many settings, I don't know where to begin.LD767 also works great around 20-30 fps. I am still tweaking but at least I am getting much better results.

Paul Gugliotta

Guest jimcooper1

>After working with Dell, I got this machine to 40-50 fps. It>was never factory over-clocked, and the Dell rep took control>of my computer and changed so many settings, I don't know>where to begin.>LD767 also works great around 20-30 fps. I am still tweaking>but at least I am getting much better results.Glad to see that DELL swept your yard and skimmed the pool!!RegardsJim

Guest firehawk44

Make sure you defragged your hard drive after installing FSX AND SP1. I have a similar system and have no problems getting 30 plus frames with most of the scenery sliders set to max - Autogen is either turned off or set to normal.I had a major increase in my FPS after defragging. Hope you can figure out your problem soon.Best regards,Jim

What did he do exactly? I guess he went too fast and did too much to know for sure.I am glad that did it for you, because my $1000 system (specs below) can get 20-25 fps at all but the busiest airports. Then it can dip into the teens but is still quite flyable.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Redvan

>$6000?!? I got my "real world" private pilot license for>$4500!!!lol! Grats on the pilot slot btw :)

Hey thanks! I'm really excited about it, for obvious reasons! I will get paid to fly for the Air Force!!! Yay! And they pay for all my training. People have their opinions, but I think going the military route to become a pilot is a lot better deal than doing it yourself via the civilian way. Unless, of course, you're just stinkin' rich...

I wish I could fly for real, but I can't due to physical limitations - I get motion sickness very easily and get dizzy. I tosses my cookies on many a commercial flight and hurled 3 times in a Level C 767 simulator out of 6 times in one.Flying for real is simply not an option. FSX is my only way of getting close to my flying dream. $6000 is alot, but I got a new toy and am very happy flying in FSX.

Paul Gugliotta

I'm sorry to hear that you can't fly for real. I realize that a lot of people have always dreamed to fly commercially, but can't because of physical or some other limitations. And for that reason, I hope I never take the fulfillment of my dream for granted.