Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

Strange program closing-Paranoid

Guest JIMJAM

Not sure where to post this but...The last two nights when I went to shut down XP, I get that message simular to, a program is not running but will not close . The progress meter moves very slow and I have to hit cancel to kill it,No biggie but the name appears to be a small random name.Ones like, be7 cfh dt9 ect.I run task manager and see no progs named that.I run Adaware,Sybot Search and destroy and AVG.They run clean or pick up the occasionsal cookies.A random named prog runnng in the background is making me paranoid.Any suggestions welcomed.

>Not sure where to post this but...>The last two nights when I went to shut down XP, I get that>message simular to, a program is not running but will not>close . The progress meter moves very slow and I have to hit>cancel to kill it,>No biggie but the name appears to be a small random name.>Ones like, be7 cfh dt9 ect.>I run task manager and see no progs named that.>I run Adaware,Sybot Search and destroy and AVG.>They run clean or pick up the occasionsal cookies.>A random named prog runnng in the background is making me>paranoid.>Any suggestions welcomed.>Random names are weird. I would go to a Windows forum.Try here http://forums.guru3d.com/ down near the bottom is an Operating Systems forum.

You might try installing process explorer from MS sysinternals and see if it can find more info on what it is.scott s..

Guest JIMJAM

oHHH my brain is boiling*:-* Too much information.........Ran the regmon,filemon and process explorer.Thats the only one I could understand.The regmon and filemon are going to take some time to absorb.I know from lessons learned that fooling with the registry and deleting unknown can lead to trouble.I used a rootkit revealer last year and really screwed up my system.Also any Registry cleaners can ruin your system in a mouse click.My fault.....Nothing jumped out at me as being suspicious but the nasty stuff is hard to find.Recently I got the Vundo virus and spent 2 days trying to get rid of it.It was one of those morphing,changing names and locations which made it hard to kill.Thanks for the advice. Jim