Sign in to follow this  
Guest drewhosick

RAM a big difference in my setup?

Guest drewhosick

Would you say more ram would make much difference in my setup?I've got an AMD 64 3400+ on the older style board(I can't remember if it's 939 or 754 but the older socket of the two.1gig of pc 3200 RAM6800GT Video card on AGPWould going to 2 gigs make a big difference? I currently run at 20 fps but the settings are fairly low in FSX and I wouldn't mind bumping them up just a tad and include a little ai traffic as well as being able to run Active Weather and things like that without a major drain on fps.Problem is unless I go for a full new system, I can't really upgrade anything specific being that I have to go to PCI Express and new ram(PC 3200 is the original DDR Ram and not ddr2)

RAM will help, but in my opinion, the whole system needs an upgrade. the AMD 64 3400+ is a single core, meaning more stutters/blurries. 1 GB of RAM is not enough; FSX likes 2, FSX+Vista likes 4, and it's a slow RAM. DDR2 is today's standard, especially DDR2-800. The 6800 GT is not bad, but you are being limited by your AGP bus.Forget that ranting, I just read the bottom of your post :D. But yes, faster and more RAM will help very much. If you have XP, 2 GB will suffice. But the other components will be a bottleneck; you can have 16 GB of DDR3-1866 RAM if you wanted (and if your motherboard supported it), but the CPU, especially for FSX, will still be the bottleneck. Please check out the link on my sig to see my advice, and please leave a comment if you liked it!Regards,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest drewhosick

Thanks for the info but if I may, maybe I'll be a bit more specific in my question.I just flew out of Charles-De-Gaules Airport with 20% traffic(UT), Active Weather X, Active Graphics, GEX, and FS Time running.I was getting 8 or 9 frames when taxiing if I was looking at the a pile of ai aircrafts, 12 or 13 frames when I wasn't and 20(my capped FPS) in the air. Now, on the ground where I was getting 8 or 9 fps and 12-13fps, would I most likely see a small increase with the same settings if I doubled the ram to 2 gb's? I am currently happy with my setup in terms of graphics but it is a bit tough to deal wtih at 8 or 9 fps on the ground and on takeoff at 12 and I wouldn't mind boosting that by, say, a few fps, maybe 5.