Sign in to follow this  
h.uslar

BUYING MY DREAM SYSTEM FOR FSX

Ok,You convinced me to go with a single video card! Also the 2 gigs of memory are ok. In case I need them in the future, I'd just be a minor investment.Rgds,Henrique

Good decision. BTW, there are a few websites out there that will put a set of components you pick together for you for between $50 and $100. Mwave.com is one of them, although they don't ship internationally, but I am sure there are many others.If you want help defining a good set of components that will work together in harmony, just ask here.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest exmixer

Henrique,Expensive, yes. I believe it also has a 3 year no-fine-print warranty, though you'd want to check that out given your location.The case itself is easily accesible, so installing extra drives etc. is something even I can do . The modem, wireless, extra drives etc. you can get for less online (Newegg is an excellent source) and save some cash there. I got a Vista upgrade coupon with my Falcon box last December, don't know if they still offer that though.The system you're looking at will run FS9 just as you wish...really, really well. I fly low 'n slow, RealAir Cessna, *all* sliders maxed in FS in the Tri-state area (NY/NJ/Conn) with Aerosoft Manhattan scenery and FSgenesis terrain. It's a real treat. There are debates here about enabling AA in FS etc. Bottom line on that is that it seems that if you use the Nvidia profiles, not so good. I don't use the Nvidia profiles at all. I use the same global settings for everything...desktop, FS9 and FSX. Doesn't slow anything down in day to day work, and that includes NTSC full frame 29.97 audio/video capture (Osprey/Viewcast 230 card).With the 8800GTX card you'll see a total of ~ 2.75GB of RAM with 32bit XP. That's a Win 32bit limitation, Google 'XP RAM 32 bit microsoft' and look at the 'Amount of RAM reported...' article. If and when you move to Vista, 64bit, it'll see the full 4GB, sorta ;-)One thing about Falcon...you can talk to them, they'll walk you through what you want and how to get there. As I've mentioned, I have 3 Dell boxes...they want to make a sale. Not that Falcon doesn't, just tell 'em what you *need*, and what you don't. Btw, I don't work for Falcon Northwest :-)As to the vid card, once again, at the moment, 2 cards are just extra heat in the box and your computer area, as others have mentioned here. The 8800GTX drives my Dell 2407WFP and NEC LCD 3735WXM HDTV set without breaking a sweat.jb[a href=http://exmixer.com/]Windows utility links/FS 2004[/a]

I would cut out the modular power supply and use a traditionally-cabled power supply.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi guys!I finally went for the Dell. I haven't get it yet, but these are the specs: 1 222-9472 Intel Core2 Extreme processor QX6700 (2.93GHz, Factory Overclocked ) w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache $3929.00 1 311-7249 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz $0.00 1 320-5185 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX $0.00 1 341-4828 WD, Raptor 160GB NCQ 10K SATA Hard Drive w/16MB DataBurst 1 420-6541 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English 1 313-5448 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW $0.00 1 313-5450 X-Fi PCI Sound Card $0.00 1 313-4722 Dell WL6000 120V 6.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer $0.00 1 341-4850 320GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache $0.00 1 420-6917 Trend Micro PC-cillin InternetSecurity, English, 15-Month Subscription $0.00 What should i expect from this!!?? I am very exited but don't want "to count the chickens before the're born" (A local proverb)Also, the guys from dell made a mistake, and put 4 GB aof DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 Mhz instead of 2 Gb of Corsair Dominator OC to 1066 Mhz. I made the complaint, but they weren0t able to do the change before shipping and now I have to wait for my system, check it, and send it back if I want to replace the memory. Will I experience any important performance hit by this change (Its more memory but runs at a lower speed)??Also, I'm buying the monitor separetely. Should I go widescreen or not. Don't know if flight sim will look good on WS. What recommendations you have regarding this.Thnak you all guys for your recommendations. I'll be reporting once I get my hands on the system!!Regards,Henrique

Guest exmixer

HenriqueNice rig, I think you'll enjoy it. As to what to expect, with FSX, good stuff I'd guess, but if you have FS9 install that too. That will make your day, period.As to monitors...I have a pair of Dell 2407WFP's. Great for FS9. If I can figger how to attach a .jpg you can take a peek. Enjoy the new stuff, nothing better than getting brand new stuff, ready to rock!Edit: Dang, attached the wrong file, my bad. The one I *meant* to attach is up now, I think .jb[a href=http://exmixer.com/]Windows utility links/FS 2004[/a]Falcon Northwest Mach VC2D X6800EVGA680i4GB Corsair 8500 C5BFG 8800GTXXP Pro SP2

i went and forked out 5000 euro for an xps 720,twin video cards overclocked quad processor,4 gig ram ,watercooled ,basically the bees knees,oh ye and a 24 inch monitor...great machine.....for fs9 doom fear etc...but for fsx with its updated patch a complete disaster,still as steppy as ever,to the point of irritation...tried a lot of tweeks,but unless you bring fsx down to cartoon level it aint going to work...but having said that my fs9 with a heap of great add ons looks to me anyway a thousand times better and smoother than fsx...if anyone can give me some further tips that may bring fsx to a decent level of playability i am sure ready to listen,because i still long for the day i can fly my add ons in fsx..........

Guest exmixer

collie,>>but for fsx with its updated patch a complete disaster,still as steppy as ever,to the point of irritation...<>...my fs9 with a heap of great add ons looks to me anyway a thousand times better and smoother than fsx..<. For the screenshots on the page click to enlarge to full size...they're *big* .jpg's, you'll need a fast connection. http://www.exmixer.com/fs.shtml#FSX_EWR_Dusk_1Regards,jb[a href=http://exmixer.com/]Windows utility links/FS 2004[/a]Falcon Northwest Mach VIntel C2D Extreme X6800 @ 2.93 GHz4 GB Corsair Twin2Xx2048-8500C5 EPPBFG 8800GTX 768MB1 x Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB SATA II2 x Seagate ST3160811AS 160GB SATA II1 x Seagate ST3300620AS 300GB SATA IIIZalman CNPS7000BLED-ALCU coolerSilverstone 850W 'ZEUS' PS2 x Dell 2407WFPSB X-fi XtremeGamerSony DVD-ROMPlextor external PX-755UF DVD burnerXP Pro SP2

Guest TomOOO

You asked the following....Also, the guys from dell made a mistake, and put 4 GB aof DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 Mhz instead of 2 Gb of Corsair Dominator OC to 1066 Mhz. I made the complaint, but they weren0t able to do the change before shipping and now I have to wait for my system, check it, and send it back if I want to replace the memory. Will I experience any important performance hit by this change (Its more memory but runs at a lower speed)??Ie is 2G of 1066MHz faster than 4G of 800Mhz for FSX.My 2p worth...Very likely. FSX cannot use more than 2Gbyte for the application unless you use the /3G boot.ini switch or use 64bit vista. In generalyou will have no impact on performance (stutter due to paging) withthe change from 2 to 4 Gbyte memory. The faster memory will make a difference, there is lots of FSBactivity, and the memory is constantly in use. Up to you if youcan get the change out of Dell. Tom

Guest TomOOO

Just realized I made a mistake in my last post, you note you areinstalling Vista, and 2G is OK for FSX on XP, but it is notenough for Vista and FSX on such a powerful machine.For now you probably want to keep the 4G on the basis of performanceof FSX on Vista, or ask Dell for 3G or moreof the faster memory if Dell made the mistake as this will make adifference.