Sign in to follow this  
Guest cloudflyer

FS2004 and overclock info needed.

Guest cloudflyer

I just put this system together.Antec 900 caseQX9650Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6Seasonic SS-650HT 650WEVGA 9800GTXWD 10K 16M SATA WD1500AHFDWD 7200 360CORS TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX The computer runs good. XP Pro SP3 built only for FS2004 and related programs. I see no stuttering with an average 60FPS. I've seen peaks of 230FPS. All sliders are maxed and a Samsung 27" at 1920x1200. However once moderate clouds are introduced, the frames drop to 20-30 and not buttery smooth but flyable. With heavy clouds sometimes I'm dropping into single digits. I use ASV and FE. I loaded FE lower resolution clouds. Not much different. AI traffic seems to have no hit on the system whether at 100% or disabled.When I first booted up I saw the CPU running at 2.66. I changed the clock multiplier to 9 (3ghz) than set it at 10 which gives me 3.33ghz. I've been trying to learn all this overclocking stuff and I'm starting to understand some. The question is, will overclocking the mobo, video card and memory give me noticable improvement when lots of clouds are loading the system?Michael

That's a nice CPU. Any dense cloud formations will hurt the FPS, regardless of what system you have. Check out AnandTech's 9650 articlehttp://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...aspx?i=3184&p=2Or the Xtreme systems forumhttp://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56Generally, yes, OCing will yield better results, off all the components, FSX eats CPU cycles, as many as it can in fact. You already have a nice video card too. What you might want is faster RAM, like PC2 8500 etcJust make sure you have the cooling to offset the temperatures produced from OCing. EDIT: I might have misunderstood your post. you say you're not going to OC the CPU further? But you want to know if Ocing the rest of your components will help? In that case, for FS9, probably not a lot. The video card is already high end. Like I said above, faster RAM would help in a CPU overclock, any maybe tighter timings would help a little. what you should do is invest in a nice cooler, like the tuniq tower, or thermalright 120 ultra and OC your CPU to 4Ghz. It can be done hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have the same CPU and run it a 400x10 = 4Ghz.I have the CPU voltage at the intel limit of 1.3625,and use the 120 Extreme cooler.Everything thing helps but going from 3-4Ghz is still just a 33% overclock. Fps will increase at most 33% but usually less.Clouds were always an issue with FS9 as I recall,FSX handles them much better.You have about the best CPU now, and probably could overclock it some more. About all else you could do is to consider the new GX 280 nVidia video card when released next month.It has 512 bit memory bus, 2x the size of the 9800s.According the Phil Taylor the bus size is key to FSX performance,not sure how it effects clouds on FS9.Overclocking the video card IMO offers little gain in FS9 or FSX.

Guest cloudflyer

I'm planning to up the CPU to 4ghz. I heard the stock cooler is acceptable for that. Right now the highest temps under load are 39C. I read that to get the best performance, I need to reach the highest FSB and then adjust the multiplier. Also read about locking the PCI clockrate. Need to read more here. So I'll leave the video card alone if that won't make a noticable improvement. That particular Corsair memory was recommended by someone saying I can overclock it easily to match the increases on the MoBo. I'm not yet understanding the memory overclock. If someone could give me some start point instructions and settings, I'll try.Michael

Guest D17S

That DDR800 ram might run with a 450mhz FSB, but there will be No performance advantage to either a higher FSB or running that ram at a faster speed. There's simply no point in running these at faster speeds. It will make No difference. Sorry. It won't hurt to lock the PCI buss at 100. It should autolock, but safety first. I agree. Leave the Vcard for later. Once you really settle in, play a bit. It's like changing to a new tire tread style. You can't tell a difference unless you are Really used to the old ones. 39C seems low. Use CoreTemp as your temp measurement tool. You may need aftermarker cooling if you want to run that CPU at 4. Don't simply trust the factory cooler up there. You'll need to increase CPU core voltage a bit to get to 4. There's some QX threads around. So, just run your FSB to 400, experiment with Vcore and set your CPU's multi to 10. No need to mess with anything else in the Bios. Let Otto (auto) handle it. Run Prime 95 for 10 minutes to check your interim O/Cing adventures. When you're happy, run Prime overnight and you're done. Go fly.

Guest cloudflyer

Thanks for the reply Sam. I guess what I need to know now is, do I just up the FSB to 400 from 333 and tweak the vcore if needed? Will the memory work fine in this condition or is there something I need to do ratio wise? I'm using coretemp for those readings.Michael

Guest D17S

DDR means Double the Data Rate (DDR) of the Front Side Buss. DDR800 means the memory is rated to run at up to 800Mhz. If you set the FSB to 400Mhz, the ram will run at 800. No adjustments needed.Up the FSB, reset the multi and and tweak Vcore. That's it . . . ahhh, get cooling too. This one's fine (+ a 120mm fan).http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1735

Guest cloudflyer

OK.....So I upped the FSB to 400 and set the multi at 9 for the moment. Locked the PCI and set the chip voltage to auto. Running at 3.66ghz and top temps are around 48C. I'll look into an aftermarket cooler before I take it any higher. One question: Will setting to 64 bit make any difference? XP Pro SP3.

Guest D17S

Temp's fine. The Q6600 can run up to 95C before it begins to autothrottle. You'll have to look in to the Qx. Setting 64 bit? What's that? There's nothing to set that I know of. You can load a 64bit operating system, but that'll only help out that pesky out-of-memory issue and lets you use > ~ 3.5G-O-Ram. Other than that, that's 'bout all the 64 bit op system is good for, for now.

Guest cloudflyer

The CPU is a QX9650. In the bios there was a choice of 32 or 64 bit. I have 4gb (2x2) of ram. If I change to 64bit OS, will I be using all the memory installed and will it be useful in FS9?Thanks for all your time

Guest D17S

Don't touch that setting 'til you find out what it really does. Sounds spooky. The op system installed determines the 32/64 bit-ness. It's NoT a bios setting.By all means install a the Vista64 bit op system. You'll see all your ram and that ain't bad, for FS9/FSX or anything else.