Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

I Have seen 120 FPS . . . And It Was Good.

After weeks of hard work, diligence, tenacity and ESPECIALLY all of your help and patience, I'm finally flying again -- and the picture is beautiful from up here! My new computer hit 120+ FPS in FS9 a couple of times today, in an Overland 737-800 with Ultimate Terrain and Flight Environment installed.There are still some huge bugs to iron out in this box (still getting flashes of colorful lines every so often around FL10K) but I wanted to thank all of you folks a LOT for hanging in there with me, and helping a novice computer builder along the way. I'll post more tomorrow on how I finally arrived at this point, but I'm taking my wife to Les Miz tonight and I have to run.AVSIM and it's members is such a great resource. Thank you again.If you don't remember, here are my two original posts on this matter:<< http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=38853&page=3 >><< http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=39205&page= >>

Quick question, is the 737 you mentioned a freeware or payware?, I have been looking for the most realistic Airbus or 737 freeware in the Library, got a Dreamfleet but for some reason it did not load correct, so still looking............appreciate anyone's input....B42L8

Dick -- have you tried any of the POSKY planes? They're about as real as freeware gets. Combine them with the freeware panel here in the forums and you've got a pretty sweet combo for nothing but the time it took you to install.The Overland I'm flying isn't what I would call "realistic" and it's payware.

And there was peace and harmony throughout the land lolhehe, that's awesome that you got it running well though!now post some pics in the screenshot forum!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Trelane:I've started reading through some your threads and i'll have to try some of it. It's not quite as powerful as your system I don't believe.You said in your first post here that you would post the info on how you arrived at such great performance. Could you do so - I'd be so thankful to see what you've done and if I could incorporate any of it on my own machine? I'm only running one monitor off mine :)Thanks.Paul.

Paul:There's really not a whole lot I can say other than what's in my post No. #39470 in that thread (link 2 or 3 posts above this one). There was no magic bullet, just good hardware -- and patience. It only took me an evening to put it all together and boot up WinXP, but then it took me over 4 more weeks of replacing parts, tweaking, posting and just plain frustration to get it to the point where I can now start my serious customizations.FWIW, the 120 FPS was on FS 9.1 at FL 150 or so -- AI was at 60% and most sliders at least 80% right, but no FS9.cfg tweaks of any kind. And with all the hardware sitting in boxes behind me on the floor, waiting to be returned I can honestly say that I currently own a 4,000 dollar 1,800 dollar computer. :-lol Other than the above thread here are the other two I started that really helped me.(This is the one that started it all; my final specs were based on Jeff's system (thank you Jeff!) :) << http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=37707 >> and here are a couple more:<< http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=38853&page=4 >><< http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=39205 >>I will finish with this little bit of advice: Never, ever, EVER try a new flight sim build using a new hard drive imaged from another computer. No matter HOW well the other computer runs MSFS!! EVER!!! :-hang

Thanks for the reminder about POSKY, they are good!! Now the strange part, I downloaded the osERJ145LR_Eagle and ExpressJet, (did the last version as well, changing the aircraft.cfg, and text files), and the folder shows up in the FS9/aircraft/osERJ folders as it should, BUT, when I start FS9, and try to find the aircraft, it does not show up?? Neither one??...........I have loaded a lot of sircraft, payware and freeware, so I think I know what I am doing, but this has me befuddled........the readme says to "unzip" to the root FS9/aircraft folder, but I just opened it in the temp location, and copy/pasted osERJ folder into FS9/aircraft folder just like many others, so can't figure what I did wrong........any ideas from all the senior simmers out there?? thanks, B42L8

Dick:Look under manufacturer "Project Opensky" -- I think that's where the ERJ shows up. If not, look in the aircraft.cfg file, and see what it says under "ui_manufacturer=". That should tell you where to look for it.If that entry is blank, just type in the manufacturer you want it to appear under, re-save the changed .cfg file (make sure you don't save it as a .txt file) and restart FS.You then should be good to go.

