Sign in to follow this  
Guest william273

nvidia AA problems

Guest william273

just cranked up my new machine using the nvidia 8600GT...AA does NOT work. i have it turned off in FS9 but no changes when using the control panel in the video card. also the graphics are grainy in the cockpit and the ground textures at the airport a just one flat solid color... blue. the guys at the computer store may or may not have installed the lastest drivers but i would like to think it should work with just the installation disk. i will check the driver version. william

Have you set the display properties to the resolution you want and 32 bit colour?Default is 256 colours... :-)

Bert

Guest william273

hi bert yea, i have it set at 1600x1200 res and 32 bit color.

Guest william273

bert, the card doesn't seem to connect to FS9 at all. i'm using windows xp also. i've seen a few people with the same problems on different forums and some mention a program called nhancer or something like that. some people got the problem solved and others didn't. some of the ones that did get it solved were presented with new problem, i don't want that. is this card useless? i see no effects at all good or bad when using the control panel. should i be thinking about exchanging it for another card? new drivers don't do anything either. william

Not sure what the problem is... could of course be a defective card..Do you have the external power connected to it and is your power supply OK?Have you also selected the correct resolution and color in the FS9 settings?As a test, rename fs9.cfg to fs9.bak and start up FS9.It will generate a new copy.Then, in FS9, look in the hardware properties and see if it correctly identifies your card. Does the card work OK outside FS9?

Bert

Guest william273

well everything else seems to work except FS9. i have a 460 watt power supply but not sure what you mean by external power connected to it. there are 2 plugs on the back of the card and i'll try the other plug and see what happens. also will redo the config like you mentioned. thanks, william

Hi, that card oes not have a pciE power connector from what I've read. So he should be ok there. Have you tried modifing the FS9 profile in the control panel? Look under program settings, should be a list of games. Find fs9 and set it up there, then turn on AA in the game and see what happens. Also , look under image settings preview in the control panel and tick off use the advanced 3d settings. Not sure if this will help but worth a try. :)Larry

Guest william273

hi larry, if you're talking about the list of programs in the nvidea control panel there isn't one for flight simulator, there are profiles for many other games but FS9 isn't listed.i reinstaled the drivers and what shows up is 6.14 for the version. i don't think that is correct though. should be 169.21 shouldn't it?

From what I've read in other forums Nvidia is about to release the 171.16 beta drivers that will fix the AA profile bug, if you don't want to wait a week or so then try researching Nhancer, should be plenty of info on how to use it to overide the Nvidia profiles to get your AA working again.

Hmmm, no setting for "MS Flight Simulator 2004" ? That is how it is listed in the profiles. As for your driver version, how did you install it? From Win Update, disc, or Nvidia site? If you look in your control panel/system/hardware/device manager, then under display adapters you should see 8600GT, right click on it, then click properties. Look under the driver tab for the driver version number. Mine is 7.15.11.6925 . Post your number here.Larry

Guest william273

mine is 6.14. just talked to nvidia tech support and he said i should try the 169.28 beta driver but it doesn't work.where did you get that version larry? i would like to try that. there is an AA setting in FS9 but nothing for color. do you have AA on or off in FS9? william

Guest william273

i'll have a look. thanks man, william

When you select your resolution in FS9, you can select the same resolution with different color depths.. Make sure you go all the way down the list to 32 bit color.

Bert

This is a profile bug within the Nvidia 160 + drivers, the only way get AA working in those drivers is to use Nhancer to override the Nvidia Profiles they changed for whatever ? reason, hopefully the yet to appear 171 + drivers will fix this bug in FS9 & FSX.