Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

So, Why AM I Having Trouble Now With ATI and Clouds?

Guest SoarPics

I just tried a flight in FS9 w/ AS using the RAS Scout. I threw in a Visiontek 3870 OC for the test (sorry I don't have an X2 card here) using the Omega 3.8.442 (7.12) drivers configured with ATI Tray Tools. Here is the METAR for Half Moon Bay where I took off from: KSFO 201456Z 00000KT 10SM FEW009 SCT035 BKN150 13/11 A2997 RMK AO2 SLP149 T01280106 51007. I use AE 256bit DXT clouds. I headed north and flew around, under, and thru the clouds with nary a problem.I don't think this is entirely a VC issue. Perhaps a call to Michael Greenblatt is indeed in order here, Chuck. There's more to the problem than just hardware.Good luck,

Thanks, Greg. Here's a quote from my 2nd or 3rd post here Sunday afternoon:<< THAT'S my problem . . . I have NO idea what the problem is. It's not a faulty card (I've had 3- yes three! --in there), I'm pretty sure it's not heat because it's fine until the AS clouds come in and I do that at start up. >>

>I'm not sure if you guys saw in my original post but I'm only>running FS9 -- not FSX -- albeit a really loaded FS9, so the>FSX issues are also eliminated.>Just curious. Why are you not running FSX when you got such a powerful system?

I just built the system and have as yet to get 'er settled down. I have both and I don't see any great advantage to going with FSX any way. I'm not putting it down at all mind you so lets not go there. It's just that I'm invested in FS9, and not in FSX.

Guest SoarPics

Thanks, Greg. Here's a quote from my 2nd or 3rd post here Sunday afternoon:<< THAT'S my problem . . . I have NO idea what the problem is. It's not a faulty card (I've had 3- yes three! --in there), I'm pretty sure it's not heat because it's fine until the AS clouds come in and I do that at start up. >>Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer (I still hadn't finished my first cup of coffee :-) ). Many folks believe the current crop of ATI cards can't do clouds in MSFS, and that's clearly wrong. Those folks would have everyone believe the 3800 cards are the cause (i.e. being unable to handle clouds), I believe the cards are instead the symptom.You seem to be having multiple problems, and clouds in FS would be my least concern until the flashing lines/screen corruption is resolved. You've probably tried this (you seem to have been rather thorough in preliminary diagnosis of the issue), but I would use Windows Add/Remove function to hose the Chipset drivers as well as the video drivers, followed by a reboot into Safe Mode to use DriverCleaner to clean the system of both the Chipset and video drivers. Then reboot into Windows to install the latest Chipset drivers for your MB, reboot to install the latest DirectX 9.0c, then reboot to install the video drivers.Attack the screen corruption and you might be surprised how the VC then handles MSFS clouds. Not saying that for sure, but the clear first priority is the screen corruption.Regards,

Greg:I've done most of what you suggest, but I have not done anything to the chipset drivers. I feel like my MoBo IS choking somewhere and I just haven't had time to mess with it. The reason I say this is I tried some real quick, moderate O/Cing last night, mainly to the memory and the CPU -- real moderate increases, mind you, just to see what I could do. Even with the slightest increases in clocking I end up with a BSOD. I've never replaced chipset drivers, I usually just flash the BIOS with the latest versions from the manufactuer. This is my first ASUS board -- do I download the chipset drivers from Intel or Omega? Or ASUS?I won't be doing anything exotic now until after the long weekend, though. I'm looking forward getting this bear settled down and get some flying time in. :-)

Guest SoarPics

...do I download the chipset drivers from Intel or Omega? Or ASUS?From ASUS.Your system should slice thru FS9 with ease... if I was a betting man I'd put money on something choking the PCI bus (and that could be a resolution as simple as chipset drivers).Just curious... in an earlier post you mentioned doing a reformat and reinstall. Have you done so yet? Are you willing? If so, be sure to get the (latest) chipset drivers, DirectX9.0c, and video drivers ready to use (install) before you format the drive. In the past I burned all my drivers/DirectX to a CD, though nowadays a USB thumb drive is easier and quicker. I simply pop the drive in and start installing (starting with the chipset drivers, reboot, DirectX, reboot, video drivers, etc.).

Thanks Greg. I'll look into that immediately. I already deleted and reinstalled FS9, yesterday -- I was trying to avoid an XP reinstall, because of all the bloody updates. If SP3 is a rollup it might not be so bad -- I'll have to look into that, although there's questions about SP3. If I go as far as a complete reformat and XP reinstall, maybe I'll just go to SP2 and see how FS9 runs after that.One thing I have to keep reminding myself: I'm driving 3 monitors with 3 different views, too. I don't think 60 FPS is a reasonable expectation on my part, do you?

