Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

SLI Explanation please...

Hello,Now that I have my 8800GT Superclocked and Samsung 245B, I come into a next problem: if I want to play games, they are little slow in 1920x1200. Though I can scale the resolution, and stretch it, it doesn't look as near as good as at 1920x1200.So, would it be of high benefit to get 2nd same card, and run it in the SLI mode, could I then play the games in 1920x1200 with the same speed as for example previously in 1280x1024 on my old CRT...?Help is appreciated!

Guest firehawk44

I run FSX using the 8800GTX cards in sli mode and see very little difference between non-sli and sli modes in regards to FPS. I have a 30" monitor so my resolution is set at 2560x1600. SLI is better though. I highly recommend this blog over at NVIDIA to help answer your question: http://blogs.nvidia.com/sli/2007/11/a-brand-new-sli.html. Best regards,Jim

Actually, I am only using FS9, which is still working good, also with the one card. Rather my question was pointed to running Crysis in 1920x1200, or SimCity or Bioshock...I can play Crysis with High Details on 1280x1024. It's not choppy at all.But when I turn to 1920x1200 with high details, then it gets unplayable.So, question was, would THAT be faster with SLI?

Absolutely, you will get better anything-other-than-FS performance running SLI. FWIW, I run Crisis at medium detail and TH2G 3840x1024 and I love it, single 8800 GTS card 'n all.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest abz

>I run FSX using the 8800GTX cards in sli mode and see very>little difference between non-sli and sli modes in regards to>FPS. I have a 30" monitor so my resolution is set at>2560x1600. SLI is better though. I highly recommend this blog>over at NVIDIA to help answer your question: >http://blogs.nvidia.com/sli/2007/11/a-brand-new-sli.html. >>Best regards,>JimJim I am a little unclear about what you said above. Your first sentence implies that SLI makes no difference in FS. However, are you saying that it does make a difference when using higher a resolution monitor like on a 30" monitor? Thanks, Al

Guest djt01

"Your first sentence implies that SLI makes no difference in FS. However, are you saying that it does make a difference when using higher a resolution monitor like on a 30" monitor?"He means that with FSX being so CPU bound the only way you are going to tax the GPU is by cranking up the resolution and AA and AF filtering.Even a single 8800GTX or 8800 Ultra can run FSX at 2048x1536 without any problems, with FSX the work load is on the CPU.

Guest abz

>"Your first sentence implies that SLI makes no difference in>FS. However, are you saying that it does make a difference>when using higher a resolution monitor like on a 30">monitor?">>He means that with FSX being so CPU bound the only way you are>going to tax the GPU is by cranking up the resolution and AA>and AF filtering.>>Even a single 8800GTX or 8800 Ultra can run FSX at 2048x1536>without any problems, with FSX the work load is on the CPU. >Thanks but I am trying to find out if there is a benefit to using an SLI PC for flight sim using a 30" monitor? Right now I have a 17 inch and 21 monitor and can find no difference in FPS when using SLI vs not using it on either of these monitors. This is FS9. I want to eventualy get a 30" monitor and higher end PC. I had heard that if you are using a 30" monitor, you can notice a definite improvement in FPS using SLI with such a monitor. I am interested if anyone else has experience with such a setup.Al