>"So let it be written, so let it be done!">>Thank you Ryan! Here's a couple of Pics on one of my threads>about this (toward the bottom of the thread):Hey I really like your dog...(he/she) looks nice.... my wife and I want a dog, but one that is already house trained HAHHA!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Dogs are the best. I have two and they're love and companionship is worth every spot on my stupid old carpet. After all, my carpet never tells me how glad it is when I get home. :-)

Guest D17S

That 'settling-in' process is nothing unusual. I was initially was drawn to technical things because(theoretically) their behavior would be either black or white, on of off, it works or it does not. Boy was I shocked. I never expected to encounter such 'tude from a simple machine. I too have experienced the settling-in process as new components 'get to know' each other. I fully recognize there IS a technical reason all this is going on, but long ago I also recognized the smartest troubleshooting move can be to simply acknowledge my incapacity and just let 'Nature' run its course. I'm sure I could figure it out, but at what personal cost? I'd rather spend the time figuring out the Dec Now function in a PMDG FMC. That's more inline with my real interest in this technology.All that component swapping complicated your battle immeasurably . . . and was (likely) 90% of the reason for it. I too used to consider: "It's digital. So it will either initially work or not. If it does not 'just work' it's broke." For instance with my shinny new DX10 Vcard, DX10 would not come up in FSX. Painfully, I let it go. Finally FSX came up in DX10. I'm just going to look to the sky and say a quite thanks. When all else fails, I'm not above faith-based approach. I've specifically found that swapping back to Nvidia from an ATI install is a buster. Nature does not want to let go of its precious ATI friends. It will fight you to the end. Swapping back and forth between Nvidia and ATI is problem prone. Hummm, wonder why? Think some Greater Power might be encouraging this problematic endeavor? After long years of trial and error, you Might be able to reduce the frustration factor (ask Nick 'bout that). Just didn't want you to think the experience you just had was going to get any better without simply more of the same difficult experience you've been through.Point being, think twice about swapping out a working Nvidia install for an ATI experiment. Eventually this experimenting for the sake of experiment (that simply results in a raggidy runnin' box) will get old.

>>Point being, think twice about swapping out a working Nvidia install for an ATI experiment. Eventually this experimenting for the sake of experiment (that simply results in a raggidy runnin' box) will get old.<

Guest D17S

I'm bring up an FS9 install too. GE will install, but won't run on Vista 64, so I'm trying a manually install. Texture resolution is Nothing like FSX, but it's better than FS9's default. Followed Nick's FE install advice. Sky's pretty darn good. Dropped in some trees from BEV. All sliders full right. AI, AG, shadows, the works. MegaScenery is a bust. The MS texture res used to look good. But after living with FSX for a while, it's downright ugly. I can't believe I use to fly over LA/NYC endlessly with that visual goop. I'd almost rather use the FS9's GE textures (assuming I actually loaded them right). I can really tell a difference between the FSG mesh (FS9vFSX). I lost those beautiful Hudson River banks in FS9 on my Manhattan Flyby benchie. The Kai Tak scenery (9 Dragons in the library) is sweet. Load that up for sure. Takeoff from Macau and head on over in the PMDG 744. Frames stay at . . . ??? Just shut it off. The airplane and scenery load is totally fluid. The trick with that approach is to not chicken-out on that final turn at the checkerboard. Peel the roofs right off those buildings. That approach alone is worth the trouble. In FSX, with a virtually identical "look," it's a slide show.The RNP to KDCA's 19 is a treat too. The library has the DC and KDCA scenery and Dan Down has the STAR. It's a river run. Try not to crash into the Lincoln Memorial as you're coming 'round that last corner at 300'. The eyecandy cannot compare to FSX, but at least I can fly a serious airplane. On the other hand, that Sitka approach with DX10 working lets me fly with some serious scenery. Come-on SandyBridge/FS11.

>>The Kai Tak scenery (9 Dragons in the library) is sweet. Load that up for sure. Takeoff from Macau and . . .Of course I've seen it and seen lots of posts about it but never considered loading it up because I haven't flown in 'that direction' much. (Still digging the US, S. America and Europe!) But I definately will now -- maybe next Friday night, and then fly it all weekend.FSX still sits on my shelf, though, beconing me to load it up on a dedicated partition -- someday soon, I'm sure. But for now, I'm just going to fly.BTW, you know what I bought tonight, just because I wanted to take a short hop somewhere new and wanted to celebrate a little? Blue Print's KIAD. What a great package for just 15 bucks! I was really kind of surprised.Oh, nuts! Gotta go -- just missed my altitude restriction on approach to KATL because I was too busy typing.Thanks again for everything -- to you and all who helped.