Sign in to follow this  
Icarus

Radeon HD 2900 PRO 512mb: user feedback?

Pros and cons would be appreciated, particularly the Sapphire model.[Noise level is one important factor for me!]

For whatever it is worth, I've been using the 2900XT (1gig) since October, seems to be working just fine with FSX and great with FS9. I use it a lot for video capture and that also is working fine. In addtion to the performance, there is no noticeable heat generated.Abe

Many thanks, Abe. I posted on three forums, but yours has been the only reply! I hope that's simply because the 2900 Pro is so new, plus being a limited edition. I'm seeking info because my current Geforce 6800GT, though fine, really needs upgrading, and my local computer shop keeps trying to flog me the Sapphire 2900 PRO, but I'm a total stranger to Radeon. The Guru 3D review is favourable but with caveats: "...consumes an extensive amount of power when gaming and it isn't the most silent card on the block ...incredible amount of bang for your bucks - if you can live with the knowledge of that power consumption and the fact that it's a noisy product." It's the power and noise questions that bug me. Incidentally, given that the same card can vary so much depending on manufacturer, do you know if Sapphire has a good reputation?

Guest SoarPics

Sapphire neutered their current 2900 Pro from (the spec) 512 bits to 256 bits... although that doesn't seem to bother other current 256 bit/512MB cards (the 8800GT comes to mind.. great performance/price ratio).2900 Pro's are selling at great prices. The only concern would be heat and power consumption. If you've got the power and good cooling it would make a great deal.

I have been using ATI for some time. My older system, which I still have and use, have ATI 850XT which served me(and still does) very well. The HD 2900XT (1gig) is made by Diamond. Like I said, No heat, No special cooling. I am using an Apevia case which I love.Also, 2 more concerns of yours. Power, my electric bill remains practically constant since before and after I got the 2900 and NO NOISE (lol).No experience with the sapphire. Reputation, as far as I know, is as good as Diamond.Abe