Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motormouse

Download Manager Problem

Guest ChrisE

I have a download manager "Fresh Download" that works perfectly well with all the other sited that I visit. If I start a download it automatically becomes the download manager. This is useful as it supports resume etc.Unfortunately it doesn't wok with Avsim. I just get the old default download page & then if I get a lost connection problem I can't resume. This is a real problem as I would like to downolad the Ohio MSTS route & I can't do it in the time before my service provider cuts me off & I have to re establish the connection.Why won't my download manager work with Avsim?

Guest enave

Here's what little I know of the AVSIM library: When you request a file, it is moved (or linked I guess) from its usual storage place to a place where you can access it over the Internet. So, unless you request the file through the AVSIM library interface, the file is not accessible. Furthermore, as part of the process of moving the file, it is placed in a directory with a randomized name. In other words, there is no way that you can know a link to directly download a file. You have to go through the library interface each time. This is done, I presume, to prevent other people from putting up websites of their own that download directly from AVSIM - thus leaching bandwidth.When you return with your download manager and try to resume a download, the link to the file no longer exists. Now, if you're really highly motivated to fix this problem, I suggest you figure out where the download manager stores the addresses of files it is downloading. When you want to resume a file from AVSIM, request the file through the library interface and note the new link address. Then edit the download manager's config to use this new address rather than the old one.

Guest ChrisE

Doesn't sound possible with my lack of expertise. I would like to observe that some of us have no access to cable/ broadband because our rural telephone systems won't support it & cable companies don't cable rural areas.PLEASE remember us when deciding how to package files.

Guest Matt Johnson

>Here's what little I know of the AVSIM library: When you>request a file, it is moved (or linked I guess) from its usual>storage place to a place where you can access it over the>Internet. So, unless you request the file through the AVSIM>library interface, the file is not accessible. Furthermore,>as part of the process of moving the file, it is placed in a>directory with a randomized name. In other words, there is no>way that you can know a link to directly download a file. You>have to go through the library interface each time. This is>done, I presume, to prevent other people from putting up>websites of their own that download directly from AVSIM - thus>leaching bandwidth.Precisely. Good analysis of what we do.>When you return with your download manager and try to resume a>download, the link to the file no longer exists. Now, if>you're really highly motivated to fix this problem, I suggest>you figure out where the download manager stores the addresses>of files it is downloading. When you want to resume a file>from AVSIM, request the file through the library interface and>note the new link address. Then edit the download manager's>config to use this new address rather than the old one.Well, the links will "stay around" for between 72-84 hours. If your download manager is failing to handle the links within that time period, it is deficient.Regards,--M

Guest Motormouse

>Well, the links will "stay around" for between 72-84 hours. If>your download manager is failing to handle the links within>that time period, it is deficient.>>Regards,>>--MThats' answered a question I was going to post too!!Changes to my work pattern mean I'm unable to access the 'web' for 4 days each week,and consequently have been 'losing' some download links:-wavePete