Sign in to follow this  
mtan002

AMD or P4

Guest ront1

Hi Guys, Just a quick question here. I am looking to upgrade my system and was wondering what you guys use and recommend. I am looking at a AMD system with an XP2100 processor or a P4 system with a P4 1.7G processor. Any comments are appreciated.Thanks, Ron

Guest BAW083

Athlon.Unless you'd be shelling out big money for a 3.06 with hyper-threading i'd go for the Athlon everytime.

Guest ront1

Thanks for the reply Chris, How do these parts sound to you?Asus A7N8X (very close to your board)2700 256DDR ram Antec Performance Plus Caseto go along with my Radeon 9500PRO, and other system parts.Ron

Guest flightpro08

I've always been a fan of both AMD and Intel, but have recently been sticking with Intel systems. My last three computers have been based on an Intel CPU, and I have loved all three of them. My current rig, which specs are in my sig, runs on both an Intel Pentium 4 CPU and Intel 845G chipset, and FS2k2 has run great. If you've got the cash, I highly recommend Intel.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.01 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Hello ron i would go for amd intel is faster but for good price proformance get amd i have in amd system and just upgraded i did have intel a few years go but i really dont want to buy any intels and i hope i never have to, resion why is they have a Monopoly going on like microsoft which really ####### me off i hope i dont offend you guys that have intel its a very great chip and fast i just dont like what intel is doing, if you want the most speed and have the cash get intel if you are on a buget then get amd good luck.p.s i almost forgot if you want one of the best rams get this one http://www.corsairmicro.com/

Pentium 4 all the way.They run cooler, so there is no need to shell out $50US for some fancy heatsink to keep it running cool. Better chipsets on the motherboards, Dual DDR support now, there is no crappy VIA issues, unlike most of the AMD boards (Except NForce 2). The motherboards are cheaper compared to most AMD offerings.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Dear Ron,sound good to me, But I would swap the 256MB RAM for at least a 512MB module. FS is heavy on resources, especially RAM.ReadUTorsten

Plus, if stability is an objective, there is nothing as stable as an Intel CPU on a motherboard using Intel chips.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

the new athlon xps run very cool despite the older thunderbirds running REAAAAAAAAAAALY hot.the xp is quite a improvement. You will always get many different opinons on what is better. I personally think the best thing to do for yourself is to read plenty of reviews on the parts you are interested in. I ususally read my stuff at www.tomshardware.com. If you are going to g AMD I would recommend the following AMD 2400XP and above ( really 2.0ghz) atleast 512MB ram. 400watt powersupply. MSI or ASUS mobo with the via KT400 chipset 8x agp is not really a must but most of the new motherboards will have it . if you already have a soundcard and lan card you will not need a board with all that on it so you proboly get what I have.It's all the same specs as the KT7V ultra but does not have Raid,LAN or built in soundcard.I would try to avoid SIS chipsets.For intel mobo I would proboly go with ABIT or ASUS . These of course are just my opinons but I hope it helps :) If anything I would get no less than a 2.0ghz processor no matter if it's intel or amd.It's bit heavy on the wallet but with most designers go all out on graphics and with chips reaching the 3.0ghz + range I think It would be wiser to get in the 2.0 2.5 range so you will not want to make a hefty upgrade again come Fall time for example :) Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest Dean

>Thanks for the reply Chris, > How do these parts sound to you? >>2700 256DDR ramI would spend the extra few dollars and buy Corsair CAS2 PC2700 ram instead of generic. At 333 memory speed the CAS2 rating will be less of a "bottleneck" in your system then CAS2.5. One stick of 512 is also a better way to go then 2 sticks of 256. For some reason mobos using PC2700 ram don't like multiple sticks. Mushkin will not gurantee their high performance PC2700 ram will run stable at CAS2 if there is more than 1 stick in the system.

Guest christian

I recommend Intel for a very simple reason:While Intel isn't necessarily better than AMD, I found it to be a quieter system :)The Intel comes with its own big fan (so you'll save money on that). For an AMD you'll have to buy one of those tall, high speed fans and they make a hell of a noise. I think I saw newer fans that have grown in size, so they should be quieter, but I can't comment on how good they really are, or how easy you'd get one.Temperaturewise the AMD's can be 10 degrees hotter than the P4, but I haven't found that to be a handcap. Could be problematic though if you live in a hot place (I live in Melbourne and I surely don't want my computer contributing to those heat waves, it's unbearably hot in my flat as it is. And, yes, I can notice it when I have my computer on on those hot days). I would weight it up against price. When I bought my P4 system, there was barely any difference in price between comparable models. AMD systems may be a bit more picky about which parts they want to get a stable system (my AMD is unstable, but that might not be necessarily AMD's fault, I suspect the power supply), but if you go Intel you should pair it with an Intel board to make sure you get a stable system (I went with an SIS board and had to swap it, wouldn't work). Gigabyte makes good mobos for the P4, never had any problem with that brand...Cheers, Christian

Guest SoarPics

Hi Ron,I just built a new AMD based system last week. I'm now running an Athlon XP 2400 on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board with 1 stick of 512 MB Crucial PC2700. The system has been very stable and came up the first time without a hitch.Personally, I would never run a stock heatsink/fan on any CPU. My reasoning is that an aftermarket heatsink/fan is very cheap insurance, and will go a long way toward computer longevity, whether it be AMD or Intel. Cool is the rule when it comes to these boxes of bits.I'm running a Coolermaster Heat Pipe w/ Arctic Silver III under a 80mm fan turning 2700 RPM. The case is Lian-Li, with stock cooling + a hard drive cooler. The computer is very quiet, and CPU temps are 96F at idle, 104F in FS2K2.I chose the A7N8X for a number of reasons. It doesn't have a VIA chipset, overclocks well and easily, and it offers easy upgradability (at least for the next few months :-lol ). The latter is of course important to all of us, and should be a prime consideration in your final decision.Another important component often overlooked is the power supply. I believe that many computer problems can be traced to poor power supplies. Do yourself a favor, and spend the extra few $ for a top quality P/S with at least 350 Watts. More is better (I'm running a 430W Antec here).AMD vs Intel is an arguement of wasted breath. I've run nothing but AMD for the past 4 years, and never had any problems. Intel can't be beat, either. They are both top notch products. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Choose the CPU you like, and place it in a system of quality components. I believe that's the key.Hope this helps,

Hello: Just to add, the A7V8X is a VIA chipset. So make sure you get the A7VN8X if you are avoiding VIA. My A7V8X runs fine with 98SE, but I hear bad things about VIA and XP. Also, the price difference here in th U.S. between an AMD 2100 and 2400 is about 100%. I for one couldn't justify $100 for another 2-3 fps. You are well on your way to a GF4 Ti for that, and maybe better visuals. K

Agreed, the last upgrade I did had me go with Intel as most of the good AMD boards are Via chipset and I wanted to avoid them.

Guest byoung

I am Dumping my AMD XP 2200 for a Pentium 4 2.5 GHZ with Intel Motherboard. The 2200 runs about 1.8 GHZ without overclocking.One of the reasons is the problems that CH Products is having with VIA chipsets. CH Products is the manufacturer of Yokes and Pedals. For some reason, the pedals seem to start to loose responsiveness. And the controls are a core component of flight simming. They really have to work properly. CH Products has identified the problem with selected VIA chipsets (with the combination of Windows XP Drivers). And VIA has about 70%+ of the chipset market. The Intel mobo I purchased has a Intel chipset with is supposed to be superior in terms of compatibility.I would imagine there are some VIA mobo's that work fine, unfortunetly, I don't want take the chance of purchasing one that has the same problems.I'm selling my system to my cousin where it will be used in business. I really like the machine, but wow what a difference in FS 2002 when the controls are working properly. Looking forward to setting the sliders to the max w/ P4 2.5 GHZ and ti 4200 w/128MB..And 768MB system memory.A long time ago, I did have an Intel Mobo and Processor, Pentium II, and it is still going strong. Intel is the crem de la crem of the motherboards. Great support. I was even able to upgrade the Pentium II to a Celeron 466 MHZ with just a BIOS update.Just my thoughts..Barry