Sign in to follow this  
Guest proggerD

Building a new system for FS...opinions and advice welcome!

Guest D17S

This conversation really isn't helpful to, nor focused toward toward those that Have already spent the dough (or recognized the obvious bang v buck dynamic!) However those that Haven't (yet), might find it helpful.

Guest proggerD

>You're right on target. What's the mobo? I'm using a 1080p>(which is 1920x1080, btw). I had an 8800GT and came across an>9800GTX. I can tell NO difference between the two cards.>However, the GTX280 will be out in a couple of weeks. It has a>gig-0-ram and 256 shaders (v 512k/128 for the current gen).>I'm a little concerned the 256 shaders will make no difference>cuz FS is CPU bound. However I'm interested to see the>gig-O-ram's effect on scenery loading. In any case, I'm not>expecting much. We'll just have to wait and see. >>There's no need for SLI (or the GTX280's 256 shaders?). At>1080p, all my video related sliders are full right with the>single 88/98. >>I have a rack full of the seagate -11 and they've been fine.>Unless you just have dollars to burn, the raptors are more>marketing/bragging-rights related. >>Do Not mod anything for that 1333FSB, please! You are going to>use simple bios adjustments to O/C the FSB to 400mhz (aka>1600) anyway to get that Q to 3.6 . . . . right?>>Awesome...right on target is what I like to hear! The mobo is a standard Dell t3400 part...hence the desire to 'pad mod' the chip, which may or may not be done. It is based off of the intel X38 chipset. I understand that 1080p = 1920x1080 too...was going for the pc resolution in my post of ~1920x1200 or so to see if anyone was running at that resolution. Thanks so much for the advice and opinions on my system...I'll be sure to benchmark it when it is all ready and post some results if anyone is interested!

Check my post in this page....how much of a hit.......I use 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 ....both work just fine.Abe