Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

To index or not to index - that is the question

>>But wouldn't you think that for a OS that includes the word>Home in the title it would not enable this service.:-hmmm A lot of home users LIKE to do a lot of file searches.They don't know what C: is, much less a "directory". I have been unfortunate enough to have seen people like this. They use the Search function to find every program on a daily basis. For them CI is a nice feature I guess.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nick_N

Yea, I agreebut in this day and age, with the speed of storage, CPU, memory amounts,, that type of assistance with search is quite rediculous when you consider its practially the same system since the 90's and it does suck the life out of a computer.I dont have it enabled and my system can find a file burried on my 5th backup drive PDQ

Guest djt01

>Some services should never be shut down.. they can leave your>background in a endless 'loop' trying to access a service just>to poll it and all that removes cycles while in action behind>the scenes.Nick,Could you give me an example or of one such service that would cause an endless

Hi Nick,<>Got a link?<>I use Ken Salter's FSAlacrity to close non-essential services and to load the programs I require on 3 networked PCs. After these programs/services have been terminated there is an option to defrag memory presumably allowing the space taken by those to be used by the loaded programs. Wouldn't that give me the same advantage as not starting them at bootup?I appreciate that in these days of powerful processors and humungous amounts of RAM the closure of these will not make a huge difference to FS smoothness. Closing non-essential programs is probably more of a placebo effect but still worthwhile in my view.Anyway, I'll read your tips and see how close I am to your routine. Running associated FS programs on separate PCs via WideFS is probably the biggest improvement anyone can do. It rather negates the need for multiple core processors certainly with the current versions of FS.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Nick_N

DCOMCOM+EVENTIt really depends because certain software, and even drivers, can also have a dependency on a service. Once system may be A-OK to shut down a service, and another may have problemsThat

Guest djt01

>>DCOM>>COM+EVENT>>>It really depends because certain software, and even drivers,>can also have a dependency on a service. Once system may be>A-OK to shut down a service, and another may have problems>>That

Guest Nick_N

FSX displays frame rate spikes normally if you run 'unlimited' and especially outside of heavy urbanI run unlimited around the bad-boy airports and city areas and then slip it down to locked 30 when outside those areasYou never saw the list?http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1208959973/0#0the thread has just about everything needed to light a fire under XP if you follow it very carefully and do not skip anything. If you use multiple drives, the defrag passes must be repeated for each drive exactly as outline, except the idle process RUN command can be skipped for any drive other that the Windows partition.Always reboot between defrag passes and never touch the system for anything while the defrag is runningJust make sure your install is from a Windows SP2 disk... not SP1 with the SP2 web installer. If not you can fall prey to this MS duckup with the use of the defrag I listhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/941715/enThe web installer SP2 will not upgrade the HAL correctly on many systems and especially older Dells

Guest Nick_N

No problem with SP3Use v8.6 for both XP and Vista but don

Guest djt01

>>>>No problem with SP3>>Use v8.6 for both XP and Vista but don

Guest djt01

Nick,One more thing, in your guide you mention installing the

Guest Nick_N

Yesthats one of those hidden areas you cant access any other way without pulling teeth and that tool will kill a lot of background activity you dont needmake sure that is done LAST because as you add things like net framework, it changes the list.The tweaks are not done until everything is installed and set up to insure the list has the most impactI have never heard of anyone having trouble with O&O on a modern, Genuine SP2 disk. I hope it does not give you trouble this round

Guest djt01

>>Yes>>thats one of those hidden areas you cant access any other way>without pulling teeth and that tool will kill a lot of>background activity you dont need>>make sure that is done LAST because as you add things like net>framework, it changes the list.>>The tweaks are not done until everything is installed and set>up to insure the list has the most impact>>I have never heard of anyone having trouble with O&O on a>modern, Genuine SP2 disk. I hope it does not give you trouble>this roundI

Guest Nick_N

Its my understanding from communications with O&O they made some corrections to the product with v8.6 which you can download from their site and your 8.5 key will work. I would use v8.6 and it does work with Vista.You will find a link to the 8.6 download in the thread I pointed you toov10 leaves free space clusters between the data fields on the platter which means you can not use the SPACE defrag feature after running a name defrag for any reason or it destroys the benefit of the name defrag. O&O is aware of the issue and is working with MS to come up with a solution which I think was brought on by Vista for that version.