Sign in to follow this  

Hi,I can get 4gb of this- Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN BL2KIT12864AA1065 -for less than i could get another 2gb of the corsair dominator i have now,i am wondering if this is good ram.thanks,Tony.

Hi Tony, FWIW, I just bought 4 gigs of the PC-6400 Ballistix Tracers for $75.00 total (rebates approved but pending......) and haven't had any issues. Is there a reason you need the 1066? If not, go for the 800 MHZ if it's a lower cost. JMHO Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Hello Kendall,The 1066 ram was just what i noticed was on sale,but i think i will look for lower priced ram.I have learned that expensive doesnt equal super performance,at least for me.Thanks for the help,Tony.

Guest D17S

Unless you are overclocking to beyond 400mhz (DD2-800) it doesn't matter. For instance, DDR2-800 will run with up to a 400mhz FSB. However, if you are rockin' out to a FSB of 500mhz (DDR2-1000) then you gotta have that DDR2-1066 ram. Otherwise your computer will explode (just kidding).In any case, corsair is simply an overpriced band name (imHo). It's just solid stuff that will run at its rated speed. Ho Hum. Crucial is better stuff. They uses micron chips and will overclock like a banchee. Patroit and GSkill are good choices too. But once again. If you don't need to run the ram above its rated speed, it doesn't matter. Get the cheapest stuff available that is rated to run at least 2X (Double the Data Rate or DDR) of your FSB speed. All ram will run at its advertised speed without an issue . . . or an RMA is in order.

If I may ask question along these lines..... Putting a new system together based on the Asus P5K-E and C2D E6850.Baring in mind, i'll probably overclock, which would be better for FSX, 2Gb of high quality RAM, or 4Gb of std RAM?

>If I may ask question along these lines..... Putting a new>system together based on the Asus P5K-E and C2D E6850.>>Baring in mind, i'll probably overclock, which would be better>for FSX, 2Gb of high quality RAM, or 4Gb of std RAM?BEARING in mind...I think you meant :)In my opin, depends what operating system you are going to run. If it's XP, then I would get 2 gb of high quality stuff and o/c it to the gills.On the other hand if I were going Vista route I would probably go to 4 gb. Vista 32 or Vista 64 either one. And if I was PLANNING on going to Vista with this build, I would go 4 gb.But really this is not a question you should be asking. If you're talking DDR2, the price difference between "regular" ram and the good stuff is not that great in light of the fact that you are ALREADY spending a significant sum on ram to begin with.So you might as well spend a little more and get the higher-line memory, if your goal is the ultimate FS system. That's my philosophy on h/w in general if I am building for max performance.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest D17S

The only difference between "high quality" and "std" ram at a specific speed rating (DDR2-800, DDR2-667, DDR2-ETC) is its ability to overclock. Ram timings are irrelevant to any real world application. You will need scientific equipment, or statistically averaged FRAPS benchmarks to see any performance difference in FS. Low timings numbers are just a clue that the ram Might be more overclockable. By our definitions here, Corsair is standard grade. That means it will not run faster than its rated speed (overclock) by much. Crucial, GSkill or Patriot are "high quality" meaning they will run faster than their rated speed (by some). How much, you ask? Get your numbers together. Speed costs. How fast do you want to go? In any, any, any case, get 4 gigs.

Guest D17S

Don't know about Kingston, but this is the kind of info that could be of interest: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/21/ove...kits/index.htmlRemember: 1) All ram will run at it rated speed. 2) Timings are irrelevant. This is entirely about trying to pay lowest amount to get the speed you need. More specifically said "You will need ram that will run at 2X whatever FSB speed you are aiming for." For instance, if you are aiming for FSB of 425mhz, you will need ram that will run at 850mhz. Will DDR2-800 go faster than its 800mhz guaranteed speed rating? It's very likely (see Tom's article), but you have choose wisely.

Guest Pilot533

Crucial Ballistix is pretty much the best there is right now.