Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Problem with Antialiasing after switching from ATI -> Nvidia

Hi,Just replaced my old ATI x1900xtx with a Geforce 8800GT card and even though I in the driver settings have set 4X AA I now get rough edges as seen in the pic below - any ideas why this is? Also tried 8X AA but still same result.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181873.jpgJust as a reference, this is how the same AC looked using my old ATI card...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181874.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Guest ziporama

Is this on Vista DX10? If so, yes, in my experience, AA is broken in FSX in DX10, I'm battling that with an 8800ultra on Vista 64. DX9 works fine. And the beta drivers make things worse - avoid.If not, download and install nhancer, disable the default profile for flight sim, disable application control, force 2x or 4x AA in the driver for FSX and see what happens.Say, that looks like a LevelD plane :)Etienne

Nope, this is on Win XP and FS9 and thus DX9.Strange why the AA setting doesn't seem to do any difference...? Not familiar with Nvidia - wonder if this is an Nvidia problem, a driver problem or anything else? Will try the nTune application and see what that could bring with it.Also, do you know what settings work best under the Display section in FS9...for instance does it matter if AA is enabled when you already have that set in the driver settings? Also a bit uncertain if the 'Render To Texture' option should be enabled or not...? And what about the 'Filtering' option...?

Richard Åsberg

Guest ziporama

On DX9, definitely something you can force in a profile. Use nHANCER, not nTUNE :)Forcing AA at the driver level seemed to help quite a bit on a 7900GT card - a while back.For FSX under XP and DX9, I forced AA mode at the driver level, and let the application (FSX) control filtering. I never was able to get AA to work using the aliasing checkbox, but the driver level profile did work for me.The profile will always "win" over what FSX wants, unless you allow the driver to the use "application controlled" mode for each setting.Hope this helps,Etienne

Beeing an Nvidia newbie...exactly what is and where do I find this nHANCER ;) ?And yes...sure is a LevelD a/c in the pics :)

Richard Åsberg

>Beeing an Nvidia newbie...exactly what is and where do I find>this nHANCER ;) ?>>And yes...sure is a LevelD a/c in the pics :)You can find it here: http://www.nhancer.com/Great program, helped me in FS9 running Squawkbox 3 & FSX with my 8800GTX and the newest beta drivers.Enjoy,Ken

I also had antialiasing problems no matter what my card settings when we switched from ATI to Nvidia GeForce. Someone somewhere posted a suggestion to click ON antialiasing in FS. I did and it worked for me. Jaggies and shimmering textures are gone. Try that if you haven't already.Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve, I think I already tried that but I'll give it another try!However I decided to give FSX and Vista a chance now, didn't think I would do it quite yet but now when I got this AA problem in FS9 I figured why not do the move right on...not that I'm looking forward to all tweeking until I get FSX look and run the way I want just thinking of how many hours I've invested in FS9 the last couple of years but in the end I hope I will find it well worth the time... ;)

Richard Åsberg

Guest ziporama

Well if you must try Vista, try Vista 64 and Dx10, quite the improvement for me FPS wise over XP... It does have its quirks, Vista, that is, but SP1 is around the corner.Etienne

Is Vista 64 much better than Vista 32 when it comes to FSX? Also, what else are the pros/cons using Vista 64/Vista 32?

Richard Åsberg

Guest ziporama

Here's why I think Vista 64 is better than Vista 32:1) first, you can use 4Gb of physical memory (you cannot in a 32 bit O/S). This is helpful with FSX because it tends to run out of memory at high detail levels or with complex add-ons (eg, PMDG, LevelD, etc...).2) DX10 seems to work much faster on the 64 bit version than it does on the 32 bit version. I find that puzzling but that's what is being reported. 3) FPS performance on my system is approximately 30% better in DX10 mode than in DX9 mode using FSX Acceleration.Also, check the benchmarks Gary posted on this his excellent thread here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...20&page=3#32194Then, I had to re-install FS9 for a test and I ran into the anti-alias issue under Vista as well. I had to force AA on at the driver level using a custom nHancer profile, and voila, full AA in the simulator.Lastly, a warning about Vista: I seem to have very few problems with it compared to what has been reported elsewhere, so perhaps I'm just lucky, or simply benefited from all the fixes and patches issued by Microsoft since the original release. SP1 is almost here which allegedly fixes addresses these issues (remains to be seen of course). My biggest problem with Vista 64 has to do with its tendency to forget about external hard disks and sometimes, the inability to "kill" a process. I have no issues with FSX or other games. It is a memory and video hog (although the later can be disabled and made to look very close to the "Xp" look and feel). Memory footprint is 2x what XP is, so you need 1Gb just for the O/S to run things well. On a 2Gb machine, that's a problem as FSX uses about 1.4 to 1.8Gb of memory. I use about 3Gb of total physical memory when I run FSX.Hope this helps,Etienne

Wow, thank you Etienne for your very detailed and informative answer! I'm not sure why but for some reason I thought running a 64-bit OS might give you some compatibility problems with certain SW/HW but maybe that is not the case then - will consider it for sure.Again, BIG thanks for your answer!!

Richard Åsberg

Guest tstewart

I just switched from a Ati X1900XTX to a BFG 8800GTS-512 and did uninstall the drivers and used driver cleaner. First problem is I can't install any Forceware drivers other than the one on the BFG disk and I can't get any AA to work. I tried the control panel and Nhancer. I tried on both FS9 and FSX. I tried all combinations in game and through driver options. Would someone please help me with any ideas?Thank-You,Ted:-(

Isn't it strange this AA problem Nvidia users seem to have, never had this problem before when running ATI which makes me wonder if it's a pure Nvidia problem but then it should be a known problem already and hopefully then with some fix around the corner...Anyone who knows?

Richard Åsberg