Sign in to follow this  

CH yoke lubricants revisited

Guest sunbear

Maybe that's what I need to make the CH yoke more stringent. The springs must be made of micro-dust as the tensions are so unrealistic that maybe I'll spray a little more WD 40 Super plus with GTX additive to make it 10 percent realistic......Just kidding but maybe some truth to it also.jack

Hi,I use a silicon grease by AE Team Associated that I found at a hobby store. It is used for lubricating the plastic gears in RC cars.In my case, I had to disassemble the yoke and sand the shaft, using first a medium grade paper then finer paper and finally a plastic polish. While I had it apart, I replaced the springs with a slightly lighter set I found at a hardware store. This makes it easier to get full elevator travel, but also reduced the aileron tension, and may not be acceptable to everyone.Re disassembling the yoke: there are 4 screws that hold the case together. Remove the screws while holding the case halves together. Carefully remove the top half while holding the yoke in upright position. It's not a complex assembly, but there is a pin that fits into a groove in the center bushing that must be in position for the elevator to work. If the yoke is still under warranty, I would ship it back to CH and let them adjust it.I've attached a photo of the innards of the yoke.Dale

Dale

Guest jahman

>I use a Dupont non petroleum lubricant spray containing>Teflon.>>Works amazingly well........>>GlennProduct name?Cheers,Andrew.

Folks...do not use any petroleum products on plastics. The CH products are made with ABS (Acrilonitrile Butediene Styrene) co polymer and these plastics can soften and stress crack when exposed to some petroleum products. CH suggests silicone spray or powder and that is the only thing you should use.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest jahman

Glenn,Many thanks for the link!I see the examples provided seem to point to metal uses, with no plastic or rubber applications mentioned outright.Mindful of CH Products warning against petroleum-based lubricants degrading plastic, I took a look at the related "DuPont Pure Silicone with KRYTOX PTFE" product (Teflon is the DuPont trademark for PTFE according to Wikipedia) also at the Web you kindly provided and this time plastic applications are mentioned specifically.See: http://www.performancelubricant.dupont.com...s_silicone.htmlCurrently I

Andrew,Yeah, seems kind of strange I know, but on my can (which is about 2 years old now) it states NON Petroleum.I had never seen the silicone lubricant before so maybe they have changed the product line somewhat?I will get the silicone version myself next time!Glenn

Andrew,By the way, Amazon.com sells both of these lubricants in the automotive section.Regards,Glenn

Guest jahman

No, as many other posters have stated, vaseline is a petroleum-based lubricant and will degrate the plastic!Cheers,Andrew.

Guest jahman

Many thanks for the tip, Glenn!Cheers,Andrew.

Guest Buck Bolduc

I sprayed my yoke with "Prestone Silicone Spray" about two years ago.It hasn't stuck since, nor is there any noticeable drag. Smooth as silk so far!