Hi ,I am going to buy a new processor but can't decide wich one.A quad 9455 or a dual 8500.It is for a watercooled system and i'm going to overclock it al least trying. :-)Wich one is the best .Thanks in advance.G

The quad has a 8x mult and the dual has a 9.5x mult, meaning the dual will be easier to over clock,and will generally overclock higher than the quad.The new 45nm CPUs are usually voltage limited, both cpus have a 1.3625v upper limit. Even with decent air cooling you'll hit the voltage limit often before heat becomes an issue.So to get 3.8Ghz the quad 9450 needs a 475Mhz FSB ...difficult even with water cooling.The duo 8500 needs just a 400 fsb for 3.8Ghz, and will run cooler, in fact air cooling should be fine.Do you have other uses for a quad?

Hi,No for the moment i don't but since the prices are about the same at the moment i was wondering wich one is the best for fs.I read somewhere that fs is better with higher processor speeds and that a e8500 can reach those higher speeds.My videocard is a MSI 8800 ultra overclocked version so i think that the card is fast enough.G

Guest D17S

Why not a Q6600? It's got a 9 multi and goes to 3.6 with a 400MHz FSB. + All you need is DDR800 ram. Save some dough on the water rig too. There's no need for it. Clock for clock, there's nothing special about the Penryn. Get the best of both worlds. This platform's gonna be obsolete in 3 ta 6 months anyway.