Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

PCI Express x16 Compatible Mobo Question

Hi GuysSorry if this is a stupid question but i wonder if anyone could clarifya quick point.I'm looking to upgrade to a 8800GTX or 9800GTX graphics card and they require a x16 PCI Express connection:-http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130449According to the spec, my mobo, a Gigabyte GA965P-DS3, does indeed, have the x16 PCI express connection. However, i've seen PCI Express 2.0 mentioned regarding grahics cards and this has confused me slightly. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2456Are they one of the same or is my PCI Express x16 non-compatible ?Many thanksGary

Guest jimcooper1

All PCI Express 2.0 motherboards are compatible with PCI Express 1.1 graphics cards and vice versa.8800GTX is PCIe 1.1 9800GTX is PCIe 2.0Your MB is PCIe 1.1 but either card will work.With your MB I'd go for the 8800GTX - its got 50% more Memory and it

Guest ugotkevin

ha ha Gary, I like your quote! Yep those cards will work w/ your mobo no prob.

Many thanks for fast replies, guys.Please forgive me but I have another question.I currently use a two monitor setup which, using the ATI catalyst control, i can stretch horizontally - giving an effective resolution of 2560 x 1024. Not being familiar with NVidia cards, is there a similar utility that will do the exact same thing ?Thanks againGary

Guest noell

Yup. You just open the Nvidia Control panel to access the nView display mode settings. The mode you are referring to (in Nvidia jargon) is called Horizontal Span mode....Noell

Guest D17S

I to stretch a single FS across 3 monitors. Span will get it in XP, but not in Vista. Oh well.