Sign in to follow this  
zmanisfireproof

I know how to fix Nvidia GFX card issues w/ FS9...

I found this tip while looking on the Nvidia forums. Very helpful indeed and seems to have solved my graphics dilemma with FS9. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=38921"I think... a friend had the exact same issue of not being able to get AA in FS9 and FSX with his new 8800 card:I believe the reason is due to the driver profiles for FS9 and FSX that already exist in nvapps.xml when you install the driver. Since the newer driver versions, they've been setting an "AA:EnhanceOnly" flag for both sims. This was causing the exact issue many of you describe here where you can't get any AA.I successfully fixed this on my friend's machine by doing the following:1. Download a copy of nHancer from www.nhancer.com and install it2. Run it and on the main window, find the two FS profiles and remove them. You'll notice both have a greyed out "Enhance in-game AA setting" checked on the Enhancements tab.3. Create new FS9 and FSX profiles, being sure to point them to the FS9.EXE and the FSX.EXE respectively in the lower portion below the list of profiles.4. Now set your stuff on the right side of the screen in the tabs: I use the following settings on my 7800GTX:Enhancements Tab:AA:Combined 8XSGamma correctionAF: 16XOptimizations Tab:Texture Filtering - High QualityTrilinear Opt - OffAniso. sample opt. - OffNegative LOD BIAS - Clamp (really important for eliminating blurries and shimmering)Within FS - set the AA box to unchecked and the filtering to Trilinear in FS9 and Anisotropic in FSX. This *should* make AA work for you guys..."

Thanks for the heads up Stephen, going to give it a try later this evening.

Thank you sir, this was indeed the exact problem.I use RivaTuner in lieu of nhancer, but nevertheless - deleting the FS2004 profile in the Nvidia drivers and then recreating one of my own (with AA enabled) did the trick.

Guest Scooter99

Dear sir I have NVIDA GeForce 7300 LE graphic card and it is problem for my FS9. Graphics wasnt right on the planes (zebra colors) even with latest driver from Dell. I tried download drivers from NVIDA site and it caused FS9 to crash with ntdll.dll error. I now download beta driver from NVIDA site and graphics seem normal til I come across your article and download Nehancer. I know that my graphic card is different than yours. I am wondering what is best recommentation for my graphic card to work with FS9 without causing it to crash with ntdll.dll error. Feel free to ask me questions and I hope to hear from you. You can reply to my email address Scooter99@mindspring.comScott

Been using nhancer in Vista as well--no problems at all. Same settings for FSX and FS9 as in original post. Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

With Nvidia cards (8800 series, in my case), FS9 would not render AA at all. Nhancer fixes this by eliminating Nvidia's profile for FS9 which did not include an option to allow AA, and allowing you to create a new profile that will.

Any chance you could post screen shots showing before and after?My Dad is using one of the 8800 cards but I don't remember seeing any strangeness.

If you're not seeing lines that are jaggie, or broken up, especially with the aircraft or runway markings, the issue is probably not affecting your dad. It's symptomatic of later driver releases -- if hes using an older driver set it may not be a problem for him -- and new drivers are not necessarily the best.Personally, after a month of jerking around with this bloody card, I just got it to where I want it and I'm too paranoid right now to undo my settings in nHancer, uninstall the new drivers, reboot, reinstall the old drivers, reboot, take appropriate screenies, upload them, and then uninstall the old drivers again, reboot, and the reinstall the new ones once more, reboot, then reset nHancer, and reboot again.Maybe somebody with more experience will be able to find an easier way to do this for you, but I don't know how -- sorry! ;(Smooth skies!Chuck B.

Like Trelane, I am unwilling to uninstall Nhancer just to get screenshots. However, I do happen to have a screenshot of FS9 I took when I first began this hobby and did not realize what AA was or even how to apply it! So, here is a shot of what the game looks like WITHOUT proper Anti-Aliasing settings:Before - notice the jaggy edges, especially noticeable on the top line of the airplane body, and in the taxiway sign: http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176309.jpgAnd here is a more recent shot with my 8800 card and Nhancer settings applied - notice how much smoother the lines are - straight as an arrow!:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176310.jpgHope these help to show what FS9 looks like with or without AA properly applied.

Appreciate you sharing this. Works a charm with my Nvidia 7600 GS on my steam driven 2.8 ghz computer.Gary

Guest macman4

This works great as far as the jagged views, but I can't use it because my frames drop from 30 to 10 fps. Can hardly fly. Of coarse I'm only using a Geforce 6500.