Sign in to follow this  
N4865G

FSX VC extended to another monitor

Hallo everybody,Got my FSX running relatively smooth by now.I attempted to fire up another monitor i have plugged to my PCI-E Asus A800XL card.Windowed mode minimized I tried to pull edges of the FS screen window to another monitor to have it spread over the two of them.Unfortunately, the second monitor part is all black (nothing visible on it) and frame rate drops dramatically to 5-6fps with long stutter.Is that a limitation of FSX or am i doing something wrong here?Thanks for your help,Dom

Is there a way to adjust the monitors using your video config program or display properties on the desktop?

I use ATI tray tools to tweak all my video card and display settings.Could not find anything relevant to this very problem,Dom

Dom- Sounds a bit like the second mon is not active- (you say "all black"?). Does it show as a schematic outline-pic in Control Panel/ Display/ Settings ? If so is resolution specified? And is the box for Extend My Desktop Across this Mon ticked? (WIN XP) You need to be able to drag the mouse cursor from extreme left to far right of the two mons as if it is all one desktop. I'm not familiar with FSX- can only speak for FS9, but there you would have to create a new view, undock it, then drag/resize it to mon #2 & set it to either View Forward Left (or Right) to complement main view. In FS9 if any view OR sub panel overlaps an adjacent monitor- even VERY slightly, you get a big FPS hit. And be sure to reclick the mouse on main view after clicking anything on a secondary mon.Alex Reid CYYJ

I failed to also suggest that you look at a posting in this forum just below here -"Newbie advice on Multi Monitor Setup". See the comments by "Reset MCP Alt" concerning Virtual Cockpit over 2 monitors.Apologies for the omission.Alex Reid

FSX just does not run well on 2 monitors from 1 PC. Framerate just drops off.But, one neat feature of the Acceleration add on is sharing a single aircraft on 2 PCs. Instead of 1 PC with 2 monitors, you can have 2 PC's each with a monitor for a single plane, control of the plane can be done on either PC.I put the VC view on my main monitor, and on the 2nd PC's monitor I can add any other view or instruments as needed and run both at full frame rate.

Thanks for all the replies.Second monitor is working - I have it displaying extended part of the first monitor. Dragging any of the sides of the FS window beyond the first display results in dramatic frame rate drop. Also, the part of the window on the second monitor is blacked out.Guess this is something only possible with Matrox 3-display unit.ThanksDom

RE your phrase- "FSX just does not run well on 2 monitors from 1 PC. Framerate just drops off." Is there no way around this? If not, it rules out FSX for me and I imagine, quite a number of multi mon simmers.Once you've flown FS9 with a 180

Lets be clear. Neither Fs9 nor FsX can stretch one view over two monitors. You have to put one "new" view on each monitor. resize the view so that the edges do not fall off the edge of the monitor.I don't run X but I am pretty sure there is no drastic FPS drop when putting ONE view on each monitor. Maybe something is getting missed in the translation here.One "new" view placed on each monitor with the sides not dropping of the edge of the monitor is the correct way.DO NOT stretch the SAME view across two monitors. or three for that matter. You need THTgo for that stuff.Also, dont confuse the term "extend my desktop to this monitor" as being able to extend a view to this monitor. You EXTEND your desktop in the graphic card configuration. You drag another view to another monitor, You dont EXTEND it.The left monitor in the pic below started as "New view #1" I undocked it. dragged it to the left monitor and then resized it to fit. It displays the forward/left view.I did the same with the right view. That mon displays the right forward view.Then I undocked the "panel" and dragged it to the bottom monitor. Resized it as well. There you have it. http://eecherrors.homestead.com/monitor3.jpg

Interesting.Kimchoc, don't you suffer any performance degradation running another 3D view on another monitor via the same video card?Gotta try that bit later then,Best regardsDom

"But, one neat feature of the Acceleration add on is sharing a single aircraft on 2 PCs. Instead of 1 PC with 2 monitors, you can have 2 PC's each with a monitor for a single plane, control of the plane can be done on either PC.I put the VC view on my main monitor, and on the 2nd PC's monitor I can add any other view or instruments as needed and run both at full frame rate."----------------------------------------------------------------------could you perhaps guide me to a site that could explain how to do this? Do you need 2 copies of FSX? I have 2 computers, they are on a network, but only one copy of FSX. What would I need to do? thanks for the time and help.Danon - -

>Lets be clear. Neither Fs9 nor FsX can stretch one view over>two monitors. You have to put one "new" view on each monitor.>resize the view so that the edges do not fall off the edge of>the monitor.>One "new" view placed on each monitor with the sides not>dropping of the edge of the monitor is the correct way.Oh well, tried that and I'm afraid it did not work.Well, it did, as I moved a new window with a new view over to the other monitor, but by the time I did that my fps went from steady 20fps to 2fps with long pauses when trying to move the cursor.I recall from long time ago, FS9 early times, when there was a statement, that you cannot transfer a new 3D view over to the other monitor for heavy performance penalty.It was OK to move 2D panels, as it did not deteriorate the performance, just not the 3d outside view.Looks like this is the same case here.CheersDom

Dom- I just tried switching my triple views from "2D-Cockpit" to "Virtual Cockpit" Views. I got no detectable change in FPS for either: a single window, nor for 2, nor all 3 views. Seemed to make no difference except the alignment/synch between views would need considerable adjustment. (My panel of course remained as 2D- not virtual cockpit.) This is with triple video cards- that's likely the difference- one card for each mon.FS9 on AMD XP2200 1.8 GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Dual Head AGP GeForceFX5200 card and same type PCI single card. (golden oldies & very reliable!)Alex Reid CYYJ

The 2D view gives the most FPS. I don't why why you would want to put a 3d view on another monitor? I guess you want to look at the plane your are flying? I just find it not really the intended purpose for multiple monitors. Yes, I know its all about our own personal preferences, but multiple monitors, without the TH2G, are best used for 2d viewing. I don't know what else to say on that. You can use them to display outside views from the cockpit and other gauge panels. Thats really the benefit, not using the 3d view.Set your monitors next to each other and expand your viewing range. OR, use it for display of panels.Earlier question asked if I suffered FPS loss for running monitors on second video output. I suffer only on the second PCI card output. The AGP monitors show no loss. I am using 2d views. If I scroll through the views on my PCI card monitor that is used for out the indow viewing, then there is a FPS loss. But not near what you have. I suggest your system is not setup correctly somewhere in the video driver area. if I change my view from 2d to the outside view, I might drop 7-8 FPS, but certainly not 18FPS. Something amiss with your setup. But all the talk of FPS is of course relative isn't it? It all depends on what sliders are set and AI% and add-ons. I cant run full sliders right. I can't run 100% AI. I can't turn on all graphics. Who can with an AGP and Athlon 3400?So FPS is all in the eye of the beholder. I'm happy, January is happy, but someone else might not be cause they want 100% AI with massive textures.