Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

Best Settings Hardware/Software for FS2002

Hi Guys I recently upgraded from a 1 Ghz Athlon to an Athlon XP2100+. After intially struggling with a heat problem all runs well again although I must admit I am a tad dissapointed with the performance. I seem to remember some specific performace issues (tweaks) that had to be done, both to my hardware in setup (AGP 4x, AGP aperture size, AGP Fast Write etc.)and to FS2002 in order to run it at a reasonable frame rate with reasonable graphics quality.I am currently running FS2002 with all sliders to the right - don't know if thats a good thing - and have limited frames to 25 *wishful thinking on my part*.My system specs are as follows:AMD Athlon XP2100+Asus A7A266 MB with ALi M1647 (I understand there are some tweaks with the ALi chipset and Nvidia based AGP's - anyone who has had previous experience here - help would be greatly appreciated!)Leadtech Geforce2 Titanium 64 MB DDR (which is the best overclocking - maintenance utility for this card? - I am currently using Winfox...)512 MB Pc133 RAM20 GB 7200 rpm HDWindows XPAny assistance on recommended settings for both FS2002 and Hardware setup tweaks would be greatly appreciated.Kind Regards,RobFAJS

*Bump*Ok, last questions before I let this post drift off into the archives...Does anyone have any ideas on what the best 3D tweaking utility is?And does anyone have any tips for best FS2002 performace under Win XP Pro?Thanks RobFAJS

Doesn't look like this thread is generating any useful response. Too bad, because I would like to have learned from it. I'm returning to FS after a long layoff, and have been looking for suggestions and tweaks to maximize frame rate. I'm surprised there isn't a faq or tweak guide for maximizing FS2002 performance. (Maybe there is, but if so it isn't in the file library here. I searched on "guide", "faq" and "tweaks" and found nothing.)I have an older Tbird 1.4 with the multiplier set so that it runs at 1.53, making it effectively an 1800+. I lock my FPS at 18.0. And that's what I get except in very dense scenery with a lot of AI traffic, and then it drops to the 10-13 FPS range.I have an "old" Voodoo 5500 -- which I hope to take out today and put in a new Radeon 9500 which I'm expecting via UPS (fingers crossed) -- so I don't have much experience with 3D tweaking. But I'd check out Riva Tuner (I think is the name). Take a trip over to www.guru3d.com for more help on 3D tweaking.Meanwhile, I'm going to search the 'net and see if I can turn up any tweaking guides for FS2002.-Basil

I have a somewhat similar setup. I have the fps limiter at 16fps, the lower values are much better for limiting the blurryness at higher aircraft speeds; AA at 2x in the video card settings; cloud density at 75%; AI at 50%. With this I get pretty good performance most of the time, the graphics are excellent but I have a GEF4 Ti4200 which was a big improvement in graphics over my previous GEF2TiNigelVancouverMy System:AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Gigabyte GA 7VAX mobo Albatron GEForce4 Ti 4200P Turbo128MB video card (31.40drv)512MB Samsung PC2100DDR RAMIBM 40GB 7200rpm hard driveMaxtor 20GB 7200rpm hard driveCreative Sound Blaster PCI128 with latest driversCHProducts PCI yoke and pedalsWindows 98FE updatedTwo case fans