Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

ATC goes on my nerves...

I know that the ATC feature of FS2002 is great, and I still wonder how we could fly in FS2000 without it.Nevertheless, it sometimes makes strange decisions that are very annoying. Last time, I was flying to Zurich, arriving southbound. There are a 16-34 runway, so the RWY 16 was the most direct. ATC directed me to make a kind of big U-turn because RWY 34 was in use. OK, I have no problem with this.On short final, I was asked to contact Zurich tower, which I did, and the tower asked me to enter the RWY 16 pattern !!! My altitude was so low that I finally landed on RWY 34, and I had to move away quickly because another aircraft was taking off on RWY 16.I hope that Microsoft people read this forum, because I am sure they can improve their ATC feature to avoid this kind of strange things.Did I miss something?Is there a way to avoid this?Eric

How about this-I contacted approach at a class c airport and was told they didn't know which runway they were using-to just continue inbound. After contacting the tower they changed the runway on me three times after getting setup for each one.Only difference is this was real life ! (The problem was there was a band of fog that kept moving around the airport and they were trying to keep all the approaches visual).So real atc can also have bugs!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.jpg

Interesting...It reminds me that I had almost the same in FS2002. ATC pointed me to a runway, then the tower gave me the opposite runway, and when I was supposed to have the landing clearance, the tower redirected me to the opposite runway again.Should we say that FS2002 is "as real as it gets"? Maybe...If someone else has similar interesting stories (in real life or in simulated flights), I'd be glad to know them.Eric

Thanks for the link !!Radar contact looks very interesting, maybe too expensive...Anyway, I'd like to know more about this product, I have 2 little questions about it:1) I understood that it manages Air Traffic Control just like standard FS2002 ATC does, with much more features. But does it also manages all the other aircrafts generated by FS2002 traffic?2) Unfortunately, RC3 does not use the transparent ATC window. It uses the AdvDisplay feature instead.Does the AdvDisplay window can be easily shown/hidden?Does it work like the FS2002 ATC window, with a single keypress to open/close it?Is it easily resizable?Thanks for the info !!Eric

I think these problems are a result of people using weather addons and other hacks.My guess is that when you got instructions for RWY 34, winds were a certain way. As you continued flying, some addon program probably changed winds, but ATC didn't update until you switched frequency, and then tower told you to land on the other runway.The same can sometimes happen on the ground, where winds suddenly change, resulting in two planes getting clearance for takeoff at oposite ends of the runway at the same time.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I think you're right. I always fly with FS Meteo, which updates the weather in real time. I just wish the ATC could be updated in real time. Maybe in the future FS2004...Eric

Guest Stamatis

"I always fly with FS Meteo, which updates the weather in real time."If you are using FSMeteo, open the "Preferences" menu and where it says "Lock to Destination weather" or something similar, set a distance like 80 miles or even more, depending on the type/cruise altitude of aircraft you happen to be flying.Then, FSMeteo, at that set distance from your destination airport, will switch and lock your weather to the actual weather prevailing at your destination airport.Important thing is to lock into destination weather before you receive the first radar vector away from your planned route. Reason is that radar vectors will ignore any subsequent weather updates and guide you to the runway valid at the time of the first vector. It is only Tower that will switch you to the actual runway and this is too late...If you have locked into destination weather in time, then the only chance of having a last minute change in runways is if the actual weather has changed at your destination, warranting such a runway change, which is what you would face in reality too.Stamatis

Thanks for the info !!!!!I have read this in the manual a long time ago, and I had completely forgotten this feature. It will definitely solve my problem.Eric

I ran into the same problem with FSmeteo trying to land at KATL. Turns out after about the 4th rwy change that the winds where directly perpendicular to the rwys. I.e.. Rwy 9/27 winds 180 at 5.Go figure. I would like more info on Radar Contact also.Mitch

I looked into RC too, great features but it's just too much. I only paid $49cdn for FS2002, less a $25 rebate so it's just not justifiable. I tried the ver 2 demo in my FS2000 and it really is good stuff. Too bad it's so expensive. I have gotten Pro Flight 2000 working but it has some issues in FS2002 (worst is that on my pc it disables the APP mode on the PSS autopilot).

>>Radar contact looks very interesting, maybe too expensive...The best money you will spend on an add-on this year! All for the price of a good meal!>>1) I understood that it manages Air Traffic Control just like standard FS2002 ATC does, with much more features. But does it also manages all the other aircrafts generated by FS2002 traffic?No it does not manage AI traffic.>>2) Unfortunately, RC3 does not use the transparent ATC window. It uses the AdvDisplay feature instead.>>Is it easily resizable?Yes.>>Does it work like the FS2002 ATC window, with a single keypress to open/close it?No, It is perminantly displayed.If you would like to know more then drop into the RC forum here at AVSIM or check out the RC web site:http://www.jdtllc.com/

Hi Jaaky,Radar Contact is great but doesn't solve the problem entirely. It won't change your runway assignment on you, but if you have ai traffic (and who doesn't?), fs atc may change the active runway for the ai aircraft while you're making your approach. If the winds are variable this is likely to happen. In that case you have to ask RC to change your runway so you're landing in the same direction as the ai planes. But as others have pointed out, this is the way it really is...wind changes, runway changes. Tough luck. :)Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDCHorizon Flights--flight plans and scenery for FS2002http://sidneyschwartz.homestead.com/index.html

>2) Unfortunately, RC3 does not use the transparent ATC >window. It uses the AdvDisplay feature instead. >Does the AdvDisplay window can be easily shown/hidden? >Does it work like the FS2002 ATC window, with a single >keypress to open/close it? You can attach AdvDisplay to its own little panel window, which you can then hide or unhide like any other panel window. I've done this with my panels and it works well.Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDCHorizon Flights--flight plans and scenery for FS2002http://sidneyschwartz.homestead.com/index.html

Guest RobA

Isn't ProFlight 2000 an adventure based program? In this case you would never have a problem with AI planes as they are shut off by adventures. Yes, RC is not cheap but in comparison to my weekly round of golf, it's a huge bargain. lolRob