Sign in to follow this  
arno

What our hobby/community REALLY needs!!

I have started this new topic after reading a topic from an enthusiast expressing his frustration at trying to learn how to repaint aircraft and trying to find relevant tutorials.I know how he feels! :) Everything I do in this hobby involves me in a giant, steep learning curve. It took me AGES to figure out how to configure/use Vatsim and Roger Wilco -- I searched all over for tutorials - there were a number of them but they were all lacking ( no disrespect meant to their authors) . I finally figured it all out but it was real hard - and I can imagine that many would have given the task up ( and I don't blame them) . The same goes for me trying to learn about how to fine tune the flight dynamics of aircraft.WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS SOME EDUCATORS -- to guide us and train us. Trouble is I guess ( like in real life ) - many people are really brilliant in what they do -- but they can't communicate it or maybe even don't want to! :(What we need is for people like Father Bill Leaming of Tocata fame ( are you listening Bill?) -- experienced , competent, articulate -- to do us some COMPLETE , COMPREHENSIBLE tutorials on ALL the aspects of creation in the FSIM world. Not much of an ask , hey!! :)If you are here Bill, how about a blow - by - blow comprehensive description of the creation process for the Tocata ?? I know it will actually take longer than the ACTUAL creation process. But you know the saying - Give a man a fish and you ease his hunger for a day - but teach him HOW to fish and ...!!Could AVSIM set up an "education" section in their website where known gurus could lay some training excercises for us -- only if they want to , of course. This is after all just a hobby.Barry

This is pretty much the push behind our AER (AVSIM Education Resource) section on AVSIM. There are some resources already there and links to others, but we've always wanted this to turn into something big. Problem is that like anything that one volunteers for, it can often turn into a very time consuming thankless job, so your heart really has to be in it to see it through. For anyone interested in seeing what we have, you can find the AER link on our frontpage on the top menu. I know Chuck hasn't had any time to work with it lately but if there are any out there that would like to contribute something, definitely send us an email at staff@avsim.com as it would be greatly appreciated.

On top of that, scott...so many tuts have been written and quickly obsoleted. Heck by the time the folks on the leading edge really figure something out, we're ready for the next version and the tuts become outdated. The insidious thing is that the veterans know what parts to smile at and overlook, but newbs don't know that. Look at the awesome tuts out there for GMAX ver 1 and 1.1, which are confusing the heck out the newbs on ver 1.2 cuz the material editor was changed.We never did see a good tutorial for mesh1withtex style phototerrain for fs2000. By fs2k2, we almost had it working too! LOL...and aren't I pleased I put no time into that tut....fs2k2 wiped it all away.Writing it all down seems nearly impossible to start with, and keeping it up to date seems to even harder. B

Guest odog

hey guys, I'll have to agree with the instantly outdated tutorials. Gmax in particular. I think the best way for newbies to get learning is to create a team, where everyone is at nearly the same level. Get a modeler, a painter, a panel designer, and someone to do flight dynamics. Then set realistic goals. Ive seen too many people waft thru here saying how they were going to build the BEST plane ever made for fs2002. This is silly for a newbie to think this way. Make planes to share with your team, and avoid the pressure of public release, until you're all good enough to do so. There's no better place to learn than right here over at the design forums. No question goes unanswered, if your making an attempt to figure it out. Dont come in and say.." How do I run Gmax " make an effort and be specific with whats got you hung up. I spend more time w/ gmax than I do flying anymore, because its my passion. If you have that then you'll learn. I think I could write a good gmax toot, but like Bill and alot of designers, you always have a full plate. Sacraficing time to write it down is not really an option for many. Again, if you get yourself started, questions always get answered here...Thats why this is my home away from home.joe

The old documentation chestnut!I have to write the odd bit of technical documentation at work and it is generally much harder work than the procedure/workaround/whatever you are trying to explain. Most people that are good at something technical are at a complete loss trying to explain what they do. The main problem is pitching the tutorial correctly. You often end up oversimplifying to get the right level for the novice, but patronise the reader with some knowledge. The reverse is also true - you end up overlooking the 'obvious' things, not realising that they are only obvious to you.Good luck!

Amen!!! But whatever is written should be in reasonably large font with a distinct contrast between print and background. Looking at some websites, I don't see how they ever sell anything.

I hear that! I saw it written once that designers tend to have good vision, so they don't notice that their work is practically illegible to anyone over the age of 22. Now I've been blessed with nearly perfect vision myself (knock on wood) but I try to remember that I'm an exception, not the rule, when I'm designing documents.And I concur with Bob on the documentation conundrum. I'm starting to figure things out with FS2002 scenery design, and I'd love to write some tutorials. But man, who has the time to put it all down in a readable fashion? It takes soooo much time, and that's time I can't spend designing scenery. About the best I can offer right now is trying to help people out with specific forum requests.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest eko

I agree completely that the toughest part of the creative process is that which isnt... manuals/documentation.I spent almost as much time preparing some "halfway" decent documentation for my Advanced Boeing 747-400 panel as I did in making many parts of it! And although it is fairly simplistic documentation (IMHO), it was much more time consuming than I had originally thought.I absolutely shudder at the thought of the documentation process when I create anything that is just a bit over completely self-explanatory. Heck, and I'm an educator!Still, I do like the idea of putting down knowledge on "virtual paper" for the benefit of all. It will go on my "list of things to do when I have a few spare days/weeks in my life".

Hi Bob I fully understand what many people go through many of the older tools were never really will documented and as you know thatoften applied to Microsoft's documentation as well. Now we have toolsthat have to do far more a tool like gamx is in-fact VERY complex I"do" modelinganimation for part of my living and like I said while the tools give one the ability to create just about anything one can dream of it takes some times years of use to learn some of the tools. In fact when one works in the field of CGI one tends to specialize in one area as most of the "pro" tools are far more complex than gamx. Maya unlimited for example has things like fluid dynamics that allow one to create things like water that has volumedensity and when the tool is used properly allows one to create whatis fact fully modeled water or clouds or explosions of just about any other "thing" that has fluid properties and that just one tool inone program. In short modeling the world is VERY complex and I am sorry to say that because of the above we will all just have to learnto keep up!. To the original poster I feel for you all I can say iskeep at it and learn you will pick it up. Because like I have saidwe all want more and more from the software and the more that software has to do the more complex it will become. Dan

I agree will what was said above.The best place for specific problems are the design forums, most of the problems can get solved there.And about the tutorials, I got some in the pipeline, but where do I find the time to finish them :). I think a day needs to have more then 24 hours, because only writing about making scenery is no fun, so also need time to actually build something. Well, I'll try to get some more tips and things on my website soon :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog