Sign in to follow this  
Guest BAW083

Onboard Sound on NForce2

Guest GalacticCowboy

Okay, normally I avoid onboard *anything* like the plague. However, I'm in the market to build a new system at some point in the next couple months, and I've been seriously looking at motherboards with the NForce2 chipset (This could be my first AMD system - I've always bought Intel but I'm not particularly jazzed about the P4). One of the options on these boards is 6.1 "theater-quality" sound. I'm currently using an SB Live, which has done okay but isn't anything to write home about. Does anyone out there use an NForce mobo and have experience with the onboard sound? Is it any good, particularly for playing games such as FS?

Guest GalacticCowboy

WOW! I was reading the nForce2 review over at Tom's Hardware, and two quotes in particular caught my eye..."This APU [audio processing unit] comes with features that blow away every sound card that's currently on the market, which is even more impressive when you consider that the APU is integrated into nForce's south bridge 'MCP' and not a discrete card.""nForce's APU is not only much more powerful than anything Creative ever designed, it's also integrated into a chipset and comes virtually free. There won't be any nForce-board owner buying a Soundblaster Live."So never mind, I think I'm about conviced. :)

Guest BAW083

The Dolby 6 channel thing on my A7N8X Deluxe was quite good. I couldn't configure my Creative Labs 5.1 5300 surround sound speakers to work with them though so i bought an Audigy 2.The original sound was quite good. Likes my Audigy though. Very nice.Got some good Creative Media software and a whole host of others with it too.Was