Sign in to follow this  
Donstim

You might want to update your M.B. to your board's curr

Don, by the way---they set the core voltage to 1.55 as default. The actual 1.4 Celery has 1.5 stamped upon it. I wonder if keeping it at 1.55 would truly make a difference? I don't plan on overclocking it, so perhaps I might pin it down to the rated 1.5. The question is...even though you have your BIOS feeding the ZIF socket 1.5, notwithstanding---if the GUNNING Logic overrides the Soft Menu BIOS setting anyway...I wonder what voltage setting YOUR PowerLeap was set up as by default. It would be on your Quick Page Setup.I would be interested to know. Also, my PL370/T is a version II. What is yours?What really bums me out, is that it is a two second operation. I could have already been motoring along at almost three times my 500's capacity. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!Cheers!Mitch

Mitch,Yes, the jumpers are set to a default core voltage of 1.55v, and 100 MHz FSB. I changed the jumpers to 1.50v/100 MHz FSB to match the Celeron specs. I also set the BIOS to deliver 1.50v, though I'm not sure if that matters since the PowerLeap adaptor should effectively "override" the BIOS voltage sent to it (as you noted.The Quick Start Guide says Rev 2.0, but I'm not sure whether that corresponds to the adaptor or the quick start guide.Don S.

LOL, what luck. Actually, I think they're being overly conservative, but what they hey...if you're going to guarantee it, ya gotta make it fairly bulletproof. Note that their own quick start guide does not even instruct you to use the thermal grease. The only reference to it is in the troubleshooting tips where it says use of "thermal compound" is required IF overheating is suspected.I'll let you in on my secret. I am not using the thermal grease. And I haven't had any stability problems. Now, I'm not recommending that you not avail yourself of the magic stuff, but I think you can get away without it for a few days if you don't mind taking everything apart again to apply it. I fully intend to do so myself before summer, and summer temperatures, hit here.You had a good story, here's mine. I special ordered my adaptor separately from the CPU. Since we were going away for Christmas, I made sure to order both with enough lead time so that I could get them up and running before we left. Well, the boxes arrived with almost a week's lead time. I opened the PowerLeap box and all looked good. I opened the other box, and lo and behold, a 1.3 GHz Celeron, not a 1.4! I double-checked the order confirmation, and sure enough, somehow I had mis-clicked and ordered the 1.3 rather than the 1.4!Fortunately, I had not even so much as disturbed the shrink wrap on the box, so they agreed to exchange it for only the price difference, but I also ended up paying for shipping three times - once for the 1.3, another time to send it back, and again to get the 1.4 shipped. Needless to say, I also had to wait until our return after Christmas to install them.Then, as I went about the installation, I realized that I did not have the thermal grease. I went ahead and installed it anyway, then went down to a local retailer and bought some grease. Since the Celery comes with its own thermal pad, and overclockers have shown the chip to have a decent amount of headroom (and Intel chips are pretty well protected from being damaged by overheating, unlike some AMD chips), I figured there really wasn't risking too much. To use the grease properly, you're supposed to very thoroughly clean the heat sink and core surfaces, including removing the existing thermal pad.The installation didn't go without a hitch, though. I was also installing a new video card at the same time, against my better judgement to do one at a time. I finally traced the instability to an older Voodoo2 video card that had either finally given up the ghost, or that my power supply just didn't have enough juice to power any more. I almost bought a new power supply, but finally decided that the system is working great without the Voodoo2 card, I was only using it for one game (Falcon 4) that I hardly play anymore anyway, so I have it sitting on my desk right now.Don S.

Geez...join the club....it ain't exclusive it appears, LOLOLOLOL!!!!Don...uh..er...looking at my 1.4, there doesn't appear to be a thermal pad on the beast. I have the clean metal exposed top of the core........also...I wonder truly, how much of a difference you would have seen in sim-mode by staying with the 1.3 and not getting the 1.4 at extra cost and hassle? The difference is only a hundred MHz, right? I wonder what that would garner as far as FPS/sim stat is concerned?I haven't even got my Green Machine installed and already I'm snoopin' around the used ads for a Pentium III Tut-cored 1.4Heck...why not? Keep one on hold for that rainy day.Oh...yesterday I bought SDR PC-133 CAS 2 7.5 second 256 meg times two, so to have 512 megs of system ram. I have right now 256 of 'black market who-knows-what' that actually hasn't ever given me trouble. I could use one of those sticks in the third slot, but after reading all the FAQ's of the Crucial site, found out that the system will revert to the SLOWEST CAS 3 over 2 if a stick of that is found! The 128 stick is CAS 3. So...I'll stick with 512 and if I can find a cheap (used) Pentium III 1.4, I am now armed with PC-133 that can do the job. :)I'll wait for the grease. The two sticks of memory should be here today or tomorrow...:)Life is good...and there is no need to revamp the entire system for FS2002!!!! I just spent er...let's see, $159.95 for the PowerLeap and CPU, and $82.00 for 512 of PC-133. I'd say I just scored KILLER to upgrade for so few...well...relative bucks---when compared to the other people getting P4's that still give out only FPS in the high 20's....sheesh!I can wait until the P4 is sliding down the curve... Evil pleasure, eh? BM6 and the great performing BX440 chip set.Don...HIGH FIVE, BUD....lol.Cheers!Mitch

>Don...uh..er...looking at my 1.4, there doesn't appear to be >a thermal pad on the beast. I have the clean metal exposed >top of the core.... You got yours from PowerLeap, right? Maybe that's how they send 'em, so you can put the magic grease right on. (Acutally, in talking to them, I thought they did that, too.) Since I got mine retail, it had what a small pad on it.>....also...I wonder truly, how much of a difference you >would have seen in sim-mode by staying with the 1.3 and not >getting the 1.4 at extra cost and hassle? The difference is >only a hundred MHz, right? I wonder what that would garner >as far as FPS/sim stat is concerned? Yeah, and I though about it. But desire and perceived "need" won out over any logic. Mainly, I just felt stupid and didn't see how I could have made the mistake. The difference in cost between the 1.3 and 1.4 was only $5, so I can't see why anyone would even order the 1.3. As penance, I got to pay the extra shipping costs.>>Life is good...and there is no need to revamp the entire >system for FS2002!!!! I just spent er...let's see, >$159.95 for the PowerLeap and CPU, and $82.00 for 512 of >PC-133. I'd say I just scored KILLER to upgrade for so >few...well...relative bucks---when compared to the other >people getting P4's that still give out only FPS in the high >20's....sheesh! >Ain't that great?>I can wait until the P4 is sliding down the curve... Evil >pleasure, eh? BM6 and the great performing BX440 chip set. >Yessiree>Don...HIGH FIVE, BUD....lol. >And to you, too!Don