Hi Chuck,You don't need to reinstall XP. On my previous PC I installed it once and it's still there 5 years later. I know some people like to wipe and reinstall but I've never understood why unless you have to because of a hd failure.But, for future reference you might be interested to know that if you did have to reinstall XP you can save downloading all the patches and Service Packs. You only need the latest SP anyway as they're cumulative.Have a look here. It's not something that's mentioned much here but it was easy to do and saved a load of hassle. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.aspBTW, with my 3870X2 I was hitting over 200fps in FS9. I've locked it at 50fps and it's wonderful flying around Aerosoft Manhattan with all the sliders on max and still getting 40+. One day FSX will do that but I might be 6ft under by then! :-lol Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest D17S

"I've never replaced chipset drivers, I usually just flash the BIOS with the latest versions from the manufactuer."Ahh, now we're getting somewhere. The chipset drivers and the bios updates are entirely different software elements. As you have been doing, the bios is updated with a piece of software, generally provided during boot via a floppy or other removable media. The chipset drivers are installed in Windows after the op system has been installed. Here's the computer build-up, software install sequence . . . straight from an Asus communication with me (I have P5K-e sound problems). "Start over. Make sure you have a FRESH install of your OS on THIS motherboard and that the drive was partitioned and formatted on this motherboard. Make sure that you install the most recent drivers in the following order:1) Chipset/Motherboard drivers (Example, Intel INF for Intel chipsets, Etc.) Do this BEFORE loading any other driver!2) Latest version of Direct X.3) Latest Video Card drivers.4) SCSI/ATA drivers5) Lan/NIC drivers6) Modem drivers, then any other drivers7) Finally, install sound card drivers LAST!Please call our phone support center at 812-282-ASUS if you need further troubleshooting assistance and our RMA Deparmtent if you need to send that motherboard in for repair at 510-739-3777 opt. 2Best Regards,Tim P.Asus Tech Support(812) 282-ASUS" I agree that you should get your chipset drivers from the Asus site. These are Intel drivers and they are available on Intel's site here: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-026488.htmHowever Intel's "X" series chips are not specified. For all practical Technical purposes, I believe the X38/48 chips are just later production, bin-sorted P35s that will run a little faster. Since (for all practical Technical purposes, I believe) the X38/48 and the P35s are identical chips, the P35 chipset driver from this page is the one to use. The Asus-page drivers tend to be a year old. However, if I was doing this, I would Verify this Theory first. Until then, use the Asus-page drivers.First, follow the Asus build-up sequence specifically and get the op system back. Download and install non-beta, non-Omega, Nvida/ATI WHQL drivers directly from the Nvidia/ATI site. No nHanser/Catalyst or beta f(ancy)Hanser anything.Then load FS9(X) as virgin install(s) and run some test flights. Don't load anything else. Now, how does it run? If it's OK here, it's Not a hardware issue. From what I understand, the addon's sequence-of-install is important too. After all this, an extra 5 hours sounds cheap to me.

Guest SoarPics

...I'm driving 3 monitors with 3 different views, too. I don't think 60 FPS is a reasonable expectation on my part, do you?I don't put much stock in fps... fluidity is what's important to me.First thing is to clean the system, make sure your chipset drivers, DirectX, and video drivers all see a good install, and then start testing with a stock FS. Only after you're satisfied that the stock sim is smooth should you start installing add-ons one at a time... starting with Active Sky. And then test more after each add-on is aboard.Thoroughness won't be quick, but it will yield good troubleshooting results.Another thing you should clarify here... more info on your "600W PS".Thanks,

Thank you all! I will do everything suggested here and in the proper order and report back on results.One other thing: The AIProbe software is giving me an alert that my Northbridge temp is up around 49c, but my CPU is at 33c. Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?Thank you again for all your suggestions!PS: Greg: The power supply has already been eliminated as a problem. Thanks anyway though.

Guest D17S

AIProbe is notoriously inaccurate. Don't worry about it or even use that temp monitor. If an Intel X38 Northbridge catches fire at a 400Mhz FSB, put out the fire and RMA the board.

>>AIProbe is notoriously inaccurate. That's what I'd heard and assumed, but thought I would double check here as long as I'm being a nag about everything else.Thank you.

Well, guys, it looks like we may have done it - and just as I was about to give up and return the whole kit 'n caboodle to TigerDirect.I've been flying for 2 days straight now on my new Homebuilt, including an overnight from KPHL to EGKK with ActiveSky and Radar Contact, and it appears this thing has finally got some legs under her. I actually saw 120 FPS for a brief time yesterday -- on MY computer, running all 3 screens! I simply can't believe it -- I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning.I took all of your suggestions, ending up by finally doing the following: like Sam suggested, I completely wiped the hard drive and started from scratch (thanks for the XP SP2 slipstreaming info, Ray), STILL had the same problem, so I then changed out the motherboard for an identical Maximus I had bought (leaving the chipset alone and using the one off the install cd), and even put in a new 750W power supply. I also put in 2 extra fans - another case fan and an LED "spot" fan, for a total of 5 "coordinated air flow" fans - and the faster memory (final specs are below). After all that, I wish I could point to one thing that was the definitive fix, but I was getting those same flashing texure lines when I was just running the base FS9 install and no addons whatsoever. I simply found that the more I flew, the smoother things got and finally, I could start adding things on and the more things just "settled down". It's almost like the software and hardware had to seat itself in and find it's way through the pipes once or twice before it could flow like it should. For now I'm sticking with the 8800 GTX vid card but will put the ATI X2 back in for a day or so and try the new CCC manager I just read about, just to make sure it's as handicapped as I think it is when compared to the nVidia.Thank you all again for all you help and encouragement. I would have given up a week ago and ended up buying an Alienware or something that wasn't exactly what I wanted if it weren't for your help. I've included a couple of photos to show you what you've helped me create.Oh, yeah. And I'm sticking with FS9 for now too -- I'm going to take a little break from tweaking for a while and just . . . flyyyyy. :-wave http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188945.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188946.jpg