Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

FS 2002 Freezing

My FS 2002 freezes while I am flying for no apparrent reason. Anybody have an idea?My System1.6 Gz AMD Atholn512Mgs Ram128 Med ATI Raseon 8500LEWindows 98 Second Edition

Maybe ya could be a bit more specific about you're problem..

dont worry. . . it happens to me too, and has for the past 7 months. . .no idea why.1.2ghz AMD Athlon Tbird512mb SDRAMAbit KT7A60gig HDD. . . . GF3 200 TIim gonna be buying new mobo and cpu here soon so. . . hopefully thatll cure my problems.

Me too- same thing past 6 or 7 months. I actually got it to stop freezing about a year ago when turnig SOUND to medium in sim instead of "max" or whatever.But then about 6 months ago it started again. In more than FS- desktop too randomly.Now I have tried EVERYTHING including removing RAM, trying different slots for RAM, got bigger power box (was 300W now 450W), wiped out and started clean HD-windows 98/XP, uhhhm, tried to swap video cards, tried to disbale sound on board, tried a new sound card, blew a fan straight in on an open case...[breath], tried all updated bios, Ali chip drivers, KICKING THE DAMN THING, removing Ethernet card, (all cards for that matter back in one at a time), all the normal stuff too, SpyBot, AGP 0x, 2x, 4x, 256MB, 128MB, 64MB, etc. Defragged 150 times, removed FS tried FS on D: drive, C: drive, and E: drive, etc- I can go on for hours.THEN- Finally I tried one last thing...I went into BIOS and brought the CPU speed back from 1550 Mhz to 1150 Mhz. No lockups. I think my CPU is tired. She's just plain wore out Funny thing, I never really pushed her that hard. It was ALWAYS set to 1550 Mhz never thought of brining it back in speed until recently. Time for a PENTIUM next time!!! FOR SURE!!!Oh- in case you haven't figured it out above-AMD 1.6 Asus A7A 266512 MB RamGForce 3

A few days ago someone suggested turning off the "aircraft labels" in ATC. I had been experiencing a few freezes and crashes before but last few days since trying this, none. Even in heavy AI areas and multiple ATC legs. Then again it's only been a few days. ;)

I've never oc'd my current CPU. . . since its not unlocked. . .But I think I might underclock it like you stated, perhaps thatll help me out in the mean time while I raise some funds to purchase a new mobo and cpu.

Well guys I am an old phart that doesn't believe in overclocking a 1.6 Mhz CPU, if you need more speed then buy a faster CPU.I have an AMD XP2000+, Gigabyte 333 MHz mobo, 256 Mb of DDR ramCPU came with it's own fan and I had purchased a Tornado 6 not knowing that it came with one. My son put a Tornado on his and it is noisy. I use the std fan plus a Wally World desktop fan with left side of case left open. CPU temp maintains 50C temperature although I am not sure how accurate that is.Run FS2k2 with MOST sliders just about maxed out but not all of them. Dont have access to my computer right now or would provide my settings. Set FPS at 25 and it is working just fine.Have had NO LOCKUPS. CPU is running at 1600+ Mhz according to the "tunnel" program for overclocking that came with the mobo.OUtside view will knock your FPS by about half but I don't really think flying from the outside is all the great.

Guest Lobaeux4

I experienced problems with freezing with my AMD 1700XP overclocked to a an 1800. I would fly all right for awhile, but then !WHAM!, FS would freeze, especially at the worst time, on final. I would almost be running FS2K2 all day long. What I eventually did, and I don't recommend this, just saying what I did, was removed the sides of my case, then I've got a fan blowing cold air over the mobo. It cooled the mobo and cpu down, and now no lockups. Since I put the fan next to the computer, the noise (fan noise) went up, the lockups went down. Now, I don't have an exhaust fan on my case either, that could be a cause as well, I'm planning on putting one in. I'd suspect heat is the cause of your lockups, I dl'd a program called HMonitor that tells the temp of the mobo and cpu, not sure how accurate it is but it gives me a generalised view of temp readings.Lobaeux