Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Nvidia 174.12 BETA Drivers.....

Guest ziporama

Nick,any luck with DX10 with these drivers?Cheers,Etienne

Guest Nick_N

>Nick,>>any luck with DX10 with these drivers?>>Cheers,>>Etienne> I am using a 3780 X2 ATI for Vista and DX10... and my use of Vista is only for testing, and, even with that I do not use DX10 in FSX with Vista except where I was required to test the DX10 results, which... hmmmm OK, I will probably get smacked like I did posting benchmarks last year, but ... it put Nvidia to shame for no issues and solid performance.I would not go there with current Nvidia offerings and regular use of FSXJust my opinion

Guest ziporama

Thanks Nick, no need to get smacked, I'm searching for a solution with DX10 lights and flashing textures and it appears I chose my last video card poorly :)Cheers,Etienne

Actualy looks like the latest Beta driver for 8800 is 174.20.It's available on Guru3D.comPete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

The 174.16 drivers are on the official Nvidia site for series 9 cards. So what's up with that? What happened to the "unified" driver approach? Does this mean that my 2 month old 8800GT is now obsolete and drivers for it have been relegated to the backburner? Maybe ATI hasn't lost the war after all if they can continue to support their cards while Nvidia can't. These kind of shenanigans by Nvidia will definitely make me think more about my next purchase.

The 174.12 drivers have support for the series 6, 7, and 8 video cards."with the help of a 'tweaked' INF file from (one) PHK comes with support for the GeForce 6, 7 and 8 series cards."The rest of the 174 betas that I have found appear to be 9 series only but who knows unless you give them try.I'm using the 174.12 betas under Vista 32 and I am quite pleased. The graphical quality is definitely better than the 169.25s.

I don't think so. When the 8800 series cards first came out, NVidia released the R95 Forceware drivers that only supported the 8800 cards (no support for previous GF6 or GF7 cards).NVidia kept on providing updated drivers for previous models of video cards (FX, GF6, GF7) under the R90 Forceware drivers until they were all unified under the R162 drivers.I expect the GF9 drivers to evolve on their own for a little while and eventually be unified with GF6-7-8 under a future driver release from NVidia. In the meantime, I expect each group of video card to be provided with updated drivers under it specific Release number.R169 for the GF6-7-8R174 for the GF9Future R??? that will unified the GF9 with previous models until NVidia comes up with a new GPU and the cycle start all over again.I own a 8800GTX and I don't worry.Best regards,

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Guest Nick_N

>I'm using the 174.12 betas under Vista 32 and I am quite>pleased. The graphical quality is definitely better than the>169.25s.I am seeing the same thing here on Xp x64. I also test every one of those beta's and WHQL's and the 174.12's have the least issues and the best performance/visual results since the 169.13's with both my nvidia rigs.

Must be quite the driver crew over there at Nvidia to come up with so many specific driver revisions.........are there any fixes involved?Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 169.28's Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest abulaafia

What a great tip, thanks. I see a definite improvement with these drivers.

Guest ziporama

I feel a bit lonely here with Vista x64 and an Nvidia 8 series card :)Not to sound like a broken record, I will anyway, has anybody noticed improvements with disappearing nav/beacon lights and z-buffer issues in DX10 preview mode?Cheers,Etienne

I think you will find the support for driver issues in the DX10 preview mode will be limited if not next to nothing.As Nick said above, I would concentrate on using FSX with DX9 and wait for the true DX10 version - FS11 !!Glenn

They must be quite a team indeed. Most driver release involve fixes, but it does not mean that it will benefit your system specifically. You must read the release notes to know if they are beneficial to your own system or not.One thing I like about NVidia is the detailed description of what's in that release that they put in their release notes. Usually, a new release involve several fixes, but once in a while, it could simply fix a problem with a specific card for a specific game on a specific platform. If your video card is different, or you don't have that game, or are not running on that platform (Win XP vs Vista, 32 vs 64-bit, etc...), then there is no benefit for you to install those updated drivers.In the past, I've skipped quite a few updated drivers simply because they brought nothing new for my system. It's all in the release notes.Take care !

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Why ? As DX10 may give you a performance boost, and improves on lightning (HDR), there is no reason not to use it.The only problems I see : - older (FS9 style) plane addons (which I don't use much anyway)- Z buffer errors, which are supposedly driver related (I opened another thread for this : do ATI owners have the same issues with DX10 preview ? But no one wants to answer this simple question.)I am sure in 2 years time, when 3rd parties have picked up, most people will be using DX10 preview.just my 2 cents, Jan