Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

What is the next upgrade?

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,my specs now:MSI K7T266Pro2-RU / Via KT 266512 MB DDR memoryAthlon XP 2100+GF4Ti4600.I am begging for more horsepower again.What would you upgrade next?1. Mobo (nForce2)and RAM2. Prozessor (Athlon 2600+ not sure if at all possible with my mobo)3. Graphics card (ATI 9700, GFFX)My financial resources only allow me to upgrade one of the three.Thx fr yr suggestions,Alex

Alex,You have the same specs as I do, only you have a GF4 and I got a GF2.I'm afraid that your mobo will not take any other processor but the 2100 XP. If you want more processor power you will have to upgrade to a newer mobo. Other then that you can install more RAM to make things run smoother.I'm afraid that with this system your on top of the range. My question is..... Why do you need more power? I've been running FS2002 with most of the settings on max and with good framerates.Saludos,Celador

Guest PaulL01

>Hi guys, >>my specs now: >>MSI K7T266Pro2-RU / Via KT 266 >512 MB DDR memory >Athlon XP 2100+ >GF4Ti4600. >>I am begging for more horsepower again. >>What would you upgrade next? >>1. Mobo (nForce2)and RAM >2. Prozessor (Athlon 2600+ not sure if at all possible with >my mobo) >3. Graphics card (ATI 9700, GFFX) >>My financial resources only allow me to upgrade one of the >three. >>Thx fr yr suggestions, >>Alex The cap seems to be $400 as you say that a 9700 or GFFX is an option, so according to that here is what I would do:1.GFFX=$400 just realize that in FS2k2 you can expect about a 4-8% fps increase over what you can see now with >no AA or AF< and that will now be able to be >maintained< with only the slightest drop in fps while AA and AF is turned on. 2. your board might be able to support $200-XP2400-"c"=266fsb maybe even the XP2600c=266fsb but you will have to check with them.3. I would have suggested an NforceII board and XP2600 combo =$400 but then you would still need memory =$200 Hope that helps you.

Guest gasebah

Hi Celador,thx fr answering>My question is..... Why do you need more power? The answer is simple. I am an add-on freak. And I am a picture quality freak. I have almost all settings maxed and I am currently running at 1600x1200x32 with ActiveSky, Flightmax, Reality XP and the FSGarmin as well as AOL in the background. Normally I have set AF to 4 or sometimes I switch it of and runn AA4x instead depending on the situation. So finally it all adds up. Also I have running 3 monitors and a whole stack of GF units. So at some tme it all adds up. Right now I am missing 4-5 fps that I once had. I rarely reach the 25 that I have locked and that I find necessary to decently run FS2002.Alex

Guest gasebah

Hi Paul,thx fr yr suggestions.1. GFFX / if I can gain 2-3 fps and maintain AA and AF both set to 4 at 1600x1200x32 that sounds encouraging. I think I'll go for the GFFX2. Prozessor / I checked with them today. There is no BIOS available to run anything higher than my current XP2100+. The board is only 1 1/2 years old. Funny enough the version without the RAID controller on board works up to XP 2600+ with a new BIOS. I am po'ed to the max. This will be my last MSI board.3. All together is not in my checkbook for now. Paul, what performance gain would you expect from the mobo and the faster memory alone?BTW does onyone have an idea what I would gain if I would move AOL and Active Sky to another computer via WideFSThx,Alex

Guest gasebah

Lol. Hi Mark,actually yes. You wouldn't believe it basically I do a lot more flying than building, since I have finished my cockpit. Now, that the cockpit is ready I actually get bored sometimes. Gives me ideas.Alex