Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Foibles of a PC "enthusiast" . . . or, do I go console yet?

Oy! Well, for those who have followed my quest for knowledge and performance, with a healthy dose of greed . . .ASUS sent me back a refurbed P5E. I'm guessing it belonged to another "enthusiast" just like me. It doesn't fly nearly as well as my first P5E. Not even close. As I look back, I realize I had a REALLY excellent mainboard and memory combo, well before I gave it it's final test for max performance. I was on vacation for 2 weeks, and very nicely when I returned home, on my porch was the RMA'd replacement. I first tried to resuscitate a clone of my former XP install using the repair install procedure. All looked very well, except with either the OCZ or mushkin modules, couldn't do much of a memory overclock at all by comparison to my first P5E. Best latency: 63.2ns. That's up from 51.9ns with the OCZ. Quite a change. I had to install FSX, since this wasn't in my original cloned boot copy. Doesn't run quite as well, as you might guess. Smoothness has deteriorated, image quality is downgraded, but not by much. The real problem is that sound now pops n clicks, with either the onboard SoundMax, or with a Delta soundcard I use for giga. Never had this problem with the old rig. So, I'm thinking, I'll try a total clean XP install. I do this, and same same, sound pops n clicks. I now decide the ASUS replacement has *issues*. So, I contacted newegg, and they graciously sold me another for some discount, and overnighted to me, no charge for the upped shipped.Brand new P5E arrives. Beep, then 4 short beeps: Hardware Component Failure. Oh God, he says . . .Double checked all component connections--all secure and seated. Took a shot at another startup, and it runs! Install XP fresh . . .At STOCK BIOS settings, memory at default vDIMM, I start getting BSOD's. Switch to OCZ (from mushkins at stock)----BSOD's. The frickin new P5E appears hosed!As I say, I had no idea how good my former rig was until all this came down. So, packed up the new P5E, and am asking Newegg for a refund, or credit on to another mainboard model. I am typing this on the ASUS RMA replacement, which has issues. I will probably send it back to ASUS for another RMA. I have a guess that the refurbed boards coming back are somewhat resuscitated parts from the foibles of other, PC enthusiasts . . . Oy! I got some hours in on this now . . .Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Nick_N

NoelDid you check your PSU for failure... What you are describing, including the old board smells like a possible partial rail failureIf its a single rail PSU, then no worriesBTWhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=39452&page= 610FSBhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188995.jpg:-hah >DDR3 2280 barrier @ 1T CMD with a 41.2LtcyThat was a typo... I meant DDR3 2000 1T @ 41.2Ltcy which is what I run

Wow, that is awesome Nick! I thought about the PS. Not sure where I'd start with that evaluation since I have no testing equipment. I know it is a reputable PC Power and Cooling 750W single rail model that came highly recommended.What makes you think it might be my PS? For what it's worth, I am able to run FSX at 4.2Ghz, it's just the mem latency is poor, and worse, the audio issue is absolutely a show stopper, hence I need a fix. QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|8GB Muskin PC-6400|ASUS P5E|EVGA 8800GT @700|Seagate SATA 2 x 4|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro|Vista 64--soon to be installed

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Nick_N

If its a PCP&C, I doubt that is the problemI use the 750 model myself for a few of my towers and they are massive work horses. They are phasing out the 750 for their 850 model but none the less, as long as you can confirm there does not appear to be any 12, 3.3, 5v drop under a load, I am sure the PSU is fine.. but check thatYou should check at boot/idle and under a load.. look for 12, 3 and 5V dropsThe P5E is actually an Asus Maximus that has been trimmed down... they were hit and miss boards... some were just drop dead awesome and others were complete dudsMake sure the BIOS is up to date too... the same as the one you were running

>You should check at boot/idle and under a load.. look for 12,>3 and 5V dropsNick, how does one check for v drops? Know nothin' about it . . .>Make sure the BIOS is up to date too... the same as the one>you were runningNick, if I can get credit towards a P5e3-Premium, what do you think of this memory?:Model Brand CORSAIR Model WIN3X40961600C7DHXIN Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Tech Spec Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB) Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Cas Latency 7 Timing Intel XMP SPD Certified Profile 7-7-7-20 Heat Spreader Yes Manufacturer Warranty Parts Lifetime limited Labor Lifetime limited At 1650 CALWI would be 8.5. It's pretty pricey at around $700 for 2 x 2gb modules, which I must have. It uses lower voltage and others at the egg have o'c it to 1800. I would be much more conservative . . . nowadays . . . QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|8GB Muskin PC-6400|ASUS P5E|EVGA 8800GT @700|Seagate SATA 2 x 4|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro|Vista 64--soon to be installed

Noel

That's very pricey.I got IDENTICALLY timed Patriot sticks (DDR3 1600 cas7 at 7-7-7-20) for $500, and they are mated to my P5E3-Premium wifi board.The only difference I see is that the Corsair sticks are on the "approved" list for use with the P5E3 Premium, and the Patriots are not at present.However I can verify they work with the board :) I need to get to overclocking it but so far, I've spent all my time flying. Perhaps when I overclock, I'll learn that I should have bought the Corsairs instead, but I doubt it.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Oh, and regarding the foibles of a PC enthusiast...don't get discouraged--hardware is better today than it has ever been. I have blown up motherboards, and have seen smoke pouring out of power supplies, while I watched with grim dismay.This is probably why I am indeed more conservative today. But then again, I don't fiddle with computers as much as I used to, either. I don't have time for failures, so I don't push it too hard.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

I also am a recovering PC tweaker OverClocker.I was one of those energy drink chugging,2am 3dmark running fool with that crazed look trying to squeaze out that 1 more fps or score.My good freind owns a computer store and MANY a morning I would be waiting at his shop with a dead computer in hand.I Had, MUST, NEEDED the most cutting edge bleeding hardware available.I was a tech Guinea pig. Pay top $$$,find out its not supported and buggy. By the time the developers implement its new features and/or drivers, its 1/2 the price and the new latest greatest is out.Repeat........I had freinds who spend small fortunes tuning their cars to get that extra few horsepower only to blow em up so I understand the breed.FSX and especially Crysis have a large following of pc enthusiast.I have seen 12 page long,knock down drag out fights with people getting banned over 1t or 2t bios settings.The Avsim forums are turning into a soap opera over a dissed programmer.To each his own.