Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

8800GTX problems in FSX - software or hardware?

I hope someone can help with a problem I have with a newly acquired 8800GTX because it's driving me mad.I changed from a 3870X2 because of poor performance in cloud but since I put this new card in I keep getting lockups in FSX and it's just rebooted after a BSOD. Looking at the Error Log I'm having problems with nHancer via .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting.The symptoms are this. Flying along in full forward view after a few minutes the sim locks solid. The view is still present but the screen keeps flickering every few seconds. I don't know whether it's a hardware or software problem but the error log suggests nHancer may be responsible.It's very difficult to get control in Windows to close FSX - sometimes I can but often I can't and I have to perform a hard reboot.I'm using the 174.74 drivers and nhancer v2.3.2. I have Bilinear enabled in FSX. I have followed Nick's advice about settings in FSX so I don't know what else to do. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?Guidance would be appreciated. I'm attaching two screenshots of my nHancer settings (Profile and Global). Here is the error log of the nHancer crash...EventType clr20r3, P1 nhancer.exe, P2 2.3.2.0, P3 47284e5b, P4 system.windows.forms, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 471ebf68, P7 151b, P8 12f, P9 system.runtime.remoting.remoti ng, P10 NIL.Thanks.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188847.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188848.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What OS are you running? Make sure you've applied Vista SP1 if you're running Vista...due to the OOM error issue with 768meg vidcards.As you know I too have a BFG 8800GTX that I just bought, and I am still in the process of configuring it perfectly...a process which I expect will take some more weeks for me. Once again I'm going out of town this weekend and so I won't be able to fly or tweak my 8800GTX :(I would start by removing nHancer entirely, and see if the problem clears.Incidentally, right now, I am not using nHancer at all, because I had some performance issues with it. I'm not sure if they are related to the AA I was running but I'll have to figure that out later. I've never heard of any nHancer + 8800GTX issues but then I haven't researched it much yet either.I am using the latest WHQL driver, which is 169.something, with no nHancer, and I have zero problems in FS. This would be your starting point--latest WHQL and no nHancer. Only after establishing this working setup would I attempt to load nHancer.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Rhett,Thanks for your quick reply. I'm running XP SP2. The problem also occurs with FS9 so I know it's not FSX related.I tried disabling the nHancer service and using the nVidia Control Panel for my settings but FSX didn't get beyond the splash screen before the flashing started.I will take your advice and uninstall nHancer and stay with 174.74. If the problem persists I will change to the WHQL 169 driver. I only installed the 174.74 drivers as they seemed popular.If the problem persists with the WHQL drivers than it could be a hardware issue but I'm hoping it's not.So do you use nVidia Control Panel for your AA/AF settings?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest JIMJAM

I am running XP but managed to "knock on wood" eliminate menu CTDs and other problems. Everything looks good ut I still cannot get aaaf to totally eliminte runway/taxiway wavies.Problem is, I do not know what I did.Here are some things thought I did do.Removed and reloaded vid drivers.Deleted and reinstalled Nhancer.Rebooted in betreen all reinstalls.Deleted and let FSX rebuild the fsx.cfg fileWent to c/windows/system32/nvapps and found the fsx profile and deleted it.If Nhancer had a duplicate but disabled FSX profile, I changed its executable to another unused program. Just in case it was avtivating.Some of these steps are probably uneeded and I would follow Nicks and others advice.I also reverted back from the lastest driver as I was getting stutters.Good Luck and let us know.

Hi JIMJAM,After uninstalling nHancer and loading my flight from the last saved position I was able to complete it. No further lockups so the finger is pointing at nHancer as the possible culprit.My problems seem to be different to yours. I don't get menu CTDs - just the flickering of the screen which indicates 'death' for FSX/FS9.I'm now thinking it isn't a hardware problem because that would have meant returning the card. My only iss ue so far is which AA setting is considered the best using nVidia Control Panel? There's no equivalent to the 8XS nHancer allows.Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest JIMJAM

Well I still get all kinds of wiredness but I THINK it tied to my use of pos bias to get rid of shimmering.Sometimes the tool tips are blacked out. The ATC text has this scrambled rainbow effect.I will sometimes see those quick small black boxes at airports.I have seen the white flashes and there is another post about it.There are ALOT of post and all have the same commeon denominator. NVIDIA.....But with both camps pointing fingers at each, many have given up.You can always try Ntune and see what happens. Also go to Guru3d and snoop around. Alot of good info in their forums.Problem is, with so many variables and systems, what works for some doesnt for others.But we all know that.

Guest JIMJAM

I have a Asus mob and bios.These progs on my system and FSX DO NOT get along.Any use of their NOS,AI overclocking.There is also another one that I cannot remember the name, but causes alot of problems simular to yours. Let me look it up.....

