Sign in to follow this  
Guest iwf

FSx & AMD

Guest iwf

Anyone any comments about using AMD Athlon processors with FSx?My setup is a AMD 4200+ processor with a 8800GT,newly acquired. I'm awaiting some faster ram, but just before I upgrade the processor to a 6400+ I wonder what people think.I see mostly Intel processors talked about. $ for $ are they any better?thanks

Intel are better, but im happy with my 6000, which im upgrading to 6400, probably wont make much diff but should give a little increase, as for your system it will improve quiet a bit as FSX needs the speed. If you can get DDR2 800meg ram those too upgades will improve things quiet a bit, but b4 you do pick a stop and check the frame rates then upgarde one thing at a time and note the increase. i think the 6400 is 250 at moment in aus quiet cheap.

If your considering RAM, and a processor upgrade, consider getting a new MB as well that supports Intel CPU's. For the extra $150 you'll have the potential for a top FSX system depending on what Intel CPU and GPU you use.

If your considering RAM, and a processor upgrade, consider getting a new MB as well that supports Intel CPU's. For the extra $150 you'll have the potential for a top FSX system depending on what Intel CPU and GPU you use.

Guest iwf

Thanks guysAny stats on what increase I might expect. I suppose I should go look at Tomhardware and look at some of the test results. I guess it's time to switch. I'd ordered some 800Mhz DDR2 ram so that should worth with a new MB.I see lots of advice up here. My only current limitation is that i'm using a mATX board to fit the smallish cube pc I built.People talk about the x48 boards but that's out of my budget. What

Yeah the Intel cpu line right now is superior to AMD's. However, at the time of purchase, I got a good deal on my AMD6000. So I went with that. For most applications, it works like a charm, but for FSX I wish I had waited for a newer C2D cpu.don't get me wrong, it's a huge leap above my 3700+ SD that I had. But nowadays, there's some really fast cpu's, like the e8500, q9450 etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My system runs FSX very well. I was really surprised at the speed gain after installing SP1. Intel might be better but the prices are rediculous.

Hi iwf,I recently upgraded from a 64X2 4800+ to the 64X2 6400+ and I'm a happy chappy at long last :) The 4800+ is a great processor but FSX needs all the CPU cycles it can get.Current specs:ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (AM2CPU Board), AMD Athlon 64X2 6400+ (BE,3200MHz,Windsor), Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12(1T) (Dual Channel), (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB (Catalyst 7.10 WHQL), SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Drivers version 5.12.0001.1196 WHQL),Antec NeoHE 650W PSU, Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), DirectX 9.0c I chose the "Black Edition" (BE) as it comes without a heatsink and fan. From my research on the Internet the stock cooler is quite a decent one, but to cool this chip properly under all conditions you would be well advised to go for another solution.You do need to know that the 6400+ is one hot puppy and you will need decent cooling to keep her comfortable. Before optimizing the air cooling I monitored core temps with "Core Temp" while running Stress Prime 2004 (Orthos). I found the cpu shut down after 10 mins at 67 degrees C. You should aim to keep her below 63 degrees C if at all possible. If the airflow through your case is adequate and you have a decent cooler on your chip then temps while running FSX will be fine - I've seen mine occasionally peak in the high 50's under full load and the sim remains quite stable. Temps are not really an issue for the X2 6400+ when running software that use the GPU more than the CPU. The beauty of "Core Temp" is you can rely on the accuracy of the digital core temperature sensor readings. It will monitor both cores and you can log the sampled temps over any length of time you like while testing.With "Cool 'n' Quiet" enabled in the BIOS and "Minimal Power Management" selected under Power Options in XP the X2 6400+ will idle in the low to mid 20s.Yes, Intel is king at the moment, but it is perhaps debatable whether we really need these expensive cpus to have an enjoyable smooth experience in FSX. Also, while FS9's performance was great under the X2 4800+ it is now superlative and handles everything thrown at it :)Mike

Guest iwf

Mikethanks for the info. In the end I was able to get a E8400 for just

Hi Ian,I'm quite sure you won't be disappointed :)For me it was a no brainer as I just couldn't face having to reinstall the whole shebang. I use my PC for everything and not just for simming. It would take a disaster to force such a monumental effort. When I purchased the ASRock 939-Dual SATA2 board 2 years ago I did so on the understanding it was, to a degree, future proofed. This latest upgrade is about as far as I can go and, performance-wise, the hike has been worthwhile. I'm now quite happy with FSX. Everything else ran just fine under the X2 4800+ but, in the end, it was FSX that forced this decision. Regards,Mike