Sign in to follow this  

Any sense in buying a 5.1 soundset for fs ?

Hi,i currently have a very modest sound setup in my PC, an onboard AC'97 card and two little speakers connected to it. Works well though for use in FS2k2. I'm reading a lot about modern soundcards and 4.1 or 5.1 speakersets for audio purposes but i'm wondering whether FS2k2's sounds will really improve when i have those. If improvements are eminent, what sets/cards should be considered ? (I'm on a budget for this...)Thanx, Cas

I just bought a Hercules Digifire 7.1 sound card and some $100 Logitech 5.1 speakers. The main reason for my upgrade wsa that my old SB Live was crackling bad during games. Just got fed up with the drivers and such. The biggest sound improvement is with the subwoofer which somes with the speakers. It makes the engines roar a bit more. The total cost of my upgrade was about $200 total.5.1 speakers do sound better, but they really don't enhance FS2002 all that much. If you are on a budget, there may be better upgrades you could do or perhaps get some quality add-ons. The whole 5.1 thing is nice, but very few games take advantage of it (including FS2002). I play some other games than FS2002, so that factored into my decision. If you do decide to upgrade, make sure you get a new soundcard too. I would imagine new speakers aren't going to sound much better on an onboard card. There are some lower cost options our there as well, although I wouldn't go too low on the speakers. Find a store that will let you listen to them. If you do look into soundcards, I would recommend http://www.hercules.com/ They are less expensive than the Creative soundblaster cards and IMHO just as good (if not a little better).

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Craig,thanx for the quick reply. If i understand well, than a new speakerset and soundcard won't really enhance my FS-experience. That's good news for my budget ;-)Stupid though it may sound (..) but i merely use my setup for fs2k2, except for some standard office-work and internet.Thanx,Cas

I'm inclined to disagree. I have an Audigy Gamer, but that's because I was having issues with my onboard sound, so I can't attest to the improvements of the soundcard.Speakers however, I will attest to. Unless you've got to keep quiet for babies or neighbors, IMHO a decent set of speakers with a subwoofer makes the experience more intense. If you do need to keep quite, a good set of headphones beats out a cheap pair of speakers hands down.Just my 2.5 cents.

I used to have my sound running through my stereo system with 15" speakers. I moved them into the livingroom when I got a DVD player, and flying FS just wasn't the same without it. I purchased a set of Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers for ~$100 and it made a world of difference having the sub.The last time I was at Best Buy, I played with the speakers. There was a 5.1 set by Logitec that was in the $100 range that sounded better than the $500+ sets.If you're using the onboard codec for sound, you might notice a performance increase by using a dedicated sound card.Take a look at www.hercules.com , they have some decent 5.1 sound cards that you can get for around $30. You don't have to buy 5.1 speakers, a good 2.1 set will be fine for FS. IMO that would be the best way to go.

Thanx for the good advice guys. Thinking about a 2.1 setup now, don't know where to put those extra speakers anyway. Thanx for the tips on Hercules and Logitech too. Will take a look!Cas

I've had an SB Live 1024 in my system for around 2 years now. Granted this sound card isn't the best around, but there aren't many alternatives available in the UK (well not any that I've found!) and I only paid