I just had another lockup so nHancer isn't purely to blame. I've downloaded the 169 WHQL drivers and may try those later.With all those issues you list it seems shameful that so many problems can exist with an established card. It makes you feel like giving up! :-madI may look at Guru3D but to be honest I feel like banging my head against a wall. It does seem more stable without nHancer and maybe reverting back to WHQL drivers from betas may provide more stability.The strange this is I don't see any of the issues you list.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest JIMJAM

Nvidia GPU EX- In bios causes havok for me if on/auto.Rebuild your fsx.cfg.Do not get to worked up. There are ALOT of unhappy Nvidia users and its not just FSX.I spent $150 on 3 games and 2 did not work.Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 would not load saying my card was not supported yet it is and they even have a program which checks your system and mine passed.Yet another guy with my exact same card and basic setup had NO problems.It can be maddening.

Well I never had any issues with the 3870X2 whatsoever so I'd be surprised if Asus and FSX cannot get along. Remember the lock-ups also occurred in FS9 with the same AA/AF settings.I'm not overclocking at present but will consider it only when I have a stable system.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

<>Is this the Asus BIOS or the one for the card? I'm not aware of the setting.It is frustrating because this is not a new card so the drivers should be solid. For all the criticism levelled at ATI for their performance shortcomings in FSX I never had this kind of problem with the 3870X2.I feel sorry for you that having paid good money for the card and those games you're not able to enjoy them. I had a look at Guru3D and there are people reporting all sort of problems with all drivers!I uninstalled the 174.74 and installed 169.21 WHQL and 30 minutes into a flight it's still running. Fingers remain firmly crossed. Maybe there was a clue in the 174.74 drivers - beta! :-madI agree it can be frustrating. What drivers are you with now and are you using any other nVidia utility with them?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest UlfB

Hi Ray,I'm using nVIDIA 175.16 drivers (WHQL). I don't use nHancer any more, but RivaTuner (graphic settings and OC).I have set FSX settings to Trilinear and AA is checked. In RivaTuner I've set AA to 2x and have checked "Enhance the application settings". Gives me pretty good graphics in FSX. No lockups or other problems. I do run FSX in DX9 only.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest JIMJAM

I went back to one of the 169s not sure which.I am also running Nhancer. Without it I get ZERO aa/af.My fps is good,no stutters.I have mever had problems with ActiveSkyX but I had to delete it off.I was having wind wierdness,still, and it was causeing BAD stutters.I am simply growing tired of troubleshooting and changing drivers,settings and chasing after these rays of light post I run into.I bought a PS3 and been having a BLAST.3 games finished with NO CTDs ect.And now you can even "automatic" download patches.Of course the graphics are no where near the PC but its getting closer and the gameplay is most important.Until joysticks,mouse ect are mainstream on the consoles, a real flight sim is still years away.What would really help us the most is some real Competition for MS and Nvidia.I bought and offered my $$$ support for X-plane but its no real threat.I am afraid that if AMD and ATI fall much further behind, MS and Nvidia will just continue their arrogant ways.We do not need more and more fixes,patches and hardware.What we need is a unified hardware and software system.Ok Im whining again and this has been beaten to death. I am going to purchase the 1930s Hughes racer from Aerosoft.I have concluded FSX is made for props and this looks like a real challenge.Good luck to ya.

>>I will take your advice and uninstall nHancer and stay with>174.74. If the problem persists I will change to the WHQL 169>driver. I only installed the 174.74 drivers as they seemed>popular.>>If the problem persists with the WHQL drivers than it could be>a hardware issue but I'm hoping it's not.>>So do you use nVidia Control Panel for your AA/AF settings?>Yep I am using the nVidia Control Panel for AA/AF right now. That will probably change once I get back to nHancer. *if* I get back to nHancer...I think you may want to try the WHQL driver. I think 174.74 is beta, and I wouldn't try to troubleshoot a problem that could potentially be driver-related, with a beta driver.I can tell you, that my system (BFG 8800GTX with WHQL169, e8500 at stock speed, DDR3 1600 at stock speed) is completely 100% stable. I think I can now make that claim because I've flown probably 40 FS hours on it, including a couple of long flights where the sys heated up fully and the mem got saturated. I have also Prime95'ed it (which is actually less stressful than a long FSX session, imo) for about 24 hours straight.Now, when I had nHancer and 8xS going, it was not stable. I'll try it again at some point but for now, I am enjoying the awesome FS experience I am getting. CLS DC-10-30F from LHBP-->KMIA. Very fun!RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Ulf,Thanks for replying. Those sound like the latest WHQL drivers. I might try them but at the moment I'm over 1 hour into a flight and so far no lockups. I'm suspicious of the beta 174.74 drivers.I looked at Riva Tuner but coming from ATI and tools I was used to it looked a little daunting. I might revisit RivaTuner once I have stability. It would be useful to know GPU temps but I'm not interested in o/cing the card.I'm using nVidia Control Panel for my AA/AF as it allows a bit more flexibility than FSX settings. I have AA at 4XQ (I think) and AF at 16X.I too run in DX9 mode on XP SP2. I couldn't contemplate battling with Vista just now! :-lol

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather