Sign in to follow this  
Breeze

CPU Cooler for P5E3 Premium

Can someone recommend a CPU cooler for a Q9450 that will fit an ASUS P5E3 Premium MB. I purchased a Zalman 9500A but could not get it installed as the clamp hits the cooling fins on the motherboard. Are there any coolers that will fit this MB?Any recommendations much appreciated.Ken

--- Jim  ---

>Can someone recommend a CPU cooler for a Q9450 that will fit>an ASUS P5E3 Premium MB. I purchased a Zalman 9500A but could>not get it installed as the clamp hits the cooling fins on the>motherboard. Are there any coolers that will fit this MB?>>Any recommendations much appreciated.>>KenI'm using a Zalman 9500A just fine on my P5E3 Premium. I have also used a Zalman 9700 without issue. I have had no issues with any clearances and with either cooler. Both of my coolers came with two mounting clips. One clip is long and clips on one side and then clips on th other side with alot of pressure. The other clip is shorter and affixes with a a screw on each side.I used the shorter clip when installing the cooler on the P5E3 Premium.http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...uiet+CPU+Cooler

I am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with that motherboard (P5E3 Premium). It fits just fine...it has clips that snap in. They don't snap in very easily--it is kind of a rude install that might scare the feint-of-heart, but it seems to hold well and cool well.FYI I'm using a Silverstone TJ09 case.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest djt01

>Can someone recommend a CPU cooler for a Q9450 that will fit>an ASUS P5E3 Premium MB. I purchased a Zalman 9500A but could>not get it installed as the clamp hits the cooling fins on the>motherboard. Are there any coolers that will fit this MB?>>Any recommendations much appreciated.>>KenThe Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme with a Scythe S-FLEX fan is still the best you

Thanks for the recommendations on the coolers. I was looking at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and the Scythe SCNJ-CU1000 120mm Ninja Copper as an alternative. I appreciate your recommendations. I wonder if the Scythe is any good.I was following the installation instructions for the Zalman 9500A which stated to use the long clip. I never thought about using the shorter clip with screws. I haven't returned it yet so I'll see if I can find some screws that will work with it.The Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme seems the way to go however NewEgg is out, wouldn't you know. They seem to be out of most everything lately. I'll have to find another retailer.Thanks again for all the recommendations. I'll see if I can get this machine together now.Ken

--- Jim  ---

Rhett,Slightly OT, but how is the OCing going with the new E8500?Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>Rhett,>>Slightly OT, but how is the OCing going with the new E8500?>>GaryIt's not going...right now anyway.Playing around, I ran it to 3.8 (400 x 9.5) but I haven't gotten into any serious tweaking with it. I am presently running at stock speed because I want to get my FSX set up the way I want first before I start o/c'ing. Even at stock speed FSX is vfast.When I do o/c, I am going to do some detailed testing using my Heathrow torture test saved flight.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>The Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme with a Scythe S-FLEX fan is>still the best you

--- Jim  ---

Yes, your motherboard should have a three pin header marked CPU that you plug the CPU fan into. If you use the power splitter instead, your motherboard cannot control nor monitor the fan speed, so use the motherboard header in preference.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Ok, thanks Gary. The motherboard actually has a four pin header marked CPU fan. The fan has three pins.It looks like the power splitter that came with the fan is set up to plug into the 12V line, I think it's 12V; and also plug into the motherboard. I'm not sure what that is all about. I just want to make sure the motherboard will power the fan with just the 3 pin plug.Thanks!Ken

--- Jim  ---

You should not need to use the power splitter at all. If the three pin fan connector keys in without forcing to three of the four pin header, then it should work fine. The stock cooler has a four pin connector, which is why there are more pins than you actually need.It should look like in this picture (note the fourth pin not being used)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189218.jpgSorry for the blurry picture, but you should get the idea.Gary

That's what I have Gary. It keys fine with the three pins. Thanks for resting my mind.Hopefully I'll be ready to startup the machine later today. I have an Antec 900 case and the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme barely fits.Ken

--- Jim  ---