Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

Monitoring VATSIM

I'm thinking about upgrading to a cable modem and getting into the voice atc stuff. Is there a way to just "listen in" to controllers/pilots first to get a sense of what it's like before making the big jump?thanks!

Hi,Go here and download servinfo.http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/Install it and get it set up.Click on the FIR/ARTCC tab and the controller you want to listen to.Click join.You may now listen in to radio transmissions but a note of warning, you will be able to transmit, so don't think no one will hear you if you start to play around with the xmit button.If you doubt that you are connected because traffic is slow and you don't hear anyone, try a radio check with the controller you are connected to.Ie. "XXX Centre (or tower or dep or whomever you've decided to listen to), N123YY (or whatever your callsign is), request radio check."If you hear them respond, thank them and let them know you are going to "listen and learn". You now know for sure you've got it right.I hope I got it right,CF-AOA

Guest jason2112

I want to thank both of you! I had the same question, but never really dared to ask. I would like to add that you can find the freeware version of Roger Wilco on http://www.resounding.com/. I was not aware that one could listen to the radio transmissions without flying on VATSIM.After my first session of listening to online radio traffic, my initial worry that it would be hard to understand has been confirmed, unfortunately. I guess it will become easier after some time, and maybe one day I will be bold enough to actually try flying online. But I guess I should improve my flying and navigation skills first, until I can fly SIDs and STARs with the proper accuracy.Bye,VOlker :]

you need rogerwilco too, (sorry) just in case you did not know...

On Servinfo, you'll find that the button to join in a channel is greyed out in many cases. The controller can hide the Roger Wilco IP address.Reason being that there has been quite a bit of hassle with people outside VATSIM logging on and just messing around and ruining the voice channel it for the simmers.Another way to go is to join VATSIM (http://www.vatsim.net/), and download the various bits of free s/ware (squawkbox and SBhost), and just join in. You can check out which airports have ATC via Servinfo, and then sit at a stand and observe for a while. If you put in the flight plan that you're just observing, then the controllers are usually happy - maybe give them a radio check call! Just don't go slewing around the place on-line, or log on when you're at the end of the runway!!!!!It's quite a steep learing curve, but there is nothing quite like it (apart form the real thing!) to get the adrenaline flowing....Andy

IMHO Andy's advice is the best.Also check out the SquawkBox tutorials that should be available at www.vatsim.net and check out other pilot tutorials which give a text description of what ATC radio is all about.I was going to direct you to excellent tutorials at my local site http://www.vatsim-uk.net/vatsim-uk/index.asp but I notice they have revamped the site yet again and the ATC, ground school, etc tutorials have been removed :-grr Looks like they have gone ATC only again.If I find any other ATC tutorials I will post links, but hopefully others will jump in with links before I can.Rgds

Just some tips to help (it's well worth persisting :))1. At the beginning DO NOT join a fly in. They are very busy and you won't get any help.2. Start your flight where there is acontroller and not much traffic.3. In the comments box on SB make a note you are a learner.4. Advise the controller(s) you are learning - and they should go easy on you.5. If in doubt about anything ask - they are more than happy to help if it is quiet - hence the remark about not joining a busy session.6. Don't panic. If instructions are coming to fast or you are having problems advise the controller.7. Some regions have training night (e.g. In New Zealand we have these on Tuesday's) It's a good idea to join these if you can - From the vatsim.net web site go to the regional links and do a search.RegardsRussell Jourdain (NZL007/ZK-RHJ)

Hi Andy,You're way of listening will work fine, but I do believe that VATSIM has a policy of booting users after 30 minutes of inactivity. This is in order to keep the network from becoming congested with "spotters" and thereby keep it running smoothly.And for those that feel apprehension in taking the plunge online, fear not. Let the controller know that you are a first timer and they'll be more than happy to help. What you will learn in your first flight will only make you hungry for more.Another suggestion is that before you actually log on, thoroughly prepare your flight and make sure you have the charts available to you. If you check out the "Resources and Links" section of the VATSIM site, you should be able to find a link to the FIR (flight information region) for the area you want to fly in. The FIR website will usually have all the navigation information you require including preffered routes and SIDS and STARS.Hope this helps,CF-AOA

Guest flightpro08

If you're just looking to listen to VATSIM's ATC channels, you can also get a list of every channel currently in use at VATSIM's All Servers Page.http://benaway.mystarband.net/vatsim/vatservers.htmRyan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.01 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

For general advices try the VATSIM site under "Getting started"For manuals there is also:http://vatsim-eur.org/training/The manuals are ATC oriented but the basic, communication and metar I found it very helpfull for all the pilots.There is also a VATSIM forum here at AVSIM and newsgroups at: mail.simflight.comYou must be aware that each region as it's own way of doing things. I find flying in Russia a great experience, try to follow altitude in meters, speed in Km/Hour and you soon realise how hard it is.Jos