Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

Jeppesen SimCharts CD Version 2-Opinions Please

Does anyone have any experience with the CD version of Jeppesen SimCharts V2. I was looking at their Website and reading their pitch and was looking for some user's opinion.I understand that you can "unlock" various areas, but how does this unlocking really work. Once you unlock the number of areas you purchased, if you have to reinstall it, can you unlock those same areas again? I was considering getting the 3 for the US. Does it also have enroute charts (Victor and Jet airways) or just Departure/Arrival/SIDS/STARS apprach plates? Can you use the "moving" map portion on a second network computer using Wide FS, or just on the primary FltSim computer? Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad Storm

Guest Moghdad

I recommend them. Their contribution to my enjoyment of FS and my general aviation knowledge has been incredible. The "unlock" feature is a bit of a joke, actually.

Airport, sids, stars, IAPs for places outside of the US and UK are not very plentiful, while I always look at http://www.navdata.at/ to see what's new, I have always used the Jeppesens. Depends of course on what you want. If you like the flight planning details, including noise abatement, sids, stars and all that detail, then Jeppesen is the only way to go. Want to find out the IAP for Biak in Irian Jaya, well it's in the Jeps, Manado on the island of Surabaya in Indonesia (I think) .. well then you need the Jeps. Every airport with a runway over 6000 feet i believe .. great coverage of Africa and South America as well as most of the Pacific ... wish they would break their 6000 foor rules for much of French Polynesis ... but great stuff! Good stuff if you are into flight planning and enjoy the details. Add a good set of Hi/lo airways maps and you can go anywherecheers and

Paul,Your comments are right on. I have two CD's from Jepp's CD V2 and they are very good. I use them all the time both in the US, Europe, Far East.The question about enroute charts are NOT part of the CD's you can order them from Jepp. The US and Europe charts are very reasonable in price. However the charts for the Far East, Japan are very hard to get and Jepp's prices on these are very high, don't know why they don't have them in there SimCharts collection.Bob Johnson

Let me take advantage of the topic and ask. When im inside fs2002, i can

Guest Moghdad

Did you try moving the charts you want onto your hard drive?

Bob,I have been a "customer" of Sporty's Pilot shop for almost 20 years ... getting all my charts through them. www.sportys.com (I think) They sell the US NOAA/DOD Hi/Lo charts and supplements (partial IAP/SID/STAR for some selected airports outside the US for emergency military landing purposes I think) .. The prices are very reasonable. If you look for the HI/LO Pacific, Australasia, Antarctica .. you will see it covers a huge area with HI/LO maps, has airport charts for many (duplicate of Jepps in this case). They also have Africa, Carribean and South America, and of course Europe and the US. The only set that is very expensive >$100 is for East Europe and China.Well worth looking into for inexpensive charts. You can also find the same things at the FAA/NOAA ..but their websites are so very complex it is so hard to find stuff ... I just use Sporty's ... (don;t work for them, but always found them great to do business with)

Thanks Paul,I will look into Sporty's Pilot Shop. I knew about them, but just got into the habit of using Jepp all the time. When I fly from Japan to anywhere in the Far East I almost always have to use the Jepp Plotting charts which don't have all the waypoints for the enroute.Thanks for the tip.Bob Johnson

I recommend them as well. I've been using v1 and now v2 for several years, and the STARS and SIDS are indispensible for flying night IFR into mountainous terrain. Some people dislike them because they can get what they want for free via ECOFLIGHT or CLEARANCE DELIVERY.COM, but echo is going off-line soon, and Clearance is fairly limited, though getting better, in their coverage area.Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

>Did you try moving the charts you want onto your hard drive? Yes i did that, but nothing :( Cheers