Sign in to follow this  

Joysticks

Guest kilo_sierra17

Hey everyone, I am in the market right now for a new Joystick, I bought about 2 years ago a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold, it is an awesome joystick, I was really happy with it, however it is starting to show its age, and thats why I was wondering if some people could tell me what kind of joystick they have or point to some good ones, I really do not want to spend any more then about 100 or 150 CAD, force feedback, I am not sure yet, but I really would appreciate some feedback.

if you want it cheap then EBAY is the way to go. ive bought several things so far very cheap. i just got me a new headset today! sound quality is tons better!!.anyway. i bought myself the CH virtual pilot pro and pro pedals last month at ebay aswell. in total including shipping i only paid $98 US and the seller sent me the gamecard 3 for free. :)so try checking at ebay. theres usually always someone selling something from CH or MS. they do have some force feedback pro's there but i like the feeling of flying by yoke instead of stick. hehe.havent found any consoles at ebay yet but im sure i will soon :)a note about buying on ebay tho. always check the sellers feedback. if they have too much bad feedback then that usually means theyre trouble. if they have alot of good feedback then those are the ones you want. those with no feedback you pretty much take a risk. but ALWAYS contact the seller before the bidding ends. if he contacts you back then your most likely in good hands. if you get no reply then take your bid off cause your wasting your time.i also have a logitech wingman extreme which i bought about 3 years ago at staples. its ok. i use it as a backup or just use it for other stuff.

Joysticks are so much about personal preference. I find that most joysticks are too soft and flimsy for me. I am actually using the Cyborg 3d right now. I ditched my CH yoke since it just doesn't offer the resistance I want. My best advice is to find a store which has lots of display models to try out. There are a few low cost USB sticks out there that are very nice.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest jason2112

Have you considered the Saitek X45? It consists of two parts: joystick for the right hand and thrust lever for the left, numerous buttons, switches and two rotary controls. The surface feels very nice, so much better than any other joystick I've tried. Drivers for XP were a problem, but the current ones from Saitek's website seem to be ok.It costs around 80-90 EUR, which should translate to the same amount in USD (don't know about canadian dollars ;)). I think that's a very reasonable price, compared to the Thrustmaster Cougar (>300 EUR) or a Yoke.It really depends on what planes you like. If you're a Cessna or Boeing man, then a yoke might be more interesting. My favortite planes are the Marchetti SF260 and the Airbus A320, so a stick is what I want.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

Guest kilo_sierra17

Thanks for your feedback, I probably will go with something that has a joystick, because I just dont fly just one plane, I liked to fly a good mix so buying a contorl for a certain type of aircraf to me would be useless, another thing about joysticks is that I have quite a few driving games and joysticks work well for that and flightsim, so that is really why I wanted a Joystick, I did consider the Saitek X45, I know that XP drivers from Saitek are not easy to go get, had the same problem as you Volker, but got some and works good for me. Thanks for all your feedback and I will have to do some looking around.

Guest kilo_sierra17

Anyone else have any more advice? I really would like lots of input of what to buy.

I wish I could get my Cyborg 3D to work with WinXP. Its probably my favorite choice for FS2002, especially since I can use it left-handed to fly Airbus.-------------Michael

I bought a refurbished Saitek X-45 from their web site for about 1/2 retail and have been well pleased with it.Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Recently I bought a saitek cyborg 3d force joystick.personally I believe it was a waste of money as the cyborg 3d I had previously was doing the job and I dont think that the force feedback capabilities in FS2K2 are up to scratch.by the way im left handed and found my options very limitedandyky

Guest kilo_sierra17

Thanks for your info guys, yes I heard that also that FS2002 Force Feedback is not very good, so I am not sure about that for a feautre, well all of you guys seem to like Saitek lots, so I think I will be doing some looking around for them! Thanks guys.

I just paid 29 bucks for the Saitek Cyborg 3D USB Gold and I think it's great.It's very easy to fly with, the trigger and thumb buttons work great for trimming the plane, that big spring on the bottom makes trimming a piece of cake. Still trying to figure out what to do with the other 12 buttons. And that 8 position hat switch is awsome.I was using a $15. non USB Saitek analog joystick untill I bought the laptop and needed the USB, I think Saitek makes a pretty good stick.By the way that was at Comp USA for $29.

I am using the saitek cyborg 3d usb gold with windows xp and it works fine.