Sign in to follow this  

Pentium4 or AMD

Guest ront1

Hi Guys, I am just wondering what most of you guys are using for Processors in your computer. I am upgrading and am trying to make the best choise here. Also if you would not mind sharing what motherboards you are using. I really appreciate it.Thanks, Ron

amd athlon xp 1700 @ 1.85ghz on a msi k7t266 pro2 (with the via kt266a chipset)only thing missin for me is a RAID adapter :Dother stuff in the box:120gb ibm 7200rpm60gb ibm 7200rpm(1* 10gb and 1*60gb maxtor not in use but in the box :( )asus geforce4 ti44001gig ddr ram

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Guys, > I am just wondering what most of you guys are using for >Processors in your computer. I am upgrading and am trying to >make the best choise here. Also if you would not mind >sharing what motherboards you are using. I really appreciate >it. >>Thanks, Ron Ron, though they do cost more if you want the most power (3.06Ghz)and painless trouble free operation go Intel.If you want bang for the buck decent power go AMD, the best MB's for XP-333fsb chips right now use the Nvidia NforceII chipset, if you can wait a month or so, AMD is releasing the barton chip, an XP with an additional 256kb of onchip cache that should bring performance right on up on par with the P4 with it's 512kb cache.you can see my rig specs below, I enjoy my rig, but it is much more of a pain than any P4 rig, its just the way it is, >VIA< chipsets suck, and you can quote me on that! :-lol

Guest ront1

Hi Paul, I see you have an Epox MB. I have been considering an Epox 8RDA. Would prefer the + but can't seem to find one in stock. Unless I go with the P4.Ron

Guest outtatimeiii

CPU: AMD Athlon T-bird 1.2GHzMobo: Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 with R8 BIOSRAM: 256MBVideocard: ATI Radeon 64MB VIVOSoundcard: ESS AudioDrive ES1938HD's: 40GB Western Digital 5400RPM & 6.4GB AC26400 Western Digital 5400RPM "the very noisy one" (For linux)OS's: Dualboot with WinXP Pro and Debian Linux 3.0 R0It seems like its not too cutting edge today. It actually is a pretty good performer, running some games better than higher spec comps. I have AMD chips in all my comps, so I think I will stick with AMD until the end.-----For my older system:CPU: AMD K6-2 400MHzMobo: VIA MVP3 (I think, havent been on this machine in a while)RAM: 192MBVideocard: 3dfx Voodoo Banshee 16MBSoundcard: ESS AudioDrive ES1938HD: 20GB Western Digital 7200RPMOS: WinXP ProAs you can see, the soundcard is the same thing in both machines, never bothered to upgrade that since its working fine.Hope this helps

Guest ront1

Are there any more opinions??Thanks, Ron

Guest Stratus_Fractus

AMDs in general run hotter and slower, but they are cheaper. Intel is more expensive, but runs faster and cooler.

Guest daves0

I have an AMD as well...AMD XP1800+soyo dragon plus 266a mb512 meg ddr2100 ramgeforce3 ti500 video100gig hd 7200 hdand 40gig Seagate Barracuda IV hdThis board does support Raid....although it is now a bit older about a year ???This system is still not fast enough to run FS2002 full bore...it slows down quite a bit at KLAX and other high density airports...

Guest flightpro08

My last three systems (including my current run) have been powered by Intel's Pentium 4 CPU. If you have the extra money, diffenitly go with Intel.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.01 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Guest BAW083

If you get a nForce2 mobo, stick a good Athlon in there.

Guest JonP01

I'm perfectly happy with this system. Totally stable, and the components were actually quite cheap (in relative terms):Athlon XP 2400 +ASUS A7S333 mainboardMushkin DDR RAM 256MbASUS V9280 SuperFast Geforce 4 (in layman's terms a Geforce Ti 4400 and-a-half)all running on Win98SE Lite.In regard to temps, the Thouroughbred "B" core is actually pretty good. At an ambient temperate of 23 degrees I get CPU temps of around 43 degrees at full, sustained load. Those temps are around the same as the older Palomino core running 333 Mhz slower.But I'm pretty fickle and when I build a new machine I just put in what I feel suits me best at the time. I don't think you can go wrong with Intel or AMD. I just chose AMD time time around because the mobo/cpu/ram combo seemed to offer much better bang for the buck, and I was also keen to use the new (at the time) SiS 745 chipset - which has turned out to a be fine piece of silicon.Oh yes, I hate Via as well :-lol

Guest ront1

Well I made an order. From www.mwave.com I ordered a Asus P4PE/L MB, P4 1.8g processor(with HS and fan) and 256MB PC2700 DDR ram. I will put this with my Radeon 9500PRO and see what happens. Hopefully it will all be good. Thanks for your feedback guys.Ron

jerrycwo4Daves0... I have a system almost like yours, except mine has DUEL AMD 1800+ processors ( the 2nd one does NOT help Fs2002, only PhotoShop). What drivers are you using? Thanks, jerry

Just got:Athlon 2600+ 333 Mhz FSBASUS A7N8X Deluxe MBRadeon 9500 pro512 MB Corsair DDR 400 running in dual DDR modeWD 80 Gig HD with 8MB cacheAll I have to say is I never knew flightsim could look this good and run this smooth. I consistently get high 20's on framerate with every scenery option set to the max. I had trouble with the "staircase" effect at first but then I realized I didnt have the Anti-liasing turned up on my graphics card. I am totally pleased with this setup!