Sign in to follow this  
Guest 2little2late

Saitek yoke using 40% cpu

Guest 2little2late

I assume my new Saitek yoke is defective.Any control inputs results in large spikes in cpu usage.With task manager open,I see up to 44% when moving yoke or even the throttle. Let go and cpu returns to 0%.This naturaly causes huge frame rate drops rendering yoke uslessSaitek forums only have X-52 board? I see nothing on yokes.Does anyone have any suggestions?I have reinstalled with Saitek drivers with same results.I would like to avoid returning if posible,but see no other solution.

A little more information about your system would be helpful. FS9, FSX,OS, CPU, RAM, OCed or not etc....

Guest 2little2late

Ok, I was going to post some specs, but didnt think it would matter.Im running Fs9, P4 3.2 @ 3.36, XP home SP1, P4C800-E, 1 gig ram, 2X 36 gig Raptors raid 0, ATI X800 all in wonder, SB Audigy 2.I havent had any issues with TM Cougar or CH pro stuff. I also have the Saitek pedals. I first installed yoke without Saitek drivers and started Fs9 using alternate CFG. I noticed badly fluctuating FPS, so started FS9with original CFG, reconfigured controls and no joy. Then I reinstalled yoke with Saitek drivers and the only difference was the clock worked.With no programs running I opened task manager and watched cpu usage while moving yoke. Moving throttle or prop controls causes spike to a lesser degree, about 20%. As soon as I let go of yoke cpu returns to 0%I am not using the usb hub on yoke. Only the throttle plugged into yoke.Pedals are plugged into usb on computer.I use Cougar with pedals starting Fs9 with original CFG, and yoke and pedals with alternate CFG.I just looked over Saitek website and still do not see forum for Pro flight yoke. I will email them. I am all but certain yoke is defective.I ordered it from Dell and the box showed some damage but just a tear, not like it was dropped or crushed. I like the setup and will exchangefor another, if I cant sort it out. I read about phantom keypress problems some were having but nothing of the nature of my problem. Thanks for looking and any help and or suggestions!Update: I emailed Saitek, rejected by server! I will contact Dell and return for another

One tip, don`t use the Saitek supplied drivers / software. The devices are recognized by the generic windows drivers and can be used in FS. Uninstall the saitek softwareI have two of the Saitek TQ`s configured via FSUIPC and have no problems at all. FSUIPC isn`t necessary either, I only use it for some more complex button sequences and range based controls. Hope you get it sorted - I`m really happy with the throttles.JamesEDIT just saw in your later post that you originally tried them without the Saitek drivers. I would suggest, if you can, removing all other USB devices and seeing if there is a conflict.

There are forums for the Pro Flight Range within the Saitek forums. You must be a registered user to see them. You say the CPU usage jumps, did you look at the actuall processes to see which one is causing the increase in CPU usage?If you want the clock to work, you MUST install the drivers. I have not however installed the Saitek SST programming software. If you have installed the SST software uninstall it and see what happens. Have you opened up your control panel to test the yoke axis' and buttons? If not it should be the next thing you do and last but not least are you running any antivirus programs within the background?Your problem does not sound like a hardware problem. It sounds like some sort of conflict. Have you tried the yoke in another USB port?? Flight Simulator assigns joystcks by a device ID which is assigned to a specific port. So for example originally setting FS up with a Hotas Cougar on USB port1, then unplugging the Hotas from port1 and installing your Yoke to port1 and starting FS can cause issues.It's important that you give your input devices their own dedicated USB port. Plug them in and leave them and you will have much less of chance of a problem.

Guest 2little2late

>There are forums for the Pro Flight Range within the Saitek>forums. You must be a registered user to see them. You say>the CPU usage jumps, did you look at the actuall processes to>see which one is causing the increase in CPU usage?I registered and found a thread where others have the same problem.One guy "fixed it" by restoring his system. I just reinstalled windows2 months ago and aint going thru that again!System & system idle are the only changes in task manager. I unistalledSaitek drivers in device manager but when I plugged yoke back in the Saitek drivers are still there.It was the same before I installed Saitekdrivers anyway.I never installed SST. I have 4 usb ports and have used all with & without pedals plugged in.I will give it a little more time and watch this thread & Saitek forumto see if I can get it sorted. Thanks to everyone!

Guest 2little2late

>One tip, don`t use the Saitek supplied drivers / software.>The devices are recognized by the generic windows drivers and>can be used in FS. Uninstall the saitek software>>>Hope you get it sorted - I`m really happy with the throttles>I unistalled Saitek drivers in device manager but they are still there I will try the rollback when I have a little more time. I do want to avoid returning if possible.I havent flown for real in 15? years, and using the yoke with left hand and the Piper type throttle really feels great!I have used sticks ,CH and now a Cougar, for the past 5 years or so butthe Pro Flight System has sparked new intrest in Fs.I had considered a CH yoke before but was turned away by the right side hat.[WTH? i didnt go thru 6 yrs of training to be called copilot, thank you very much. lol] Thanks

Guest 2little2late

I just received replacement from Dell and it does the same thing. This thing just does not like my computer. I wish I could sort it out, but 2 doing the same means that something just cant get along in my box. I have no idea what. In 5 years and 3 systems I have never had a hardware conflict. It's not like I have exotic hardware. I have tried with & without Saitek drivers, with different ports, including one that had not been used since reinstalling windows, and with nothing else plugged in. Saitek support have no answers and apparently, only a few are having this problem. All functions work correctly, just a massive cpu hog when moving controls. Cpu is 0% when controls are plugged in and just sitting there. One guy's worked fine for a couple months and then acted up. So I cantbe sure if it is defect or conflict. I looked forward to flying with a yoke but I'm not going to try a third one. ;(

Sorry to hear you are having no luck..One question. Do you have any wireless devices, e.g keybd, mouse, joysticks? I`ve heard of people getting odd behaviour with wireless usb and they tend to get overlooked because keyboard & mouse are the first things to be attached to the pc..CheersJames

Guest 2little2late

No wireless stuff at all. No usb hub. Thats what gets me, I dont have any thing new or exotic. I use a TM Cougar, Saitek pedals, and a Logiteck racing wheel, and have used CH setup, and Xbox 360 gamepad, all without problems. If I thought reinstalling Windows would help, I would do it. I just did that 2 months ago, and really cant see what would be the difference.I've completely run out of ideas, there's only so many times I can reinstall yoke and expect it to work. Two yokes with the exact same behavior, and only a few others reporting this problem. If I could find a common piece of hardware with the others, maybe I could narrow it down. It is frustrating to have the sim hardware I would get the most use of, not work! Thanks