Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Vista Users Poll: if you've had Vista over several months, what are your impressions now?

I've been googling opinions on Vista and get about 80% horror versus maybe 20% who like it or better. Some of these may be older articles, but I notice from vista64x.com that even there there is lots of grumbling going on, presumably from less hardware support for 64.If you've used V32 or 64 for long enough to understand it, and get your hardware compatible with it, what is your true impression now? Wait til Windows 7, or jump in? What would you do, TODAY, if you had higher end hardware?I'm trying to tease out opinion from those who installed it and quit on it quickly or maybe didn't have the hardware to use it. I'm on the fence on WHEN to pick up Vista 64, and may dual boot it, unless it's just not a good idea yet. I guess there is a service pack coming or here that maybe improved things since initial release?Many thanks in advance,NoelAlso, wouldn't it be useful to have POLL capabilities in this forum? Always wondered why avsim doesn't as it seems like such a handy feature, especially in a more mature forum where people might tend to be more honest and objective, at least try to be!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32. I have had it installed since its release. The ONLY time I had any issues with Vista was when it was first released and its was not Microsoft's fault (for once ;)). When Vista was first released there were alot of issues with drivers across the board. PC component manufacturers knew when Vista was going to be released, and they dragged their feet in getting stable drivers to the market. I almost lost a RAID 0+1 600GB array due to Nvidia's crap chipset drivers. At least Nvidia did release a working chipset driver within a week of Vista's release.My take is quite simply this, most people that are bashing Vista quite simply do not use it. It's some what different from XP people are resistant to change. I happen to like Vista much more than XP and thats my opinion.However, being that Vista is still "new" my PC's are and have been from the start dual boot with Vista Ultimate and XP Pro.As far as Vista 64 goes my understanding is that the driver support has gotten much better. I do not own any applications or games that are capable of taking advantage of what a 64 bit OS has to offer. So, until that time arises, which isn't going to be anytime soon, I'm choosing to stay away from the 64 bit flavor of any OS.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I just got my new PC last Monday - it's a Dell with Vista 32 preloaded. I'd of course heard all the negativity on the forums here and I was a bit worried about how things were going to go but having installed a bunch of stuff this week and started to get a feel for the OS I think its going to be fine. I don't find I'm having too much trouble figure things out. Sure, theres hiccups here and there, but I can remember having quite a few issues with XP when I first upgraded from win98 too. Just in reading many of the posts here I get the impression people feel that they should just be able to quickly install all their old FS stuff into the new OS, fire up the sim and be flying like nothing had changed. I don't think that's a realistic assumption given that FS2004 is essentially "legacy" software at this point. Even so, the only real issues I'm having revolve around the controllers I have been using for the past four or five years. I used to use the pedals from my MOMO Force wheel for rudders but under vista I can't set them to combined axis. I also can connect my Saitek Cybord stick as it's the old 9 pin connector and the new PC only has USB sockets - and the adaptor I picke dup doesn't seem to adapt properly. So right now I'm flying around with a playstation dual shock controller - which works surprisingly well I might add...But in general, I kinda like Vista so far...

Guest diajohn2

I upgraded to Vista32 almost a year ago. Outside of replacing my old Laser Printer, hardware has not been an issue.It has its quirks and I thought several times about going back to XP especially when I had to reinstall. My base hardware is a 939MB running an Athlon 64x2-3800. It gives me satisfactory flying with the heavy iron payware for FSX. Every once and again, the framerates seem slightly sideshow but not often, even at Heathrow running 30% Ultimate Traffic.The new Vista Service Release works okay but is no big deal for me.Unless you have a reason or just want to do it, stick with XP for now. There is no compelling reason to upgrade as Vista doesn't really offer me anything more than XP. I just wanted to be bleeding edge and achieved that goal. #### no, I'm not going back.

Even though FSX+ACCELERATION runs pretty good, I only use my VISTA 64 with 4gigs of ram for video capture and rendering, it is faster in that respect. I stick with XP pro, smoother, more reliable, easier and less on security bog down.Abe