Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Never saw this one before, need some advice...

So this one has me a bit lost. Can an O/C affect a PCIE slot, especially considering PCIE was locked in the BIOS? I did crank up the NB and SB voltages to hold the 4.45 OC so I "guess" that is what did it but I would have thought if I locked PCIE in the BIOS they would be safe regardless of the OC...Here is the situation:I started having BSOD's but only on one of my two 8800 GTX cards. It was very strange. I tried drivers etc... but the BSOD's starting getting worse. Then, the card that was BSOD started to see 10-12 FPS in FS???So I disabled that card and fired up AM3, used only my secondary and sure enough 355 FPS as soon as started. Disable card 2, enable card 1 and AquaMark drops to 115FPS? So I "assumed" my 8800 GTX had crapped out on me. What a pain in the A**" with an SLI waterblock on the cards :(BUT before I ordered another card I took the "good" card and put it in the #1 PCIE slot. I fired back up and BANG 115 FPS in AM3 again. SOOO it wasn't the card but the PCIE slot on the mobo... I have another board on the way but my question is did I bring this about myself with the OC or was it just a fluke?What do the experts think? If it was the OC I will relax to 4.2 from 4.5 which did not require the NB/SB voltage bumps but I really thought PCIE would have been locked to the BIOS. I appreciate the input guys.Weird....-Paul Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Thanks for replying Jack, i really appreciate it.Here are my voltages. Keep in mind I am liquid to the CPU, Mobo, and GFX cards...CPU 1.51 Still within liquid limits for an E8500...CPU PLL 1.56 showing GreenNB 1.55 showing Yellow but far from redDRAM 1.76FSB Term AutoSB AutoLoadLine Calibration AutoCPU GTL AutoNB GTL AutoDDR3 ARef AutoDDR3 BRef AutoDDR Controller AutoSB 1.5 Voltage 1.60 showing GreenFSB Strap to NB is set to Auto and PCIE Frequency is locked to 100I also relaxed the settings a little so I am running 450x9.5 and DDR3 1353 just to put a little less load...Also, this board had LED's onboard to show OC Limits and I am not in the red on anything, temps are great and the rest of the system appears to be rock solid. I just did a 2M superPi in 22 seconds and scored 255k in Aquamark3.If I put this same 8800 that just nailed these numbers in that upper PCIE slot the system gets really unhappy and it is 50/50 if she will even boot with anything in it anymore...Needless to say I just busted out Acronis and backed up both Raid Arrays. Fortunately with the same exact board I should be able to just restore the images and go. I do not want to go back to the same OC level and fry a 2nd board though. That is why I am trying to figure out if it was self induced or not ;)Thanks again,-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Stinking SOB!!! I MUST have done this to myself!!!Peg Link Force X1 was enabled. I just disabled it, switched the video card back to PCIE Slot 1 and got the same 255k again.I absolutely CAN NOT believe I did this. Thanks Jack-Paul <-------------- IdiotPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest Nick_N

I was just going to ask what PEG LINK was set toLOLWasn't sure but from the description and since you did not clock the PCIe buss it seemed like a BIOS setting

Peg Link? I had that on my Asus A8N-E :) Is this a known detriment to performance? If so, I did not know that.I also had a peg leg, in another life. arrr.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

LOL Rhett...You would have been right again Nick!There are 2 settings. You want Peg Link Enabled, you do not want force X1 enabled as that takes a 16x slot to 1x. That is what happened to me and crushed my system to its knees. Incidentally, look at this review to see what the mobo is capable of. I am so far within limits it isn't even funny LOL!http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2245&page=6Here is a quote from the review..."With a Northbridge voltage of 1.75V the Asus Maximus Extreme reached a top speed of 545 MHz FSB."Yeah, I am good LOL...Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk