Sign in to follow this  
Guest realkewl

2 Monitors FSX Vista-32 problem

Guest realkewl

Hi,Was wondering if anybody was able to succesfully fix this know issue. There's actually, a KB for it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=enSupposed to be a Vista problem running FSX.The problem for those who are not aware is:I am running FSX using two monitors of different resolutions. 22" and 17" The 22" serves as my main monitor the 17" serves as my view out the right window. I set this up by choosing a new window and choosing VC and drag over to my 17" (right) and expand to full size 1280x102422" is set to 1680x1050. They both work great in VC mode. However, when you take the main to 2D mode the screen is unreadable and flickers. I tried to apply the MS patch but it tells me that the patch does not apply to me. I called MS tech support for FSX. And the guy wanted to do a live meeting. However, he started deleting things in my FSX directory saying they do not support add-ons. So, I was very ###### because it took me some time to set my system up the way I wanted it. So, as you can guess I ended the live meeting with MS tech support. Got my system back to where it was before the MS support call.If anyone has had this problem please help.Thanks,Ray

Guest realkewl

Ok fixed my problem. First, I was running a EVGA 7900 GS KO 256MB Graphics card that ran fine using Vista. However, once I added a second monitor some views would not display correctly e.g. 2D mode.Here's what I did:I bought a new Graphis card. EVGA 8600 GTS 512MB. Works great with both monitors no problem. I still have my other card installed and will use it to host a third monitor soon.Hope this helps someone, because when I called Microsft they wanted to start deleting things from my computer. This was my very first time being disapponited with Micrsoft support. They are normally pretty good.See you at FL320,-Ray

>>when you take the main to 2D mode the screen is unreadable and >>flickers.Ray, can you tell me in what way your screen was "unreadable"? I've been battling flashing colored lines in complex sceneries (it seems mainly at FlyTampa KSEA, KSFO, and KBOS) and I have a 19 inch digital flat in the center and 2 17 inch VGA flats - one on either side. I'm running all 3 at windowed, 2D ONLY, (NO 3D) at 1280 x 1024 resolution, and I'm out of things to try to fix it. All seems ok up in the higher altitudes, but I have a strong machine and FS2004 should be no problems, whatever I throw at it.Thank you!

Guest realkewl

>>>when you take the main to 2D mode the screen is unreadable>and >>flickers.>>Ray, can you tell me in what way your screen was "unreadable"?> >>I've been battling flashing colored lines in complex sceneries>(it seems mainly at FlyTampa KSEA, KSFO, and KBOS) and I have>a 19 inch digital flat in the center and 2 17 inch VGA flats ->one on either side. I'm running all 3 at windowed, 2D ONLY,>(NO 3D) at 1280 x 1024 resolution, and I'm out of things to>try to fix it. All seems ok up in the higher altitudes, but I>have a strong machine and FS2004 should be no problems,>whatever I throw at it.>>Thank you!>Hi Chuck,Sure...but only if you promise to help me during my next setup...which sounds very similar to yours. But first, here's what was happening to me. I had (1) 22W monitor and (1) 17 monitor running a geForce 7900 GS KO 256MB. In 3D mode they both worked great. However, when you switched the main monitor (22w) to 2D mode the background was bleeding through the controls. So I would still see part of my 3D inside my 2D, if that makes since. To further explain if I put my main 22w in spot view and hit the 2D mode I would see clouds and stuff bleed through the controls and it would flicker. I upgraded my card to geForce 8600 GTS 512MB and they both work great now. So, here's my new challenge I put the 7900 GS KO in another PCI slot and bought another monitor 17w. Here's what I have (1)17w, (1)22w, and (1)17 monitors. All three monitors work great in Vista-32. However, when I start FSX I get an error saying that one of my monitors does not meet minimum requirements. However, If I disable the 8600GTS ( running (1)22w and (1)17 monitor) then FSX runs fine using 7900 GS KO (running 17w monitor) OR, if I disable the 7900 GS KO (running 17w monitor) then FSX runs fine using the 8600 GTS (running 22w and 17 monitors) However, I cannot get it to run all three at the same time. If you can help that would be great...I'll search and see what others have done. I'm wondering if it is because my 7900 GS KO loads first and only has one monitor that FSX is trying to use the default monitor for that card...which no default monitor is connected. Thanks,Ray

No, I'm having different video issues than you. Also, I'm running good ol' XP, and run two of my monitors through a Matrox Dual Head to Go (Analog Edition, no less!) and none are wide screens (thank the maker).BUT, are you running in full screen or windowed mode? And (this is probably a dumb question) you have extended your windows desktop across all 3 monitors, setting the resolution on all 3 appropriately, right?

Guest realkewl

>No, I'm having different video issues than you. Also, I'm>running good ol' XP, and run two of my monitors through a>Matrox Dual Head to Go (Analog Edition, no less!) and none are>wide screens (thank the maker).>>BUT, are you running in full screen or windowed mode? And>(this is probably a dumb question) you have extended your>windows desktop across all 3 monitors, setting the resolution>on all 3 appropriately, right?Running in Window mode. Yes, I have extended my desktop to the windows. It works fine in Vista no problems. However, FSX will not start and I get the error saying my video card does not meet min. requirements. Not sure what the problem is.Thanks,Ray

Sorry, Ray. I came back to FS9 from FSX over a year and a half ago and X sits patiently on my shelf. I'm not familiar with this issue. I just Googled a bit on it and couldn't find anything specific to 3 Screens in Vista/FSX. If this is an inherent issue with the two programs, you might have to consider the Dual Head to Go. OR, you could give WideView a shot if you have another computer.<< www.wideview.it >>I really feel your pain, man. I couldn't fly with anything less than 3 screens.

Guest realkewl

Chuck...thanks for your help and listening. If I find something out I'll post it.-RaySee you @ FL320

Please. If I ever get my new rig settled down to where the graphics are popping all over the place, I intend to finally load up FSX and give it a go again. But if I can't get 3 screens, forget it! Having the latest and greatest just isn't worth that much to me.Take a look at WideView, too. It may just be the answer.Good luck, and,

Guest realkewl

Ok fixed my problem and you're not going to believe it. But here it goes.First, here's the current setupgeForce 7900 GS KO 256MBgeForce 8600 GTS 512MBSeems, like FSX cannot work with two different cards series 7's vs 8's series cards. Last night around 8Pm after trying everything possible and calling Microsft games support...just for them to tell me they cannot provide support for multiple monitors... x( . I decided to just buy the same card and try it. So, I now have (2) geForce 8600 GTS 512 and everything works well. Only had time to fly for about 30 minutes. Needed to eat and do some house work...since this issue had consumed all of my time this week.Oh, before I forget the DirectX 10 option will not work, even though both cards are DirectX 10 capable. Not sure...but I'm tired of tweaking every little thing.Well, fly tonight and tst it out.-Ray

>>Needed to eat and do some house work...since this issue had >>consumed all of my time this week.Eat?? Housework?? How can you think of such trivial things when your Sim awaits your attention? :-)